Hornby 2021 - HST & Mk3 range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, GordonC said:

That one looks unusual with the yellow across the bodyside grille and silver outline 'Intercity 125' with black infill. I'm guessing it was an early repaint

Yes, it was the earliest version of executive before the dark grey sweep over the radiator grille was added for practical reasons.

• Like 1

Yes what is also interesting is Hornby never even altered the design from the original Hornby early executive livery train sets/train packs after 1984. As seen here; R556 High Speed Train Set 1984–1985, R401 High Speed Train Pack 1984–1987 and R673 High Speed Train Set 1986–1987.  

Also does anyone please remember the name and year of this fascinating television documentary about Inter-City 125s?

I used to remember the name of it but now I am drawn a blank.

Hst Intercity 125 documentary

It is annoying as the full documentary was removed from YouTube about ten years ago now.

Also please does anyone know where I could possibly find it and was it released on commercial VHS or DVD or anything? 

Thank You.

Ryan.

1984_r556.jpg

1984_r401.jpg

1986_r401.jpg

1986_r673.jpg

The new Intercity livery coaches look great. However with the variation I've seen with Hornby's intercity livery over the years, wondering how the latest coaches compare with the current Intercity livery power cars R30097 and how they compare with the previous R3271.  Thinking esp about the shade of light and dark grey.

Partly asking as I prefer the unnamed R3271 than R30097 where both power cars are named.  My memory is that whilst one named power car was not unusual I dont recall many instances o both power cars being named.

Edited by Waverley47708

1 hour ago, Waverley47708 said:

The new Intercity livery coaches look great. However with the variation I've seen with Hornby's intercity livery over the years, wondering how the latest coaches compare with the current Intercity livery power cars R30097 and how they compare with the previous R3271.  Thinking esp about the shade of light and dark grey.

Partly asking as I prefer the unnamed R3271 than R30097 where both power cars are named.  My memory is that whilst one named power car was not unusual I dont recall many instances o both power cars being named.

The latest liveried coaches are comparable in shade with the previous ones but all of our fleet for Kirkhill is weathered to some degree.

The main gripe we had was the livery did not extend around the ends far enough. As bought:

20240916_1544021.jpg.604e431c1e7cdeabf9fdb1ee1c03e4b8.jpg

...and after I had painted the second set of 8 coaches using Railmatch executive light grey and dark grey..

20240927_2241011.jpg.e35cdb7e20a239c50b54673d239ba74f.jpg

The blue and grey set suffers from the same problem.

Regarding the naming of power cars, in January 1988 there were 87 Western Region power cars of which 14 were named and 110 Eastern Region power cars of which 41 were named so the ratio really depends where you are modelling.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Flood said:

Regarding the naming of power cars, in January 1988 there were 87 Western Region power cars of which 14 were named and 110 Eastern Region power cars of which 41 were named so the ratio really depends where you are modelling.

Thanks Flood,

Hadn't seen the actual ratio of named to unnamed power cars before, but that tallies with my memor on the ECML.  It was quite common to see two unnamed or one named one unnamed.  I can't recall ever seeing two named on one set but I guess it might have occured.

Oh for the days when a bit of sellotape removed a nameplate as it did with some of my Lima locos back in the day!

Would be great if someone with the earlier power car R3271 could do a  photo with it coupled to one of the newest coach.  Hornby's executive light grey in particular has varied so much over time.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested as well. Hornby's latest executive light grey sits well / compares well with Railmatch. Hornby's swallow livery R2702 power car executive light grey is not spot on but it hasn't bothered me sufficiently to redo them. It's a tad garish. 

...and after I had painted the second set of 8 coaches using Railmatch executive light grey and dark grey..

That's even more faff than repainting the executive light yellow on Hornby's latest batch of Sleepers. Why, Hornby, why? Lima got it it right.

Are you replacing the Inter City 125 logos?

I give you executive light yellow (I've just started masking), at least Hornby have applied the stripes well and round the corners:

DSC04194snipped.JPG

1 hour ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

Are you replacing the Inter City 125 logos?

We have, yes, and renumbered them using Railtech numbers. 43079 is from R3602, the one behind is 43092 which was a R2701 power car in blue and grey without exhaust deflectors (Lima deflectors and exhausts now fitted).

