The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Lots of full and frank discussions at Mercedes right now, I am sure. But it does add some spice to the season, and Ferrari proving good over a race-distance is also promising. Lando continues to shine, much to the discomfort of the Honey-Badger. And that Aston Martin is also a welcome newcomer to the upper end of the results sheet. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The result is great for the championship but I pity whoever has the job of making a 1 hour highlights programme out of that. About 30 seconds should do it....

Nothing to see here - move along please.....................

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I put the highlights programme on to record, i may well delete it unwatched.  Oh well, the rest of the F1 series will return to tracks where overtaking is at least possible with modern cars.  Normal service resumed?

As for the Monaco GP, perhaps its time it was led away and put out of it's misery...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

As for the Monaco GP, perhaps its time it was led away and put out of it's misery...

Unfortunately extremely unlikely, it's worth too much... Perhaps the solution would be to run it with early 1960s cars, that way they could at least overtake...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, the Monaco GP was pretty boring wasn't it. About the only on track overtake by Vettel after coming out the pits was never even shown properly on TV either. A very bad weekend for Mercedes and I'm sure there will be some tough questions being asked around their briefing table before the next race. 

There was action in the WRC this weekend too. Rally Portugal that had far more intense action over the last three days in my opinion. Multiple Driver's trading best times and a few crashing out from good positions. It was won by Elfyn Evans which I'm really happy about :good:

I personally feel Rally Drivers are far more talented than GP drivers. Being able to do the speeds they do on loose surfaces requires a huge amount of commitment and talent.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Lots of full and frank discussions at Mercedes right now, I am sure. But it does add some spice to the season, and Ferrari proving good over a race-distance is also promising. Lando continues to shine, much to the discomfort of the Honey-Badger. And that Aston Martin is also a welcome newcomer to the upper end of the results sheet. 

Some discussions. Monaco is a weak track for Mercedes, but it is now only 1 out of 23.

Why did they pit Hamilton first of all? Ferrari showed a few years ago that the undercut does not work when Vettel overcut Raikkonen.

Everyone was faster on worn soft tyres than they were on new hard or mediums. Until Stroll pitted, Perez had the fastest lap on softs, not Verstappen on hards.

I was disappointed with Stroll's pace one he was on soft tyres. He may have set the fastest lap at one stage butm once on softs, he continued to fall further back from Hamilton for a few laps, allowing him to pit later just to set the fastest lap. I expected him to be inside Hamilton's pit window almost immediately.

Merc really do need to work on their pit stops. It cost them championship points today. RB are consistently quicker in pit stops & I believe the only team to do a sub 2s stop. Sooner or later this will gain them a place on track. All teams have access to video. They must be able to see how RB can be quicker & match, or even beat this.

The overall performance of the Merc should not be a serious concern to them though:

Although I am sure teams would like to win everywhere, a car needs to perform across all the circuits on the calendar. If performance on an atypical twisty track like Monaco has to be sacrificed to make it work better on more tracks, then so be it. The Merc's longer chassis is less well suited to Monaco in particular. It also seems to work better on harder tyres; even though they are marked white, yellow & red, the compounds themselves vary with Monaco running the softest 3 out of 6 compounds.

I did see evidence of 1 pass though: Massive Spin finished ahead of Schumacher. I think this was at the start but we did not get to see it.

It will be interesting to see how much difference the flexi rear wing makes; RB have to stiffen theirs up & it seems Merc are designing theirs with a little more flex, but we will not see this until Paul Ricard.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

I personally feel Rally Drivers are far more talented than GP drivers. Being able to do the speeds they do on loose surfaces requires a huge amount of commitment and talent.  

I'd suggest they are different. How many rally drivers could drive around Monaco at the speeds an F1 Driver does? Very few I'd suggest. The top drivers in any motor sport only get there because they are extremely talented, but like trying to compare one with the other is, I'd suggest, the same as trying to compare top drivers from different eras, just impossible. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I did see evidence of 1 pass though: Massive Spin finished ahead of Schumacher. I think this was at the start but we did not get to see it.

Mick started at the back (owing to not having set a qualifying time). He passed Marzipan up the inside of the Hairpin on the first lap - I'm not sure how or where the positions swapped back.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I'd suggest they are different. How many rally drivers could drive around Monaco at the speeds an F1 Driver does? Very few I'd suggest. 

There has been a crossover of some F1 drivers to WRC and they aquitted themselves quite well. A comparison for the streets of Monaco is a Finnish forest stage at 130mph with no safety barriers and a lot of rock and trees to hit. I was there in 2009 and I remember watching Kimi head into a ditch with a momentary lapse of concentration. He was unhurt and when speaking to us said that the concentration required for WRC was twice that for F1.

