The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

22 hours ago, Steadfast said:

And there was me thinking that trophy was being saved for the Cornish grand Prix!

Jo

Davidstow will require some work to be carried out on it, before that one can be added to the F1 calendar.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Red Bull poach five Mercedes engineers for in-house engine facility.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57008545

Thoroughly healthy, if a little destabilising for Merc. Motor racing tech continues to thrive in that area as in nowhere else on earth. Hopefully, Merc has a planned succession-order, bringing in bright young energetic engineers at the bottom. 

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Thoroughly healthy, if a little destabilising for Merc. Motor racing tech continues to thrive in that area as in nowhere else on earth. Hopefully, Merc has a planned succession-order, bringing in bright young energetic engineers at the bottom. 

I just hope that with the new philosophy and influence from LH, that they don't go for skin colour over talent. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I just hope that with the new philosophy and influence from LH, that they don't go for skin colour over talent. 

A true EDI policy should reflect ability & competence (and in that include attitude) over any other trait be that sex, age, race or religion.

There a lot of talented technical people out there who are neither white nor male (not that you would think so based on quite a few F1 teams in the paddock). However, EDI also says people can choose which bits of role suits them so trackside may suit some more than others who prefer to be bashing out calcs & 3D models back in the factory.

As I work in U.K. construction I know what a white male dominated industry looks like. It’s a hard thing to change (a little insanity helps with the long hours, working outdoors in all weathers for modest reward) but clearly it isn’t software programming, banking nor F1 / car manufacture so isn’t ‘sexy’ 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I can't help think there may be something going on. Either RB are throwing a lot of money at luring Mercedes staff away, or there's some reason Merc staff are jumping ship.

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I can't help think there may be something going on. Either RB are throwing a lot of money at luring Mercedes staff away, or there's some reason Merc staff are jumping ship.

It depends on how senior the staff were compared to how senior they will be as well as how many 000s are added to the pay slip.

There has been a lot of shuffling of personnel going on this year anyway due to the budget cap meaning the biggest teams have had to cut back. A lot of key Ferrari people are now with Haas or Alfa for example.

• Agree 3

15 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

There's just a new opportunity. Jobs in Honda's power train development have been in Japan, but for RB they're in the UK. Mercedes are the only other power train supplier based in the UK (Renault and Ferrari being France and Italy I believe). Naturally the RB opportunity is going to attract a lot of people who presently work nearby for Mercedes.

Lots of opportunities will therefore open up at both Mercedes and Red Bull in power trains. Quite possibly the bigger winners from that will be Ferrari and Renault, but time will tell on that.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Would suspect it is the former, becoming an engine manufacturer means as Toto put it, writing big cheques.

They will have an engine for at least 4 cars, possibly more and with Red Bull back in the ascendancy it's an opportunity for Mercedes engineers to get a new challenge.  I am sure Mercedes have a lot more talented people lined up to replace the few that have left, and that is healthy too - you want to churn at senior level to allow others to gravitate or they become disheartened and leave due to lack of opportunities.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The shortened Friday sessions this year seem to be telling us very little. The top 14 cars are covered by less than a second, Stroll being 14th. The Alpines appear to be doing better, and Tsunoda is up with Gasly, but the Red Bulls in 9th and 10th just isn't representative of their performance. Tracks are overcrowded more than we are used to, so FP now starts to look like Q1 with everyone out there at once, but of course some people are doing long-run simulations while others are trying quali laps. On a track not famous for overtaking, this is causing a lot of abortive laps. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

It's probably a win-win

It's already been said that Honda is in Japan and RB is in the UK, naturally they need to recruit. Merc probably need to lose staff due to budget caps.

Not sure about Merc needing to lose staff but it is a great win for the engineering talent in this country. If you are suitably qualified, live in the UK and looking to for work in F1 the number of vacancies has just more than doubled. Fantastic news that more skilled engineering jobs are being brought here rather than going.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Turkey is a desperate choice to replace Canada. It has a terrible record on all sorts of things in real life, exemplified by the recent farce where the lady President of the EU attended with the local EU rep, to talk to Mr Erdogan. Except there was no chair for the lady President to sit on. Two blokes sitting while a lady stands? Rotters to the core!

• Agree 9
  • Funny 1