The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The driver's safety cell is designed to withstand such an impact. If Lynn is not seriously hurt, then it sounds like it did its job. F1 drivers have been known to run away from accidents like this.

Accidents like this are inevitable in open wheel racing. I know Formula E has wheel guards & they may help a little but will just break apart when the speed difference between the 2 cars is high.

Derek Warwick running back to the pits to get in the spare car, after his crash red flagged the race in the 1990 Italian Grand Prix.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Just watched the Mercedes Launch, the Car does look awesome. and great interviews with the Drivers, Toto and the designer, who's name I've just forgotten, but excellent presentation. Low key, no big fan fair, just quiet confidence.

James Allison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

James Allison

Cheers Pete, yes of course, nice guy and explained a lot, also about the hidden bit from yesterdays launch. It sounded a bit like the Brawn Double defuser from 2009, a legal loophole, same as the steering from last year, legal, but it subsequently has been banned.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alonso is busy justifying his early season form :

"I normally think that it takes every driver on the grid three or four races to optimise everything on a new car, maybe a bit more if you change teams or if you are new to F1," he says. "To be 100 per cent up to speed it can take at least the first couple of races, but it is the same for everybody." Of course it is.

And, of course, that's what happened when George Russell stepped out of his uncompetitive Williams at short notice, and into Lewis's seat..... 

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

Alonso has been out of it for quite a while now, unlike Russell who had driven a large part of the circuit in a different car a week previously. (Of course almost everyone else had been driving the same circuit too). It wouldn't be unreasonable for him to take a race or two to get back up to full speed.

That's one of the things which made Russell's Mercedes drive so remarkable, rather than a stick with which to beat anyone who takes a bit of time to adjust to their new situation.

• Agree 1

Not really, Alonso seems to think he's on a par with Hamilton the way he talks... I have to agree with Ian, a driver of his record shouldn't need to start making excuses even before the season has started... If he really is as good as he says he is...

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Not really, Alonso seems to think he's on a par with Hamilton the way he talks... I have to agree with Ian, a driver of his record shouldn't need to start making excuses even before the season has started... If he really is as good as he says he is...

He honestly expected to walk all over Lewis in 2007 and got a bit of a shock, and has never forgiven Lewis or McLaren for letting it happen.

• Agree 4