The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

The seat fitting video reminds of a story told me by my friend Rob Taylor. Rob is currently Chief Designer for the Haas F1 team and is ex Jaguar, Mclaren, Arrows, Marussia, Benneton, Ferrari and Cosworth. We were in the the pub one night  at the time he was working with John Barnard at B3 Technology for Ferrari.  John Alesi had come over for a seat fitting, I assume it is still done in a similar manner but in those days the initial seat fitting involved sitting on top of a plastic bag in the bare monocoque and then poring expanding foam into the bag and allowing it to create a mould that fit you and the tub. The foam mould is then used to create the seat. It normally works fine and I have also used it a number of times without issue. Anyway Alesi is sat in the car and the mechanics mix up the foam and pore it in the bag. Normally you wait about 30 seconds and it then starts to expand (it is an exothermic reaction so it can get a bit hot and you need to sit on a towel to protect all the delicate bits:rolleyes:). After about a minute nothing has happened so they decide to mix up a second batch. This get pored into the same bag and this time it exotherms and all hell breaks loose because it also sets off the original batch and they now have double the amount of foam needed. It has to go somewhere and basically expands all over Alesi's lower torso trapping him. So  we now have a very expensive volatile latin driver not very happy about things. Things get worse because the only way they can get him out is to cut him out of the foam, which involves judicious use of a carving knife and our our volatile Frenchman is getting more than a bit concerned about carving knifes stabbing in to foam around his crown Jewels! Eventually they got him out without damage and redid the fitting without issue.  Must be a moral here but not sure what?

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, kipford said:

The seat fitting video reminds of a story told me by my friend Rob Taylor. Rob is currently Chief Designer for the Haas F1 team and is ex Jaguar, Mclaren, Arrows, Marussia, Benneton, Ferrari and Cosworth. We were in the the pub one night  at the time he was working with John Barnard at B3 Technology for Ferrari.  John Alesi had come over for a seat fitting, I assume it is still done in a similar manner but in those days the initial seat fitting involved sitting on top of a plastic bag in the bare monocoque and then poring expanding foam into the bag and allowing it to create a mould that fit you and the tub. The foam mould is then used to create the seat. It normally works fine and I have also used it a number of times without issue. Anyway Alesi is sat in the car and the mechanics mix up the foam and pore it in the bag. Normally you wait about 30 seconds and it then starts to expand (it is an exothermic reaction so it can get a bit hot and you need to sit on a towel to protect all the delicate bits:rolleyes:). After about a minute nothing has happened so they decide to mix up a second batch. This get pored into the same bag and this time it exotherms and all hell breaks loose because it also sets off the original batch and they now have double the amount of foam needed. It has to go somewhere and basically expands all over Alesi's lower torso trapping him. So  we now have a very expensive volatile latin driver not very happy about things. Things get worse because the only way they can get him out is to cut him out of the foam, which involves judicious use of a carving knife and our our volatile Frenchman is getting more than a bit concerned about carving knifes stabbing in to foam around his crown Jewels! Eventually they got him out without damage and redid the fitting without issue.  Must be a moral here but not sure what?

Alesi couldn't cope with being in the hot seat?

Muahahahaaaa!!!!!  :crazy:

They had that milkfloat racing on the BBC Red Button earlier this evening.  Its just like a computer game, every now and then they can go over a section of track and get a power boost...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Alesi couldn't cope with being in the hot seat?

Muahahahaaaa!!!!!  :crazy:

They had that milkfloat racing on the BBC Red Button earlier this evening.  Its just like a computer game, every now and then they can go over a section of track and get a power boost...

I watched about 10 minutes from a couple of minutes before the Race Start, up to the head on collision and thought, naa not for me, very Scalextric.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Why?  Has he had a transfusion from Alsonso, Hamilton or Vettell?

On current form, anything from Alonso or Vettell would be contraindicated if they want Lance to be near the top of the Championship table....

Edited by Hroth
Spellin, just noticed...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 28/02/2021 at 07:16, Andrew P said:

I watched about 10 minutes from a couple of minutes before the Race Start, up to the head on collision and thought, naa not for me, very Scalextric.

Well you know me, if it races I'll watch it.

The second race was better but not at any point was the reason for the red flag shown or even mentioned. It wasn't until this morning I was on the BBC Sport web site that I found this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/motorsport/56233635

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Bill Radford said:

The second race was better but not at any point was the reason for the red flag shown or even mentioned. It wasn't until this morning I was on the BBC Sport web site that I found this...

Yes, I was a little surprised to see that as I'd watched Saturday's race and didn't remember that happening.

I suspect it may have been excluded from the broadcast footage until it could be determined that the driver was unharmed. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

Jez us!:o

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes, I was a little surprised to see that as I'd watched Saturday's race and didn't remember that happening.

I suspect it may have been excluded from the broadcast footage until it could be determined that the driver was unharmed. 

I thought it was very strange that the podium ceremony went ahead as if nothing had happened. Sam Bird was on the radio behind the safety car and said something like "There is a lot of debris on the track and cars off at turn ?20", so he knew something big at happened but he must have known the drivers were OK or he wouldn't have celebrated as much.

• Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

The driver's safety cell is designed to withstand such an impact. If Lynn is not seriously hurt, then it sounds like it did its job. F1 drivers have been known to run away from accidents like this.

Accidents like this are inevitable in open wheel racing. I know Formula E has wheel guards & they may help a little but will just break apart when the speed difference between the 2 cars is high.

• Like 2

Just watched the Mercedes Launch, the Car does look awesome. and great interviews with the Drivers, Toto and the designer, who's name I've just forgotten, but excellent presentation. Low key, no big fan fair, just quiet confidence.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1