The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

So 2020 is over, and an amazing, Phoenix-like season it was. We saw new circuits and some thrilling races, even though half the scheduled  venues had to shut up shop. And now we have a knighted world-champion, who seems intent on carrying on.

So what can we expect in 2021? More of the same at the front, but Perez will be more visible more often than Albon managed to be. What of Ferrari? They have been talking up their revised engine for next year, so perhaps they will be more of a threat, with two young thrusters making the most of the car in a way that seemed to elude Vettel this year. Alfonso will be back at Renault, whose car has done well this year, but who do need two consistent point scorers. Resurgent McLaren have Danny Ric, who is unlikely to let them down, and a new engine supplier. Aston Martin have the boss's son, who shone on occasions this year, and the dubious privilege of Vettel. Alpha Tauri showed flashes this year, and Gasly showed he can hack it when the time is right, but has a new team-mate. Haas moves into new ownership, we think, with new drivers, and again the boss's son is one, alongside a very famous name. Alfa and Williams will each be keen to get a rung or two up the ladder, but stick with drivers they know. 

Minimal changes to the cars, perhaps, although Merc's funny steering has to go. Shorter free practice sessions on the Friday, which may mix it up a little. Let's hope Covid permits the schedule to be realised, everyone tests negative all season, and we have as many special moments as 2020 surprisingly provided.

Gentlemen - start your engines!

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

So 2020 is over, and an amazing, Phoenix-like season it was.

I agree with you about the 2020 season and it was enough to rekindle my interest in F1. Unfortunately, RTL (in Germany) has lost the TV contract for next year to Sky so I won't be spending Sunday afternoons on the sofa any more.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Yes this season was undoubtedly one of the best for many years despite the supposed predictability at the front. Many edge of seat races.

Lewis hasn’t yet signed so as yet, remains a maybe rather than a guarantee though I don’t expect him to retire in 2020 but maybe, if he gets no8 in 21 then he might just feel happy to go explore those extra interests he is building up?

Whether Perez really can match Max and change the ratio up front, I’m not sure but it should be a good close fight with Alpine, McLaren and Ferrari showing good promise and Aston Martin hoping to build on this year to justify the wedge being invested 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Happy new year to and thanks to Oldddudders for being so prompt to get 2021 up and running. The ominous thing is Mercedes stopped development on their car before the Nurburgring to concentrate on the 'limited changes'  allowed for 2021, whereas  Red Bull kept going until the end. Keeping the powder dry springs to mind:devil:.

• Agree 4

With fairly limited changes to the cars, it's hard to see beyond more of the same.

If they manage to run the schedule as planned it'll be interesting to see if it holds my interest. The packed relentless schedule (and different tracks) kept me interested last year even after it became clear that it was going to be #7 for Sir Lewis.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

With fairly limited changes to the cars, it's hard to see beyond more of the same.

If they manage to run the schedule as planned it'll be interesting to see if it holds my interest. The packed relentless schedule (and different tracks) kept me interested last year even after it became clear that it was going to be #7 for Sir Lewis.

So It's the car that counts and the knighthood will make him more objectionable that usual !!!

2 hours ago, Kendo54 said:

So It's the car that counts and the knighthood will make him more objectionable that usual !!!

Why? Others might say he’s a rôle model for those from humble origins to achieve against the odds. He has matured over the years into a very likeable young man besides being a talented driver. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ah, I see, the 2021 thread was started in 2020 and you all went here, that's why I had no answers to my question about a possible book purchase! Has anyone bought or read "Formula 1 an Official History" by Maurice Hamilton? Is it worth buying? I note it's a Liberty Media book so I have my doubts but wanted a second opinion before buying (I have some Amazon vouchers to spend!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ian’s in France, it was 2021 locally ;)

Thanks for picking up the mantle! Look forward to another season. I think the driver changes are likely to be the biggest source of excitement. I think Mazepin could cause fireworks, and not necessarily for the right reasons! Alonso will no doubt moan like hell. Danny Ric will smile incessantly and hopefully get some great results out of the McLaren. Hamilton to romp away with the title again. Perez to overdrive in an attempt to stay with Max at some race starts, they’ll collide at least twice, but he’ll get some strong results still.  

