The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Well that were good :)  Lewis and Max the headliners but some nice mixing it up all the way down. 

Nice to see George actually get someone else to race too. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 3

I guess those catching up with the highlights will have done so by now..

That was why Mercedes wanted to sign Hamilton...not for being able to win in the best car, but for turning a likely 2nd into a win.

The stewards remain poorly inconsistent with track limits. Hamilton & Bottas regularly went wide at turn 4 & it was only after RB told their drivers "if the Merc boys are doing it, then we'll get away with it too" that the stewards tightened up on it...then where did Verstappen get penalised for passing while off the track...turn 4 of course.

When Merc told Hamilton to stop going wide, his reaction was "but I've been consistent all race".

If they set a limit & stick to it, drivers know what they can & cannot get away with.

I did note that neither Verstappen or Horner complained about being penalised for passing while off the track. Verstappen just remarked that he would have accepted a 5 second penalty & simply pulled out more of a gap than that.

Mazepin spins all on his own. Will he get points for that on his super licence?

I loved Vettel's radio message after clouting the rear of Ocon "What is he doing?". Er... he drove in a straight line & broke for the corner, Seb. What else would he have expected him to do?

Terrible start for Perez, but a great recovery.

Norris should be pleased. His new team-mate has a good reputation & he beat him at the first attempt. They must have both felt they had something to prove but raced wheel to wheel without touching.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

On yesterday's showing, seems to be progressing steadily towards it.....

John

Marzepin proved his worth today,,,,,NOT.:banghead:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Well worth waiting for. Perez rightly deserved Driver of the day.

Great result for Norris.

Seb = Hat, Coat, get the Bus home,

I also believe Russel would have been closer than Bottas was to the front 2 in Bottas's Car today.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

What today has proved is that Verstappen is now a mature skilled driver, the young Verstappen would have completely lost his sh!t at being told to hand back the lead.

I was actually stuck at the end who I wanted to win, Hamilton cos he's the champion or Verstappen because he was fastest.

Perez did what he needed and recovered well from a near disaster on the parade lap that appeared not of his making, Bottas was his usual self and then stung further with a poor pitstop from his team.  I think over the season Perez is going to put Bottas under a lot of pressure and perhaps that will be his undoing with Mercedes given he is out of contract at the end of the season guaranteeing Russell a place even if Hamilton decides to do another season.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That was good. For anyone watching just the highlights: You'll enjoy it.

Are we allowed to say anything further yet?

Worth reiterating that debate is fair game as soon as the race is on. If people want to wait for the highlights (as I do) suggest they avoid the thread.

Great race, kudos to Lewis for holding on. Track limits stuff is a right pain. The stewards seem intent on causing more confusion. Vettel is a moron, I love how evident it was that Ocon drove completely straight, not deviating an inch! Marred by the new C4 commentary team, led by a guy who they appear to have plucked out of a local fair ground. Far too “Hollywood”, like he was badly trying to sound like a commentator! Billy Monger brings some good insight, but I find his voice a bit annoying, I accept that’s personal. DC seemed to be on hand in the box, but only chipped in a handful of times. I can see that may push me to Sky, more than the delayed airing, badly clipped highlights and the advert breaks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

Worth reiterating that debate is fair game as soon as the race is on. If people want to wait for the highlights (as I do) suggest they avoid the thread.

Great race, kudos to Lewis for holding on. Track limits stuff is a right pain. The stewards seem intent on causing more confusion. Vettel is a moron, I love how evident it was that Ocon drove completely straight, not deviating an inch! Marred by the new C4 commentary team, led by a guy who they appear to have plucked out of a local fair ground. Far too “Hollywood”, like he was badly trying to sound like a commentator! Billy Monger brings some good insight, but I find his voice a bit annoying, I accept that’s personal. DC seemed to be on hand in the box, but only chipped in a handful of times. I can see that may push me to Sky, more than the delayed airing, badly clipped highlights and the advert breaks!

I agree totally and they never once mentioned that Rikoenen had got past Alonso.

I think with Billy its more ii that his voice hasn't fully broken, remember he is still a Kid, BUT his knowledge and visual Racecraft shows what a Racer he might have been, so Its good to see him step into the No 2 shoes.

And who is the New Guy doing the pit interviews, I've never seen or heard of him before, he seems quite good, but probably a little nervous as its his first Race, I will leave my verdict open on that one. I used to like Karun Chaderhok, who I now believe is at Sky.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If Seb continues to progress on his fairground driving I wonder how anyone can justify giving him a seat next year? It was mooted as the atmosphere at Ferrari but here he goes again, he just seems to driving like a rookie in traffic whatever he’s in. Unfortunately it’s past retiring gracefully. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I agree totally and they never once mentioned that Rikoenen had got past Alonso.

