The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

Well done him, many race wins? I've just ordered a book about the golden era of Brisca F1 stockcars called Heavy Metal, awaiting it with interest. 

They have a bit too much grip for my liking these days though, I preferred the old days when they went round even the tarmac tracks with the back end out! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Well done him, many race wins? I've just ordered a book about the golden era of Brisca F1 stockcars called Heavy Metal, awaiting it with interest. 

They have a bit too much grip for my liking these days though, I preferred the old days when they went round even the tarmac tracks with the back end out! 

He's had a few heat wins.

My bro used to race (same number)  - he also made blue. His first heat win was at Crewe. Now that was a proper track!

Sorry for the OT folks.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

F1 considering races in Africa and hasn’t ruled out Miami or Hanoi.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/05/f1-considering-races-in-africa-and-hasnt-ruled-out-miami-or-hanoi/

Possible future venues for Grand Prix in Africa.

Algeria

Angola

Burundi

Cameroon

Central African Republic

Chad

Republic of Congo

Djibouti

Egypt

Equatorial Guinea

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Gabon

Libya

Congo (Brazzaville)

South Sudan

Rwanda

Somalia

Sudan

Swaziland

Uganda

Western Sahara

Why these countries?.

Well they are all dictatorships, So there will be plenty of money available to build state of the art race tracks to enhance the prestige of the man in charge  (yes they are all male).

• Funny 3

And here was me thinking (clearly naively) Bernie had gone!!

I had hoped pay-to-hold-races was a thing of the past. Also does Liberty really think that all those African countries would have full attendances or would we not see the stands (if any there) apart from the corporate/VIP ones? I do realise that sport is becoming no longer a fan thing, unless willing to pay through the nose, to attend these types of events.. look at the empty seats Centre Court Wimbledon etc these days.

Mini rant over!! (I think I'm becoming more like my late dad every day)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Mazepin and other Russian drivers forbidden from racing under country’s flag.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/05/mazepin-and-other-russian-drivers-forbidden-from-racing-under-countrys-flag/

So they're not allowed to use the Russian flag, but can use an emblem made up of its colours (red, white and blue), and they can't use the words 'Russian Automobile Federation', but they can use its acronym.

I wonder where they could find a red, white and blue emblem associated with those initials.....

• Funny 6

20 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

So they're not allowed to use the Russian flag, but can use an emblem made up of its colours (red, white and blue), and they can't use the words 'Russian Automobile Federation', but they can use its acronym.

I wonder where they could find a red, white and blue emblem associated with those initials.....

Perhaps the cars could be painted anti-flash white at the same time! ;-)

• Funny 4

23 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Absolutely. But people in this thread see it as motor sport - not a business. And I agree certain tracks have had their day. Monaco is glamorous and challenging but very poor at allowing overtaking, which by common consent is in short supply anyway. But it will always be in the calendar due to the halo effect of prestige that benefits both Liberty's product and the Principality. 

The overtaking situation wasn't improved by introducing the swimming pool section with its double chicane, nor by the changes to the chicane at the end of the tunnel. Widening cars and some of the judgements under the "causing an avoidable collision" rule haven't helped either.

That said, I think there are improvements that could be made to the harbour section to improve overtaking. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Frankly I think the only way Monaco could be improved is with a diverging route so instead of the harbour chicane you have the option to go straight, to the right of the tree line and rejoin further down. There is a S bend two thirds of the way down so it’s either chicane and long straight or medium straight, chicane and short straight.

it would allow different chassis and drivers to play to their strengths, and possibly liven up the procession (especially if you designate a minimum number of times the divergence has to be taken)....not one for the purists though...:senile:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Qd87IFSbw9X4Qb2XYW1HLs07k44&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode&ie=UTF8&hq&hnear=Alcañiz%2C Province of Teruel%2C Aragon%2C Spain&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=149&msa=0&ll=43.739626064557015%2C7.4287365811255945&spn=0.005434%2C0.008669&t=k&z=18&iwloc=0004951ca4b5dfff01952

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Frankly I think the only way Monaco could be improved is with a diverging route so instead of the harbour chicane you have the option to go straight, to the right of the tree line and rejoin further down. There is a S bend two thirds of the way down so it’s either chicane and long straight or medium straight, chicane and short straight.

it would allow different chassis and drivers to play to their strengths, and possibly liven up the procession (especially if you designate a minimum number of times the divergence has to be taken)....not one for the purists though...:senile:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Qd87IFSbw9X4Qb2XYW1HLs07k44&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode&ie=UTF8&hq&hnear=Alcañiz%2C Province of Teruel%2C Aragon%2C Spain&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=149&msa=0&ll=43.739626064557015%2C7.4287365811255945&spn=0.005434%2C0.008669&t=k&z=18&iwloc=0004951ca4b5dfff01952

That's actually not too far removed from what I was thinking:

1) Swap the stand and the track over between the swimming pool and Rascasse to eliminate the second chicane (better still do away with the stand altogether to allow cars to get alongside each other).

2) Infill the NW corner of the harbour to create a smooth curve from Avenue JFK (the 'straight on' at the Nouvelle Chicane) to the first swimming pool chicane, creating a much faster run from Portier to Rascasse (the space where the current Tabac curve is could be used to expand the stand there to replace the one removed at Rascasse). Ideally also removing the trees between Avenue JFK and the Quai Etas Unis.

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Mazepin and other Russian drivers forbidden from racing under country’s flag.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/05/mazepin-and-other-russian-drivers-forbidden-from-racing-under-countrys-flag/

The decision prevents Mazepin and other Russian drivers in world championship motorsports from using the image of the Russian flag, or its national symbols such as the two-headed eagle, on their sporting equipment. They are permitted to incorporate the colours of the Russian flag.

The decision also prevents the playing of the Russian National Anthem at FIA events.

Would playing the Russian National Anthem with the notes rearranged in a different order be permitted then?.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

A way to shake things up a little at the Monaco Grand Prix without altering the track layout would be to make more pit stops during the race mandatory, let us say for instance four or five.

• Like 3

Part of the problem at Monaco is the negative tactics employed by some of the drivers who have realised that if they go quickly they might end up in the barriers  or (at best) up an escape road somewhere, but if they slow down they're less likely to make a mistake and it's unlikely someone will pass them.  

Even the best drivers of the past were capable of making mistakes but the slow driving has taken that unpredictability out. Perhaps there should be a maximum average lap time rule to encourage faster driving.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rocor said:

A way to shake things up a little at the Monaco Grand Prix without altering the track layout would be to make more pit stops during the race mandatory, let us say for instance four or five.

4 sets of different tyres and a min of 5 laps between stops unless a puncture occurred.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1