Kimi admitted that more WRC drivers could cross over to F1 than F1 to WRC, but the reality of WRC to F1 just wouldn't happen. Take the case of 9 times WRC champion Sebastien Loeb, after a career in WRC he tested for Red Bull and was 8th out of 17 but wasn't granted a super license

However, this plan was scuppered when he was not granted an FIA Super Licence, rendering him ineligible to race in F1 for the foreseeable future as he had not done enough circuit racing at lower levels.

There was no doubting his skill but F1 is a closed shop, the likes of Marzipan can get a super license but Loeb couldn't.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sébastien_Loeb

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, RJS1977 said:

Mick started at the back (owing to not having set a qualifying time). He passed Marzipan up the inside of the Hairpin on the first lap - I'm not sure how or where the positions swapped back.

I thought I saw him ahead at one stage.

I criticised the TV director at Portimau for missing loads of action by following the leaders (which caused many to say it was a boring race...but it wasn;t, the TV just missed everything).

I can understand them missing this one though; especially when it appears to have been the only on-track pass.

Another thing: No safety car...& nobody whacked a barrier (at least not during the race) ... & there were no arguments about track limits. I guess they can all manage keep it on the track when they try! It just proves how rubbish it is for them to be allowed to exceed track limits at some turns but not others.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

. I guess they can all manage keep it on the track when they try have to!

There - fixed it for you.

:)

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

There has been a crossover of some F1 drivers to WRC and they aquitted themselves quite well. A comparison for the streets of Monaco is a Finnish forest stage at 130mph with no safety barriers and a lot of rock and trees to hit. I was there in 2009 and I remember watching Kimi head into a ditch with a momentary lapse of concentration. He was unhurt and when speaking to us said that the concentration required for WRC was twice that for F1.

I'd say that pretty much every rally stage is like a lap of Monaco, lots and lots of things to hit. You have to have 100% concentration 100% of the time if you want to be on the pace. A Lot is mentioned about having the rhythm and drivers who are well in the lead tend to still set fast times because they're comfortable at that rhythm. Backing off and 'cruising to the end' often isn't the best thing to do in rally.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

I'd say that pretty much every rally stage is like a lap of Monaco,

And there lies the difference, after a stage that can be as short as 5 miles they get

a road section to the next stage , rinse and repeat , not exactly 60 plus laps at

full speed . Don't get me wrong , I admire the top string rally drivers a great

deal .

I can remember when a rally was a continuous event over several days , all day

and night too . Think 60's and 70's RAC , all round the country from south to

north and back again , servicing at the roadside , hundreds of miles covered ,

now the same three day event can  consist of maybe 200 kilometers of competitive

action and a chance to sleep at the end of the day . Even then though they had road

sections so it was never full concentration for a two hour period .

But back to F1 , I followed today's as it was on Sky's text format , it seemed so

dull I have'nt even bothered with the highlights .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

And there lies the difference, after a stage that can be as short as 5 miles they get

a road section to the next stage , rinse and repeat , not exactly 60 plus laps at

full speed . Don't get me wrong , I admire the top string rally drivers a great

deal .

Conversely though, F1 drivers just need to know 2-4 miles of road in each race and drive it repeatedly.

Rally drivers have to drive hundreds of miles on different roads, albeit with the assistance of pace notes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Conversely though, F1 drivers just need to know 2-4 miles of road in each race and drive it repeatedly.

Rally drivers have to drive hundreds of miles on different roads, albeit with the assistance of pace notes.

But the Rally drivers has someone sat at there side telling them whats coming next 

I remember seeing a Rally drivers been blindfolded & could still get around the stage but a lot slower 

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, mozzer models said:

But the Rally drivers has someone sat at there side telling them whats coming next 

I remember seeing a Rally drivers been blindfolded & could still get around the stage but a lot slower 

And Lewis could probably do that on most circuits receiving instructions over the radio from someone in the pits watching his on board camera feed....

'course, the other thing is that, despite the very high speeds involved, personal risk has been removed from F1 to a degree that would be impossible in any off-road competition format. 

I'd never criticise the hard-won safety that now exists; I can remember the bad old days, but it does mean the mind-set of F1 drivers must differ to that of competitors in sports that retain greater danger. 

Modern F1 competitors can, and do, try things that no sane driver would have attempted in the 1970s, simply because they know it won't end in anything worse than a DNF.   

John

• Agree 2