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Ah, I see, the 2021 thread was started in 2020 and you all went here, that's why I had no answers to my question about a possible book purchase! Has anyone bought or read "Formula 1 an Official History" by Maurice Hamilton? Is it worth buying? I note it's a Liberty Media book so I have my doubts but wanted a second opinion before buying (I have some Amazon vouchers to spend!

I used to see his writings in the Observer. As he has attended over 450 F1 races as an independent journo, I suspect his take is worth rather more than mine....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well late to the Party.

Firstly a BIG thanks to Ian @Oldddudders for starting the thread and what a great into read it was too. Thanks.

I hope we can see more winners in 21, the likes of Perez, Max, Danny Ric, Bottas, Lando, and of course Lewis. 

The change in Practice will have some effects especially if a driver is struggling to get the perfect set up.

I honestly don't think we will see any sparks of former brilliance from The Vet or AlFonso, and it will take a time for Mick Shu to bed in in an uncompetitive Haas.

Finally I do hope that George Russell can get some Points this year and is rewarded with a Merc Seat for 2022.

Thanks again Ian.:good: 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Maurice Hamilton is an extremely experienced and well respected motor racing journo and writer. He has written books on Ken Tyrrell, Niki Lauda, Frank Williams to name but a few. I have a few of his books. He rates alongside Doug Nye in my opinion.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Whether Perez really can match Max and change the ratio up front, I’m not sure.

If he does, and starts taking points off Mad Max, how long before MM starts flinging accusations and blame for the resulting tangles that will certainly occur, and team orders are instigated.

Edited by daltonparva
Me spellin wurnt gud enuff.
  • Agree 5

I think we’re going to see some fascinating pairings of “team mates” this year!

I’d say that Lewis will be pleased that he has good old, dependable Valtteri in his garage.  Valtteri will probably have his usual New Year rejuvenation, holding Lewis for the first three or four races before gradually losing ground.  Expect V to out qualify L early on, as well.

As has been mentioned, the Red Bull pairing could lead to fireworks.  I think Checko has a lot more all-round racing talent and knows how to get under Max’s skin.  Much depends on whether the team give priority (and to what extent) to either of their drivers.  Max will still out-qualify his team mate over the course of the season, but they’ll be much closer (in every sense?) during the races.

Seb could rediscover some form at Aston Martin/Force India/Pink Mercedes.  Maybe not as much a challenge as he was during the first half of 2018 (that crash in his home GP was a watershed moment), but enough to accumulate a few podiums (or even podia).  I think he will out-qualify Stroll on most occasions - which will be a turn-up after his comparative qualifying performances last year.

Sorry Lando, but you’ve now got a team mate who’s going to set the pace.  Can you keep up?

Now Renault should be fun.  Ocon was slow to recover form last year, but now has a team mate in the same position.  I don’t think Fernando is going to like playing second fiddle to a driver he regards as second string.  Cue tantrums and perhaps a couple of shunts before he starts to get his act together.

Ferrari have a couple of nice and talented drivers, but a car that is falling behind.  Charles will still out-drive his car, and I don’t see Carlos being far behind.  The team will go forward through the mutual respect of the pairing.

Toro Rosso, or Alpha Whatsit will prove that Pierre is a better driver than Alex.  Sorry, Alex.

I fail to understand (ok, yes - it’s daddy’s money) what possessed Haas to sign Marzepin.  He’s going to be the mobile track hazard and a discredit on and off the track.  Not a team player, his services dispensed with by the halfway point, for the good of the grid. 

Sorry to George, Kimi and to the remaining drivers at Williams, Alfa and Haas.  I wish it were different, but you’re there to make up numbers and to pick up the odd point when there’s high attrition.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yes 21 could be most interesting, hope RB have really closed the gap and maybe three or four others can start nipping at the top pairs heels too. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So, the new thread is running thanks to Ian and I look forward to all your entertaining comments and interresting links! I think this is one of the most read threads in the forum....

Happy New Year by the way!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vecchio said:

So, the new thread is running thanks to Ian and I look forward to all your entertaining comments and interresting links! I think this is one of the most read threads in the forum....

Happy New Year by the way!

If not the most read, it certainly is one where no one falls out and throws their toys out of the pram, haha:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1