The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

23 hours ago, 37114 said:

Interesting, 2 ex VW people at the top of Williams, I wonder if 2025 will see a Williams-Porsche or Williams-Audi on the grid...

As the Volkswagen Audi group have stated that they are committed to phasing out ICE's, not developing any new Internal combustion engines and going fully electric within the next 10 to 15 years it seems unlikely.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, rocor said:

As the Volkswagen Audi group have stated that they are committed to phasing out ICE's, not developing any new Internal combustion engines and going fully electric within the next 10 to 15 years it seems unlikely.

F1 needs to make a major change in the coming years in terms of ICE, although they already have the hybrid engines it won't be enough if the manufacturers are going all electric - though there are those in industry and science who are concerned the jump to batteries may be missing out other potential technologies - blue gas for example. 

There is a race on at present but from what I can see it is all to electric motors and batteries - Tesla style.  But is that technology a dead end dependent on Lithium which is another problem in the making - rare and heavily polluting as water is used to extract it.

We're at the early stages of another VHS v Betamax fight, lithium batteries have the head start, perhaps due to some industry disrupters getting in early who can see a new world without filling stations and have control over precious metals.  But the long term future may be something different and I hope the Government isn't putting all it's eggs in the one basket, there is a future for an ICE of sorts, just not using petrol or diesel.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure the green lobby will ensure that all the sums are added up in declaring whose product, idea or principle is the least polluting. But reducing exhaust pollution, particularly in cities, with a benefit to general health, needs to be seen as a quick win that ought to be considered, so electric might be good in the short term, with other solutions proving even better in the longer run. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm sure the green lobby will ensure that all the sums are added up in declaring whose product, idea or principle is the least polluting. But reducing exhaust pollution, particularly in cities, with a benefit to general health, needs to be seen as a quick win that ought to be considered, so electric might be good in the short term, with other solutions proving even better in the longer run. 

My concern would be there is a group who would like to see off any competition which may kill their potential monopoly - get in early with batteries, see off the filling stations and the networks that supply them and stop car manufacturers building engines etc - once they're gone they're gone.

Battery power like touch screens feel like they are tech we absolutely need but they are dependent on rare precious metals which we are consuming at alarming rates and causing untold environmental damage but have this lovely green sheen to them but really aren't.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

There is a race on at present but from what I can see it is all to electric motors and batteries - Tesla style.  But is that technology a dead end dependent on Lithium which is another problem in the making - rare and heavily polluting as water is used to extract it.

The demand for lithium is destined to rise steeply in the next few years, but then it will level out and decrease, as unlike hydrocarbon fuels it is not consumed. As batteries reach their end of life, the materials will be recycled.

Lithium is not a particularly rare element, just well spread out. If it can ever be economically extracted from seawater, that would give us around 180 Billion tons to be getting on with.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, woodenhead said:

4 hours ago, rocor said:

The demand for lithium is destined to rise steeply in the next few years, but then it will level out and decrease, as unlike hydrocarbon fuels it is not consumed. As batteries reach their end of life, the materials will be recycled.

Lithium is not a particularly rare element, just well spread out. If it can ever be economically extracted from seawater, that would give us around 180 Billion tons to be getting on with.

Lithium is extracted from (sea) water pumped from former tin mines in Cornwall. It can also be extracted from the waste material from those mines created when they were operational.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That would be biting the hand that feeds you. Human rights are of little importance in many of the places F1 struts its stuff. Ain't gonna happen in any real sense. And have I heard that UK plc is signing up for inward investment and deals with certain Middle-Eastern states? Commerce and difficult politics are seldom bedfellows. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

1 hour FP sessions certainly get the teams running to stand still. Lots more intense track action than we have been used to on a Friday. 

The Mercs aren't as bad as feared/hoped (!), but aren't dominant so far. Perez is pretty close to Max, so Red Bull has real presence at the front. McLarens continuing where they left off last year. Alphas and Alfas both promising, as are Astons, too. Ferrari better than they have been, while Alpine, Williams and Haas are at the bottom of the timesheets. Russell continues to outperform his car. 

With less than a second covering the first 15, this season looks a little different at this stage. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2