The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, newbryford said:

OK - should be in the 2020 thread.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55321432

I scored a mid-team 7/12

That makes two of us then! I'm never very good at the "how many points" or "how many races" type questions in these quizzes

Jo

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, EddieB said:

I remember Ayrton Senna getting stuck in sixth gear, but still winning the race - and barely able to stand up at the end of it!

Far from wishing to down-play George having a win taken from him, but all we can really determine is that he out-raced Valtteri.  Max conveniently took himself off early on, and may have had a better tyre strategy than the Mercedes duo - thereby depriving us of a comparison with George in full race trim.  Let’s not forget that George beat his rivals Lando and Alex in F2 where the cars are much closer together.

Alex has gone now, and if Lando performs badly in comparison to Daniel Ricciardo in 2021, how long will he retain his Mclaren seat for?.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It makes me laugh how all these articles are trying to paint him in a bad light with his "demands"* - it's called contract negotiations for a reason! You don't pitch in with what you're after right away, throw in a silly high pitch first and then meet in the middle.

*unless someone has access to the document or tape of him saying "give me £50m or I'll throw my toys out of the pram and leave. So ner ner ner ner ner". He's a true racer, the GOAT, probably, holding most of the records of any driver and about to set some new ones too, he ain't leaving anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Confidence is a very fine thing.

Perhaps he's trying to say that a Haas isn't much different to his old F2 car?

We'll see!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Confidence is a very fine thing.

Like father, like son...

Just hope he doesn't have some of his father's more dubious traits...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I do not particularly rate Mick S and without two experienced driver the Haas team will struggle at least initially. Out of interest I looked at the wins rates of Mick S and George in the lower formula, basically they are the same which surprised me. However there are some mitigations to look at. It took Mick two seasons to win in F3 and F2, whereas George did it in single seasons. Also in my opinion the opposition George faced was much stronger in GP3 and F2 than Mick faced in F3 and F2. No doubt he is good, any driver who reaches F1 is good, but does he have that 'edge' only time will tell. Probably talking B!"££"%s but it whiled away 15 mins over lunch time. 

• Like 6

I find it difficult to judge previous seasons based on who they raced against because it tends to get skewed by how we remember them being at a different point in their career.

It is easy to look back at driver line-ups from earlier seasons & judge drivers from what they have become instead of what they were like then. A good example is that Alain Prost was considered less promising than his compatriot Rene Arnoux, but he developed into a better driver.

Many sports are similar, with some players being really dominant as amateurs (or in the case of motor racing, lower formula) then they don't really push on at the top level as well as others who did not previously look quite as outstanding.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

That is probably just negotiating tactics to get Hamilton's price (and the duration) down? 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thing is it’s likely his managements attitude ;) I guess Daimler want the same reset as they got when Lewis came onboard, take a chance based on George’s quick adaption. 
The brand needs to make savings due to Covid like everyone else and saving 40+ million switching to George is going to delight the accountants who have no interest in building the Lewis legend any further. Toto knows what Lewis has brought in development and vision which is intrinsic to what they’ve built and certainly has a degree of loyalty to him for that. 
The stories / leaks are as likely to be Daimler pressuring for the saving as Journos trying to wind up Lewis for a reaction though ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It's all just negotiation. Without wanting to get all political, there was this fairly significant one recently where I lost count of the number of times we heard that "this is never going to work", or one side threatened to walk away, and yet come the actual crunch time they came up with something.

You hear it in the NFL a lot too; "player and team are a long way apart in this negotiation" and then 2 days later it's all signed.

Fundamentally, if Lewis wants to drive for MB, and MB want him in their car, it's going to happen. George Russell looking decent on one outing just gives MB some leverage that they weren't expecting, but which they'd be idiots not to use.

• Agree 3