The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

9 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Crazy, they should start the year with a clean sheet.

Penalty points analysis: Who has the most in 2021 and why Mazepin’s F2 rap sheet doesn’t matter

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/18/penalty-points-analysis-who-has-the-most-in-2021-and-why-mazepins-f2-rap-sheet-doesnt-matter/

I would like to know what they are applied for.

Albon on 7, Hamilton & Russell on 6? What has Russell done?

Verstappen & Vettel on 0???

I think these are largely cosmetic anyway. Giving drivers up to 6 or 9 shows they are doing something, but I can see them hesitating after the 10th point so as not to apply a suspension.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Crazy, they should start the year with a clean sheet.

Wouldn't that make the last race of the year a free-for-all destruction derby? Better to have them for a defined period or number of races so that penalties carry the same weight whenever they happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Third series of Netflix Drive to Survive is released March 19th. Great programme if you have not seen it before, Steiners rant from 2019 when Magnusson and Grojean took each other out is worth the cost alone. The new series should be a real humdinger.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2021 at 13:47, kipford said:

I understand talking to some HPP engineers at the Formula Student event that the power units are the same for both factory and customer teams, where they differ is the teams make there own exhaust systems, intakes and cooling systems.

That's been out there in the public realm for a while:

https://f1i.com/news/294954-mercedes-no-problem-customer-engine-parity-rules-wolff.html

https://www.racefans.net/2018/02/23/fia-tweaks-rules-to-make-engine-customers-more-competitive/

The exhaust intakes and cooling aren't considered part of the "engine", as they all need to be custom fitted around the chassis design. However these part can have considerable effect on the overall output. I can remember many years back when our race team supplied exactly the same head, block and crank to a competitor after countless allegations of cheating had been proved false. "Here, use the same kit we use, we'll import it from the US for you, you just put it together.". The guy had to sort his own carbs and exhaust out and used his own clutch/gearbox system. He was still consistently 3-5/10ths off our times (which in drag racing is a lot!).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Alfa Launch. SO, is The bearded git sponsoring Williams?

https://fb.watch/3Po8HLdNNZ/

Notice Peter Windsor, who was consistently promoting the scruffy beard on their first time around, has been ominously quiet about them this time.

Edit:

unless there is a subtle clue here... :jester:

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

50 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Revealed: Three safety changes coming to F1 cars following Grosjean’s fireball crash.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/23/revealed-three-safety-changes-coming-to-f1-cars-following-grosjeans-fireball-crash/

The more I read about Grosjean's crash,  the more amazed I am that he actually managed to not only survive the crash but do so relatively unscathed. Absolute miracle 

• Agree 8

5 hours ago, 37114 said:

The more I read about Grosjean's crash,  the more amazed I am that he actually managed to not only survive the crash but do so relatively unscathed. Absolute miracle 

Romain Grosjean is racing in the 2021 IndyCar series for Dale Coyne Racing.

I am surprised that after his lucky break, that he has not decided to go back to working in the Swiss banking industry.

He spent almost three years as a banker in Switzerland when he was progressing through the junior motor sport series.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Every season some team or another changes engine etc supplier. If Alpine has made Williams a better offer, and remembering the good year McLaren has just had with the then-Renault powerplant, Williams might think it time. Having the "best" engine in recent seasons has got Williams nowhere. Williams needs investment more than anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

22 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Having the "best" engine in recent seasons has got Williams nowhere. Williams needs investment more than anything else. 

Am I the only one to point to the car rather than the engine and say "there's your problem!"... The other Merc engine users haven't done to bad with it so I'd suggest it isn't the engine that's the problem. Agree about the investment, though...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Am I the only one to point to the car rather than the engine and say "there's your problem!"... The other Merc engine users haven't done to bad with it so I'd suggest it isn't the engine that's the problem

Nope, was going to say "What about the Chassis?" myself.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1