IMG-20240922-WA00141.jpg.e3ba8d26e763ce02ebf524f78efdde33.jpg

• Like 7

My new BR Blue power cars arrived today. Unfortunately I missed the £279 offer from Jadlam, but was ok with £299 from another supplier.

here is a bit of a car and contrast of the earliest and latest versions of the Hornby Blue and Grey power cars.

59CE6C51-C04B-4B78-A380-5E8E17FC997B.jpeg

6D42AED7-8FC9-4301-88C2-FC820652743B.jpeg

7BFB0F60-63F3-4B1F-97E4-6E969B6CEB87.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

Edited by aureol40012
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/08/2024 at 18:25, adb968008 said:

these pictures agree with you..

43026 "City of Westminster", Great Malvern, 25-03-87

flickr urls / not mine..

St Erth

The 125 is missing on the intercity buffet model pictures above.
but i only recall intercity buffets being aligned closer to the doors, not the centre.

Certainly Blue-Grey Buffet was positioned centrally, for only a period but not entirely.

Just watched a video from 88 with clear shots of a number of East Coast HST's in early exec livery and they have they have the buffet lettering in the centre along with 125 as per Blue and Grey sets, and no gap between the Inter and City maybe the first few were like that and then they changed, otherwise Hornby have got it wrong. I can live with the intercity gap but the errors on the Buffet are annoying

Edited by 40002
  • Like 1

Received my InterCity liveried HST and I'm really impressed. Has a lovely finish to it and goes beautifully with Hornby's latest mark 3 coaches. 

Due to my camera, this image isn't the best.

20241008_195419.jpg

• Like 10

Hi all. I’m sure this may have been answered but struggling to find the info. I am picking my power cars up on Sunday at GETS. I have a NCE Powercab. Will they run straight out of the box with the sound functions or do I have to do anything 1st? 
Many thanks

Cheers. 
Bill. 

9 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

Hi all. I’m sure this may have been answered but struggling to find the info. I am picking my power cars up on Sunday at GETS. I have a NCE Powercab. Will they run straight out of the box with the sound functions or do I have to do anything 1st? 
Many thanks

Cheers. 
Bill. 

Yes

i just changed the number in each from the default 3

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 03/10/2024 at 20:47, aureol40012 said:

My new BR Blue power cars arrived today. Unfortunately I missed the £279 offer from Jadlam, but was ok with £299 from another supplier.

here is a bit of a car and contrast of the earliest and latest versions of the Hornby Blue and Grey power cars.

59CE6C51-C04B-4B78-A380-5E8E17FC997B.jpeg

6D42AED7-8FC9-4301-88C2-FC820652743B.jpeg

7BFB0F60-63F3-4B1F-97E4-6E969B6CEB87.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

These were made in small quantities or sold really well. I was looking at a set for Christmas of either these or the Executive pair, Blue/Grey set is sold out at Hornby and most of the box shifters. Going to have to get my fingers out if I want a set.

Edited by 47423
  • Like 1

I decided to go for the Executive sound pair as Bure Valley Models are selling them at a reasonable discount. Only just more than the Blue/Grey set was selling for.

I don’t suppose anyone knows of a supplier of replacement etched brake disks for the power cars? I feel there must be something better than the silver/grey plastic ones they come with. I assume this is just an insert and could be persuaded out if there was something better to replace it with.

Rich

36 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

I don’t suppose anyone knows of a supplier of replacement etched brake disks for the power cars? I feel there must be something better than the silver/grey plastic ones they come with. I assume this is just an insert and could be persuaded out if there was something better to replace it with.

Rich

Hurst Models used to do a set specifically for a HST. Alternatively Stenson Models do a range of brake disc inserts which I would recommend. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

On 18/10/2024 at 23:52, billywhizz said:

Hurst Models used to do a set specifically for a HST. Alternatively Stenson Models do a range of brake disc inserts which I would recommend. 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

I'm not sure Hurst Models are still active. They had some sought after things that haven't been available for some time

On 18/10/2024 at 23:14, Rich Papper said:

I don’t suppose anyone knows of a supplier of replacement etched brake disks for the power cars? 

There are a number of etched versions available on eBay and Railtec do decals to simulate the bolt heads.

Roddy