I think with Billy its more ii that his voice hasn't fully broken, remember he is still a Kid, BUT his knowledge and visual Racecraft shows what a Racer he might have been, so Its good to see him step into the No 2 shoes.

Monger is 21, hardly a child, can’t see his voice changing from here. I just don’t really like the south London accent, and find his delivery very flat (which I realise is ironic when I’m complaining about Jacques being too animated!). With the best will in the world he didn’t get the job on his ability as a pundit after all. That said he’s growing into it, and I’m sure in the fullness of time he’ll be fine, but losing DC in that role, when he’s evidently there, seems a backward step. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I think the SKY team is first class - they appear to have all angles covered.

A fantastic race, and with everyone now having one race under there belts, I expect to see Mercedes up their game.

The "Track-limit" rule certainly needs clarifying once and for all. I watched the race live on SKY, and then the highlights on Channel 4, both Martin Brundle and David Coultard,  said that the rule, having been in force during qualifying, was to be relaxed during the race unless a distinct advantage was obtained - it was, and someone lost out through the confusion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

The "Track-limit" rule certainly needs clarifying once and for all. I watched the race live on SKY, and then the highlights on Channel 4, both Martin Brundle and David Coultard,  said that the rule, having been in force during qualifying, was to be relaxed during the race unless a distinct advantage was obtained - it was, and someone lost out through the confusion.

I think such things were more distinct under the late Charlie Whiting, in whom the drivers had a greater degree of trust than they seem to have in Masi. Sadly Charlie's demise was a total shock, so a successor had not been groomed, I feel. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

It has always been the same, but I don't mean that it is not a problem.

The limits at certain corners only is the problem. Apply them everywhere consistently & drivers will stay on track ... then accept a penalty when they overdo it & go wide.

As for penalties, time is horrible. The racing order needs to be adjusted as quickly as possible. It worked very well yesterday because Verstappen gave back the place later on the same lap.

I like the "stay left of the pole if you leave the track" principle, but this can only be applied in a few places. Maybe a chicane somewhere around a lap can be used for anyone who exceeds limits? Miss that, then you get a time penalty, but a big enough one to make the chicane the lesser penalty.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think such things were more distinct under the late Charlie Whiting, in whom the drivers had a greater degree of trust than they seem to have in Masi. Sadly Charlie's demise was a total shock, so a successor had not been groomed, I feel. 

David Coulthard nailed the problem when he said that, whatever rule is adopted, it should be applied the same in both qualifying and the race. Confusion is the last thing anybody needs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It has always been the same, but I don't mean that it is not a problem.

The limits at certain corners only is the problem. Apply them everywhere consistently & drivers will stay on track ... then accept a penalty when they overdo it & go wide.

As for penalties, time is horrible. The racing order needs to be adjusted as quickly as possible. It worked very well yesterday because Verstappen gave back the place later on the same lap.

I like the "stay left of the pole if you leave the track" principle, but this can only be applied in a few places. Maybe a chicane somewhere around a lap can be used for anyone who exceeds limits? Miss that, then you get a time penalty, but a big enough one to make the chicane the lesser penalty.

Long-lap penalty in MotoGP, WSB and BSB.

A marked out lane around the outside of a corner which adds a couple of seconds to the lap. A bit like the Power Boost bit in Scalextric FE races.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Let’s face it, Max had the time & opportunity to get Lewis a second time but his rear end snapped under braking and he lost time & grip thereafter and Lewis was just able to change his driving & power boost to eek out enough gap before the DRS straights to keep ahead.

what I feared was after wanting a head to head battle, DRS on the Red Bull would have given such an advantage that Max would have passed lewis before the corner and sailed off into the distance. That would not have been as entertaining 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We enjoyed the first grand prix of the season, plenty of drama, and some of the same tropes as last year; Hamilton and Verstappen two talented drivers in the best two cars, the second string Merc and Red Bull drivers not quite being in the same class, the continued resurgence of Maclaren and Vettel demonstrating again that his mojo has gone.

It was nice to see Alonso, Vettel and Raikonnen racing each other again, albeit in the midfield.

I don't mind the new guy (Alex Jacques) although he is not what we are used to. I didn't really notice Billy Monger but then I live in SE London. 

Whatever you think of his accent, he is a very impressive and articulate guy; the programme that they made about his comic relief challenge is worth catching if you have not seen it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

To be honest, I was quite relieved to see Marzipan going out on one of the first corners, and not taking anyone else with him.  I don’t think he’s up to racing at this level and could be dangerous and disruptive as a back marker being passed by the leading cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4