The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Andrew P said:

Could they almost do away with a large section of rear wing?

You could but then you lose downforce in the corners and speed. He was kicking it open as he was almost straight most of the time which is what makes me wonder if they were seeing if losing a bit made it twitchy under acceleration?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes. They got away with it for 2020, but were told then it would be outlawed for 2021. Like McLaren's 2021 rear diffuser, it is the team that spots the legit loophole that makes hay. Sometimes more than one does it, often not. 

• Agree 3

I find it amusing that as Mercedes did not dominate the practice session, the media are already forecasting the end to their domination. Had Mercedes wiped the floor with everyone over the last few days, obviously the media would have said that we are in for another boring year with the fight to see who comes second in the constructors championship. All will be revealed on March 28th.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I think as Lewis spun at least twice, and Bottas is on record as saying the back end is wayward, that Merc has a lot to do between now and the first race. Tech regs limit the changes you can make these days. Lots of midnight oil being burned at Brackley!

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think as Lewis spun at least twice, and Bottas is on record as saying the back end is wayward, that Merc has a lot to do between now and the first race. Tech regs limit the changes you can make these days. Lots of midnight oil being burned at Brackley!

But that will make for an interesting first few Races at least, I hope.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Just read that Sabine Schmitz has died following a long battle with cancer - she was 51. Famous for her fast laps of the Nurburgring in a Transit and many appearances on TopGear.  RIP

I think the picture with Chris Harris sums her up, and that all iterations of Top Gear and Fifth Gear used her as a presenter 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/56420308

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Just read that Sabine Schmitz has died following a long battle with cancer - she was 51. Famous for her fast laps of the Nurburgring in a Transit and many appearances on TopGear.  RIP

A very sad loss to motorsport, she had amazing skills and brilliant personality. Her laps in the Transit were the stuff of Legend as she laps cars and motorbikes alike IMO, so much so they deserve to be remembered:

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for clogging the F1 thread but I imaging a lot of people have

only ever seen Sabine on Top Gear but there was so much more to her .

May she rest in peace .

I think this video really shows her skills and knowledge of the 'ring' , and in the

wet too , she is placing the car and passing others where it should not as a rule

work .

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

Layout for Saudi Arabia street circuit revealed

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/31085457/layout-saudi-arabia-street-circuit-revealed

http://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=31085486

Saudi Arabian Grand Prix to be fastest street track

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56420088

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Interesting, 2 ex VW people at the top of Williams, I wonder if 2025 will see a Williams-Porsche or Williams-Audi on the grid...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1