Ground Frame at wayside station on single line

• RMweb Premium

Per the drawing, which I hope posts OK, you can see the basic arrangement.

Point A on running line

FPL on running line

Point B is hand operated with local lever

Traps C1 & C2 are to stop unauthorized movements onto running line

I am presuming, but would appreciate confirmation, that Trap points C1 and C2 would be co-worked with point A by one ground frame lever, and the FPL by a second. The GF would be released by the token for the single line; this location not being a Block Post.

Point B is operated by a local lever, not one in the GF.

The prototype was on the NER.

Many thanks in advance

Mark

New Microsoft Word Document.docx

• RMweb Premium

That is how I understand it.  Frame would have two levers; the FPL, and the lever that opens A, C1 and C2.  The position of point B is irrelevant to the security of the mainline.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, DLT - that's interesting,

This is what I was asking about - as you can see - or not - the view of the GF is from the side.

http://disused-stations.org.uk/s/scalby/scalby_old13.jpg

It's quite an interesting track layout - something different, anyway :)

I've got some kits for the point levers and the GF - and I'm going to try & do the rodding too, but I draw the line at making it work!

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DLT said:

That is how I understand it.  Frame would have two levers; the FPL, and the lever that opens A, C1 and C2.  The position of point B is irrelevant to the security of the mainline.

Wouldn't there also be a third lever released by an Annett's key, in turn releasing the other two?

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Depending on the distance between points A and B, you could place a trap point between these two points providing that a wagon derailed by this set up would not foul the main running line.

Hi Gordon

Very true. However, if you look at the photo I tried to insert in my previous post - but only got the URL, I think - you'll see that it's quite a tight location, hence the interesting arrangement.

http://disused-stations.org.uk/s/scalby/scalby_old13.jpg

Mark

>>>Wouldn't there also be a third lever released by an Annett's key, in turn releasing the other two?

I have encountered both versions, although I would venture to say that the simpler 2-lever version appears to have been more common - after all, why spend money on a 3rd lever it you can do the job with 2? I think it all depends upon the custom & practice of the relevant railway company at the time.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

That is a nice country station Mark C. Your diagram is right. It is quite a compact layout.

I like the picture.

As you have a photograph showing the details of the prototype just copy the example.

I would not like to change the point using the white point lever too often.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

That is a nice country station Mark C. Your diagram is right. It is quite a compact layout.

I like the picture.

As you have a photograph showing the details of the prototype just copy the example.

Gordon A

Yes a good old solid and heavy 'one way' handpoint lever - not nice things and they seem to have largely disappeared during the '60s (as they were replaced by two way levers) although a few remained in rarely used points.  Quite a sensible idea having that one there with the camping coaches in the siding behind the platform although that point (B on the diagram) has also been clipped and spiked.

One way handpoint lever - only moved the point switches one way when moved, It had to be turned the opposite way to turn the switches the opposite way

Two way handpoint lever - turned the switches two ways (i.e in either direction) but was always pulled in the same direction whichever way you wanted to move the switches

(Yes, it does sound the opposite way round to what you might think doesn't it. ;) )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

I like the picture.

Gordon A

That's the plan, Gordon. As you can see - or rather not - the GF is side on in the photo, hence my checking if it was likely to be 2 levers or 3.

As for the hand point levers, as Stationmaster Mike says, they were solid and heavy. At least once they were moved, they stayed where you left them! But, as we know, it was a different way of life back then. Shunters running alongside moving vehicles trying to pin brakes down, for example. H & S? Wassat?

Mark

• Like 2

>>>>Yes a good old solid and heavy 'one way' handpoint lever - not nice things and they seem to have largely disappeared during the '60s (as they were replaced by two way levers) although a few remained in rarely used points.....

I can recall tripping (painfully!) over one hidden in the undergrowth in the disused yard at Washford in the late 1960s :-(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

The stock rail of the left hand trap in the linked photo is an interesting shape - turned back in towards the running line at the end.  Presumably to prevent a derailed vehicle taking out the rodding?

It could well be - that certainly makes sense. One of those little details to get right :)

Mark

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2020 at 17:54, Nick C said:

Wouldn't there also be a third lever released by an Annett's key, in turn releasing the other two?

Using a separate lever for the release was more common for electrically released frames where you had to press a plunger at the same time as pulling the lever from the locked position. It's quite hard to pull a ground frame lever with an FPL bar attached one-handed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1