Hornby 2021 - 9F new tooling

AY Mod

I hope midlandred doesn't mind me using part of his posted image to illustrate:

It might just be the lighting but those tooling tooling lines along the boiler/smoke-box look rather prominent. I can't remember seeing anything like that on the prototypes.

1080811722_AE569968-EF66-45CE-8646-A805E4A3CAD62.jpg.eb66d12e9bea882a39e4f8a9ecf3122e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

I thought 92167 was supposed to be in early crest, and 92194 was in late crest? Have these been switched? I ordered a late crest 92194 and late crest is what i'm expecting.

Both late crest, 92194 also has electrification flashes. Photos on Carnforth Models FB page

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/01/2021 at 11:58, Pandora said:

9F 92167 became a 2-8-2 after both rearmost  sections of the coupling rods were removed, will Hornby model that unique feature?

In mid 1968,  92167 was in store in the sidings  at Carnforth as a 2-8-2,  but little ,if, any, evidence 92167 ever worked as a 2-8-2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

The box end shown on KJB models website also shows that the boxes now look like lift off lids instead of sleeves. Or am i seeing this wrong? 

9BDC4221-F956-460E-B07C-ED6AD52B24D7.jpeg

That’s right, and the top is a bit stiff to remove. It’s good in that I think it makes the box stiffer though, making it more secure for the model. Just be careful and try levering, from side to side, the top off the bottom.

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

It might just be the lighting but those tooling tooling lines along the boiler/smoke-box look rather prominent. 

1080811722_AE569968-EF66-45CE-8646-A805E4A3CAD62.jpg.eb66d12e9bea882a39e4f8a9ecf3122e.jpg

I must firstly admit that as a general rule I do not buy British models but I have noticed similar joins on other 00 models and I don't remember seeing them back in the 1970's.

I assume these joins are a cost cutting production issue these days but they are a backward step in my opinion. Are these joins exclusively a Hornby issue or are all rtr models made this way now? 

7 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I must firstly admit that as a general rule I do not buy British models but I have noticed similar joins on other 00 models and I don't remember seeing them back in the 1970's.

I assume these joins are a cost cutting production issue these days but they are a backward step in my opinion. Are these joins exclusively a Hornby issue or are all rtr models made this way now? 

They should be smoothed out in the factory. They are a feature of nearly all steam outline models now, as it enables details and recesses to be moulded into the top of the boiler (e.g. the dome is a separate plastic part that needs to be mounted into a vertical recess, and the washout plugs are better moulded on a top opening tool than a side opening one.

This said, compared to the join on the next section of tool (below the dome) that first one does seem a bit prominent. 

14 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I thought 92167 was supposed to be in early crest, and 92194 was in late crest? Have these been switched? I ordered a late crest 92194 and late crest is what i'm expecting.

I remember seeing somewhere that both black 9f's now have the late crest. This I think was also borne out in the CGI llustration in the Hornby catalogue.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

They were prominent on the nose of the preproduction versions of the Accurascale Deltic - it was noted and dealt with. Where there is a will ……….

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to the two forum members who have posted images of their 9F .To compare,I have just scrutinised one of my own Bachmann version. ATM,I can identify two areas where the new Hornby version just might score. One is the chimney which on the Bachmann is flat& not hollowed out and the other the connection between loco and tender which is outdated.I cannot see any other noticeable improvement cosmetically. 

Bachmann’s 9F remains a fine model with good overall performance.Unfortunately,I have several and it will require a great deal of soul searching on my part to justify a not insubstantial capital outlay on this.And I have no doubt that Hornby have produced a superb model

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Photo belonging to KJB Models posted on their Facebook shows the boxes. I like the new standard box, with the red border. 

19E4D7FB-AD1F-45C5-A19D-332404A90B01.jpeg

Just noticed the box above for Evening Star. Are Hornby actually marketing this model in association with the NRM as has been the case in the past ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I think we need to take a reality check on the ‘tooling joins’. I thought, having seen the comment on my photo last night, I’d never be able to un see them. Not the case though (thankfully). They, in my opinion, are not unduly noticeable to the naked eye - only the iphone camera, in certain lights, picks them up and accentuates them (in the same way it alters the appearance of sky - I took some shots of the Red Arrows at Bournemouth the other day and the sky effect on the pictures was astonishing with broken cloud - I suspect the camera has some sort of built in polarising effect). A few more photos - I still think it’s a stunning model, although I’m a sucker for a 9F - especially one I saw around Birmingham in Saltley and Birkenhead days. I think Hornby has produced a cracker, and the purchasing/ packaging/ transport (via DPD) all match the quality of the model. The box was in a polythene sleeve. It is top loaded - use the cut outs at the side to release it slightly then the top can be slid off - quite a tight fit - not quite the finger/hand wrestling match as per a Heljan though!!

D8BA29EB-E030-4A87-B1E4-7249B857AB26.jpeg.4484bd4a5c04e13177684aa7535f847e.jpeg

0E6EDFE0-8914-4C85-9C3D-2EA68284DEF5.jpeg.01529d0ce2a7c41d56cc6fbfa081fc9f.jpeg

E9873ACB-7719-4A5A-AD13-941E913B7E50.jpeg.11beda50e000be263c7040c1dec43dc2.jpeg

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 7

It seems Hornby have gone down the Heljan/Accurascale/Dapol mode for packaging this. Either it is a weight issue (diecast as a heavy model), or they feel the need for a premium packaging for a premium model.

I'm impressed and can't wait for my Evening Star.

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I can identify two areas where the new Hornby version just might score.

Visually, one area were the Hornby 9F improves over the Bachmann model is the appearance  of the interface at the apex of the firebox and boiler. The Bachmann rendering can be seen in the bottom photo in this post:

Hornbys rendition (as seen in the phot above) is much nearer the prototype.

P

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

It might just be the lighting but those tooling tooling lines along the boiler/smoke-box look rather prominent. I can't remember seeing anything like that on the prototypes.

The two prominent round ejector pin marks are still on the insides of the smoke deflectors as well...

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I mentioned Bachmann’s loco to tender coupling above as being not to current standard. Yet in the images posted here of the new Hornby there appears to be a distinctly noticeable gap. Am I correct in this ?

There are two sockets for the tender pin to engage - the model’s delivered connected to the outer socket (presumably to allow it to negotiate the curves quoted on the box) - when I said I plan to close couple mine I just meant couple it via the inner socket provided.

Here’s a photo showing the three levels of packaging - the outer box was neatly packed with bubble wrap as the outer Hornby box is smaller.

6D835546-5F67-418F-8C18-94F61EFFAA31.jpeg.9148ad8bfc61379b3506b7d7b319d66b.jpeg

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Informative/Useful 1