The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

One day we’ll pull out the fountain pen.

I wonder who's blood it will contain?

• Funny 2

31 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I know the points system changed around 10 years ago but I never would have thought Button would be in the top 10 points scorers.

Yes, Button, Senna and Rosberg with relatively short careers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

I know the points system changed around 10 years ago but I never would have thought Button would be in the top 10 points scorers.

He had a long career at a time when seasons had a lot of races, so it's not all that shocking. If it was actual points then he'd be higher still, since a few of them raced during the period when only the top 6 scored. (It's not exactly fair, because perhaps if there has been points for 8th when Prost was racing the drivers around there would have driven differently).

You'd expect drivers like Max and Leclerc to make inroads into that list once they've been around long enough.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Sounds as if the delay was due to Toto Wolff contracting covid.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

The last 4 paragraphs make interesting reading...

Marko warned that if the freeze is not put in place, "that would make Red Bull drastically rethink its situation in Formula 1."

"This is not blackmail," he said, adding that Red Bull does not have a plan B. "For reasons of reason and cost, an engine freeze is just the only way now with these ill-fated engines."

• Agree 3

16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Sounds as if the delay was due to Toto Wolff contracting covid.

Lewis should bear in mind the words of the late McLaren boss Teddy Mayer:

"Drivers are just interchangeable light bulbs - you plug them in and they do the job" .

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Surely it depends on their brightness... Not all bulbs can do the job... ;)

For a railway analogy, some bulbs are as bright as those in old Mk1 carriages and Pilot Scheme loco marker lights, and about as efficient.

(Probably identical bulbs)

• Funny 2

Strange, I like Eddie, and his comments, but last week he was saying ditch Lewis.

Hamilton to sign new Mercedes deal over next few days - Jordan.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/61473/hamilton-to-sign-new-mercedes-deal-over-next-few-days-jordan/?fbclid=IwAR3HK6I3uq_WDndNAdZvqJAHP27YXiZxEkJwQBuBCTqao7bnm2JwSw21UUo

• Agree 1

Here's my thoughts for what it's worth.

For many years I was involved in Sales and Marketing, and one thing I always insisted on was keeping our Brand and Image in the public domain.

So working on that principal, Have Toto / Merc and Lewis HATCHED a plan to keep both names in the headlines almost every day since the last Race. It both raises public awareness of the Brand and Image and has made more headlines than any other Team since the last Race.

Almost every headline has started with =  7 times F1 Champions Mercedes, or 7 times F1 Champion Lewis Hamilton, etc, etc.

As I say, just my thoughts.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

42 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I've never watched any FE so I can't comment.

Agag convinced F1 should merge with Formula E 'before it's too late.

https://f1i.com/news/396063-agag-convinced-f1-should-merge-with-formula-e-sooner-or-later.html?fbclid=IwAR0YX9sIy1G9YeMlK79jSx-Dq74iBPWvHoeMk7aRj6M3ZEPs-vtYRYr9vBo

Just a thought, but if electric cars are the way forward and the current F1 hybrid cars eventually develop into full electric they won't need Formula E, will they...

Desperation, perhaps, by Agag...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, Hobby said:

Just a thought, but if electric cars are the way forward and the current F1 hybrid cars eventually develop into full electric they won't need Formula E, will they...

Desperation, perhaps, by Agag...

But if you read it, F1 cannot go full electric as FE have the licence for full electric for 25 years. meaning if Petrol / Diesel / Hydrogen etc was banned as a means of vehicle propulsion then they would have no choice but to merge or join FE.

It probably wont be in my life time though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I've never watched any FE so I can't comment.

Agag convinced F1 should merge with Formula E 'before it's too late.

https://f1i.com/news/396063-agag-convinced-f1-should-merge-with-formula-e-sooner-or-later.html?fbclid=IwAR0YX9sIy1G9YeMlK79jSx-Dq74iBPWvHoeMk7aRj6M3ZEPs-vtYRYr9vBo

I've watched parts of FE several times (more by luck than judgement) and the sound the cars make always reminds me of electric milk floats...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

But if you read it, F1 cannot go full electric as FE have the licence for full electric for 25 years. meaning if Petrol / Diesel / Hydrogen etc was banned as a means of vehicle propulsion then they would have no choice but to merge or join FE.

It probably wont be in my life time though.

F1 will go full electric when the cars can go full race distance on a reasonable size battery pack. If the existing licence agreement with FE proves to be a problem, then F1 will amalgamate with FE, and FE as we currently know it will disappear. Once F1 goes full electric, so will all its feeder series.

Possibly there will still be a place for a ICE open wheel race series, either full spec (identical cars), or a version of how some advocate a reduced cost F1 should be. That is with teams free to design chassis,  but everything else to a standard specification.

• Like 3