The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

29 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I think the rules are that if one outside the top 10 gets the fastest lap, it doesn't count for the extra point. And it isn't "carried over" to whoever in the top 10 has the next fastest lap.

I wonder when it will happen that a fast driver - well outside the points - does this to take it away from a rival manufacturers driver sitting in the top 10?

When that happens, nobody scores the point.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

Who invented this "bonus point for the fastest lap" malarky?

All it means is that if the second place driver hasn't a chance of catching the leader, and has a decent lead on the third placed bod, then he ducks into the pits gets some fresh boots and picks up a consolation extra point.

Perhaps its about time it was laid to rest?

It was introduced in 1950, and lasted until 1959.  The present iteration of it was introduced in 2019.

Well I quite like the award of a point for the fastest lap.  Sometimes it is a contrivance, but sometimes it livens up what might be a procession to the chequered flag.  The effort teams make to score the point (or take it from their rivals) shows the extent that they're prepared to scrap over every point.

Before its recent introduction (or reintroduction) many drivers still wanted the honour of securing fastest lap - often against team orders to protect tyres, engines, etc. - particularly to achieve the hat-trick of pole, race win and fastest lap.  Adding the chance to score a single point has increased such passion and is hardly likely to skew the standings over an entire season. 

• Agree 3

Interesting to hear Toto's message to Race Control played out during the coverage yesterday.  Again it was Marzipan, this time seemingly charged before the offence of holding back race leaders.

Is this an indication that the rest of the grid are becoming fed up with the lantern rouge?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EddieB said:

Well I quite like the award of a point for the fastest lap.  Sometimes it is a contrivance, but sometimes it livens up what might be a procession to the chequered flag.  The effort teams make to score the point (or take it from their rivals) shows the extent that they're prepared to scrap over every point.

Before its recent introduction (or reintroduction) many drivers still wanted the honour of securing fastest lap - often against team orders to protect tyres, engines, etc. - particularly to achieve the hat-trick of pole, race win and fastest lap.  Adding the chance to score a single point has increased such passion and is hardly likely to skew the standings over an entire season. 

But in reality it is only the top three drivers who are likely to be fighting it out, based on the relative positions of others in the race.

• They have to have at least a pitstop gap available to the next person behind them
  • They need a car capable of getting the fastest lap
  • They have to leave it very late so that none of the other's can go for it

In the previous race, and yesterday Hamilton could not risk going for fastest lap and stayed out to the end, Verstappen did have a window back to Bottas so could take the risk knowing he had second place regardless.  Bottas usually trailing in no-mans land can usually pit and go for it as well.

So what was developed to give all competitors in the top ten the chance of an extra point and perhaps stop races tailing off at the end, really just goes to one of the top three.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But in reality it is only the top three drivers who are likely to be fighting it out, based on the relative positions of others in the race.

• They have to have at least a pitstop gap available to the next person behind them
  • They need a car capable of getting the fastest lap
  • They have to leave it very late so that none of the other's can go for it

In the previous race, and yesterday Hamilton could not risk going for fastest lap and stayed out to the end, Verstappen did have a window back to Bottas so could take the risk knowing he had second place regardless.  Bottas usually trailing in no-mans land can usually pit and go for it as well.

So what was developed to give all competitors in the top ten the chance of an extra point and perhaps stop races tailing off at the end, really just goes to one of the top three.

Yes....but as we have a two driver, two team head to head for the Championship, those extra points can prove vital. Hamilton may have the advantage now but Verstappen is consistently keeping him honest (and leaving Bottas and Perez in their wake....)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Yes....but as we have a two driver, two team head to head for the Championship, those extra points can prove vital. Hamilton may have the advantage now but Verstappen is consistently keeping him honest (and leaving Bottas and Perez in their wake....)

But that wasn't why they created it, it was to instill some excitement at the end of the race, all it does now is give either Mercedes or Red Bull even more points.

• Agree 2

While the top drivers/teams tend to dominate, fastest lap was achieved by seven drivers (four teams) in 2019 and six drivers (four teams) in 2020.

Interesting that Lewis (54) is still some way behind Michael Schumacher (77) in career fastest laps.  Kimi Raikkonen is third (46).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EddieB said:

While the top drivers/teams tend to dominate, fastest lap was achieved by seven drivers (four teams) in 2019 and six drivers (four teams) in 2020.

Interesting that Lewis (54) is still some way behind Michael Schumacher (77) in career fastest laps.  Kimi Raikkonen is third (46).

But when dominating a championship like he has been doing, why would Hamilton chase a fastest lap with all the inherent risks associated with a pit stop.  To be fair, he seems to be doing the same this season except when he took second place and he did the fastest lap shuffle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

That was my point.........

:D

What Point?

Have you just scored a Point?

That was a quick one:D:laugh::banghead:

Hat, Overalls, Give me a Steering wheel.:dancer:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But when dominating a championship like he has been doing, why would Hamilton chase a fastest lap with all the inherent risks associated with a pit stop.  To be fair, he seems to be doing the same this season except when he took second place and he did the fastest lap shuffle.

When there was no point available for fastest lap, there was no reason to set it. Vettel had a habit of doing this just to make a point when he was in a Red Bull. He would have looked like a right idiot if his engine had blown because he had pushed it unnecessarily hard.

Now there is a point available, anyone within the top 10 having a lead of more than a pit stop ahead of the next can make a late stop & set it.

Fastest lap is all about when you change tyres. Changing specifically to set the fastest lap requires a less than optimum race strategy & is not worth forfeiting a lead for.

Refuelling was part of the race in some of Schumacher's era. This took away some of the advantage of a late stop for fresh tyres because the fuel load was always a lot lower.

I was surprised to see Hamilton on medium tyres after his last stop on Sunday. I thought he would appear of soft tyres, which should have lasted long enough to see him to the end of the race.

I can think of 2 reasons the team chose another set of mediums though:

Maybe he had none left?

Their performance drops off more quickly. Maybe catching Verstappen may have worn them sufficiently to make passing more difficult?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From what I have read it was built into their potential strategies, Mercedes held one set of softs and two sets of mediums for the race, Red Bull only had a single set of each.

The plan to two stop was always there if it was needed, had Hamilton not been overtaken early on the one stop looked more likely, but when trailing the two stop though challenging would result in the lead being taken.

Clever chaps these strategists.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Video unavailable

This video contains content from Formula One Management, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube

Just watched on You Tube and you can really see the difference, but how Lewis could see that  whilst doing everything else in the cockpit is amazing, great bit of footage.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Video unavailable

This video contains content from Formula One Management, who has blocked it from display on this website or application.
Watch on YouTube

It must be detecting the forum as it’s the usual link from YouTube. I’ll add just a link ;) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It must be detecting the forum as it’s the usual link from YouTube. I’ll add just a link ;) 

I just clicked on the words You Tube and it it came up Paul.:good:

• Like 2