The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::banghead:

11:55

Wrong way!

Some confusion from Sebastian Vettel in the Aston Martin, who randomly drives into the wrong part of the garage, pretending he was racing for McLaren.

He probably wishes he was, the way they've started the season.

11:56

Team radio - Vettel to Aston Martin

"I'm sorry about that ... it had to happen at some point! Ha! I was wondering why there was nobody there!"

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 2

I had a chuckle when Max complained that he had so much vibration that he could not see where he was going. The team said he should box for safety reasons, and Max replied he would be making an appointment with a dentist after the weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

He seems to have nothing but bad things to say about Portimao:

Verstappen said: "It's super-slippery. I know it is the same for everyone but it is not very enjoyable to drive. The car felt all right. Some work to do for tomorrow but overall it's fine.

"It's very tricky out there and it's a shame because it's all about tyre prep and tyre temperature and it shouldn't be like that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56945679

Alonso said he enjoyed the track, and both Hamilton and Norris seem have found the weekend exciting so far.  Maybe Max just got out of bed the wrong side.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Tyre temperatures seem to be the issue, w some believing Pirelli could have gone for a different compound. 

Same for all, of course. 

Or the track surface too smooth, such that it takes two laps to get the tyres sufficiently warm.  Could be an issue if there’s a safety car tomorrow.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I see there is a suggestion that Sir Lewis is worried he may not get Number 8 this year, so needs to have next year as a back-up. I see it differently. With Max now a real contender, I think Lewis is enjoying the extra challenge, and thinks he could go on enjoying it! He will not have relished the 'slurs' over recent seasons that with the best car his job has been easy.

OTOH, if the car is that good, then why is Bottas so often behind by such a margin? And why on earth was he so slow at Imola that the horrid clash with George - in a Williams FFS! - was even possible? But, as has been said, if Bottas had been consistently faster over recent seasons, what more could Mercedes have won?

Toto has an unenviable decision to make, but is surely in an enviable position in having to do so. Few team principals in recent times have had such a dilemma.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I see there is a suggestion that Sir Lewis is worried he may not get Number 8 this year, so needs to have next year as a back-up. I see it differently. With Max now a real contender, I think Lewis is enjoying the extra challenge, and thinks he could go on enjoying it! He will not have relished the 'slurs' over recent seasons that with the best car his job has been easy.

OTOH, if the car is that good, then why is Bottas so often behind by such a margin? And why on earth was he so slow at Imola that the horrid clash with George - in a Williams FFS! - was even possible? But, as has been said, if Bottas had been consistently faster over recent seasons, what more could Mercedes have won?

Toto has an unenviable decision to make, but is surely in an enviable position in having to do so. Few team principals in recent times have had such a dilemma.

Bottas back to Williams, which seems to be improving, or replace Vettel at Aston Martin, (both with Merc power and Toto input) or Bottas may call it a day and go Rallying in Finland.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Bottas back to Williams, which seems to be improving, or replace Vettel at Aston Martin, (both with Merc power and Toto input) or Bottas may call it a day and go Rallying in Finland.

I can't imagine Bottas wanting to demote himself to a lesser team. I wouldn't. Leave F1 with dignity intact. As for Vettel, he seems to be getting to grips with the AM. While it seems to be but a shadow of the 'Pink Merc' it was alleged to be last year, he may have more motivation to be helping the team get their act together, compared with his Ferrari years when he was required to do everything their way. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I can't imagine Bottas wanting to demote himself to a lesser team. I wouldn't. Leave F1 with dignity intact. As for Vettel, he seems to be getting to grips with the AM. While it seems to be but a shadow of the 'Pink Merc' it was alleged to be last year, he may have more motivation to be helping the team get their act together, compared with his Ferrari years when he was required to do everything their way. 

The Race hasn't started yet, there's plenty of time for The Vet to shame himself.:D:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Perhaps I was expecting too much after last years 58 overtakes as normal service was resumed zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think VB's days are even more numbered especially with Toto coming on the radio to point out he had the fastest car on track, ie, pull your finger out!

Most positive thing was the fastest lap time getting deleted as track limits had been exceeded as it should ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Most positive thing was the fastest lap time getting deleted as track limits had been exceeded as it should ;)

I watched him and thought he'd overdone limits on Turn 14. Not the weekend he'd quite hoped for. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I watched him and thought he'd overdone limits on Turn 14. Not the weekend he'd quite hoped for. 

He looked pretty p*ssed off at the post-race interview when he was told......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Perhaps I was expecting too much after last years 58 overtakes as normal service was resumed zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think VB's days are even more numbered especially with Toto coming on the radio to point out he had the fastest car on track, ie, pull your finger out!

I don't think the television director helped. There was actually quite a lot going on, with the leading positions too.

From the start, Hamilton v Verstappen: Bearing in mind that Verstappen had actually set the best time in Qualy but lost it due to exceeding track limits, it meant their cars should be quite well matched. Isn't this just what most F1 fans had wanted? Then Hamilton got caught out by the safety car restart, losing 2nd to Verstappen, Now we see the opposite battle: Great. After a few consolidation laps, Hamilton put Verstappen under pressure & Verstappen makes an error which compromises his next few corners, providing Hamilton the opportunity he needed to take the place, before catching & passing Bottas for the lead.

I feel Mercedes missed a trick by allowing Red Bull to pit Verstappen before Bottas. I guess this was so Bottas didn't undercut Hamilton?

Norris & Sainz made up some places early on because of their soft tyres, but lost out a little later. These went largely unnoticed because the TV didn't show much of them.

Alonso seemed to have an ordinary first half but made up a lot of places later on. The TV coverage did not show much of his race either.

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Brundle called that straight away. Fair decision but I still don't understand why they only monitor track limits on selected corners. We see cars regularly go wide at certain turns. If it wasn't an advantage, they wouldn't be out there.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Brundle called that straight away. Fair decision but I still don't understand why they only monitor track limits on selected corners. We see cars regularly go wide at certain turns. If it wasn't an advantage, they wouldn't be out there.

There's only a few corners where exceeding limits is an advantage - otherwise they would exceed every corner they could without being penalised for it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There's only a few corners where exceeding limits is an advantage - otherwise they would exceed every corner they could without being penalised for it

But we see cars go wide at the same turn lap after lap because track limits are not being looked at in these places.

If they were not gaining advantage, they wouldn't go wide.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I disagree, it was a good clean race.  Lewis’s pass on Valtteri was stunning, it looked like he was too far back when the DRS ran out.  Some interesting tactical changes that mostly worked out.  As predicted the smoothness of the track surface played its part too.

Another solid drive from Lando, a better Sunday for Danny R. and well done to Ocon.

Unsurprisingly, Marzipan showed again he doesn’t belong in this formula.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

But we see cars go wide at the same turn lap after lap because track limits are not being looked at in these places.

If they were not gaining advantage, they wouldn't go wide.

But equally if all cars can go wide there is no advantage to anyone. I guess it’s enforced where it’s seen as shortening the track?

• Like 1

In fairness to the Drivers and Teams, I don't remember Track Limits being such a big issue in Charlie Whittings days, may be I'm wrong, I won't be offended.

• Like 1

Excellent Race IMHO, I expected a lot of comings together with some of the passes, but all was fair, clean and professional, just what F1 should be.

O.K. apart from Marzipin.

• Agree 2