Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

If this is the same motor as used in the B12 and S15, that's precisely how it performs - it does get warm in operation, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

I actually like the idea of a fairly bright firebox glow, particularly with a very large locomotive, but that it's there is a nice bonus.

Black Prince looks superb.  Nice 'win'.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Depends what you mean by 'warm' I suppose. Most motors generate a little heat. Ran my 9F for an hour each way and dont recall it being particularly warmer than anything else. Time will tell, both of my Q6's subsequently failed unfortunately but they were heading to the hot side of the temperature range at which point running also became erratic. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

If this is the same motor as used in the B12 and S15, that's precisely how it performs - it does get warm in operation, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

I actually like the idea of a fairly bright firebox glow, particularly with a very large locomotive, but that it's there is a nice bonus.

Black Prince looks superb.  Nice 'win'.

Al.

Both the first release S15's and B12 to my knowledge, didn't suffer from motor failures.

I have 3 each of the above, which run perfectly.

It appears that the second release of motors were a bad batch?

• Informative/Useful 3

38 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It does sound plausible - bad batch of motors.

My B12 and S15 seem fine as well.

Whatever, I'll know next week when she arrives, or perhaps within the following 7-10 days' time after a fair bit of running.

Al.

I have two of the new Hornby 9fs, I have never noticed their motors getting hot. Probably the best locos I have. I do run DCC sound in both (Zimo and HM7000) so I don't know if that makes a difference.

There does seem to be a difference.  I use a Gaugemaster 'D' on DC only, so does Sam ....

Those operating them on DCC don't seem to have any issues - is this possible?

The Gaugemaster 'D' isn't known to give any issues as far as I've read ...  ??

Al.

• RMweb Premium

It might just be that, manufacturing tolerances being what they are, some mechanisms are a tad tighter than others so some motors have to work a bit harder than others, hence get a bit warmer than others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

There does seem to be a difference.  I use a Gaugemaster 'D' on DC only, so does Sam ....

Those operating them on DCC don't seem to have any issues - is this possible?

The Gaugemaster 'D' isn't known to give any issues as far as I've read ...  ??

Al.

I operate mine on a Gaugemaster DC without issue so far. TBH if there were any,given forum members being as they are,you’d have heard about them loud & clear by now. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I operate mine on a Gaugemaster DC without issue so far. TBH if there were any,given forum members being as they are,you’d have heard about them loud & clear by now. 

I think you're right there !!  🙂

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

As with any product, the only experience that really matters is your own (well, except for resale value). If you have a 9F with a motor issue or which has inadequate pulling power then that's a problem regardless of whether others have experienced no problems. The reverse is equally true, if you have a 9F which operates flawlessly then if others have problems it's something to note in case you run into issues later but it's very easy to assume reports of an issue mean all examples have a problem.

This is the problem with reviews. I actually enjoy Sam's Trains for example and find his videos informative and enjoyable, I find Sam an engaging fellow. There are other people doing YT reviews and we still have the magazines. If the reviewer gets a bad sample they should offer an honest review and note it, but I also think we are viewers and readers should be cautious in how we use reviews. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I totally agree.  I like watching Sam's Trains' videos and take note of observations, good or bad.

If it's a locomotive I'm seriously interested in, I'll hunt out other reviews to establish consistency - one-off or a potential fault - and then make my decision.

This time ... hopefully it's a gud'un - certainly looks superb alone.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1