Adding operational interest to a steam engine shed layout.

Yan

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The footplate mess room (known on the western as 'the cabin') needs to be near to the Running Foreman's office as does the Time Office - Foremen didn't like to have to walk too far ;).

Arriving at the number of staff is going to result in bigger numbers than you are probably expecting.   With a relatively small shed like that you can probably reckon the running side Labourers as 2 Coal Men on a shift, 2 on fire dropping/cleaning on each shift probably plus an extra one at busy times and at least one, probably two others, on general labouring jobs around the shed plus helping the fire droppers.  That adds up to7 or 8 men on a shift.

Mechanical etc staff are also fairly easy to work out - a Fitter plus Mate and a Labourer on  each shift, a Boilersmith and Mate probably working on only one shift but possibly two, another labourer for various odd jobs, and a Storeman on each shift.

The number of footplatemen needs a fair bit of calculation but don't forget that most of them won't be around the shed at the same time. It is possible to work out the total number from the number of locos and turns they would cover but I wouldn't bother to be honest.  You could probably reasonably work on there being no more than a dozen at the very most being on depot at the same time  with a shed ferry set (Driver + Fireman) and a few others sets either spare or getting underway on their turn of duty,  but there are likely to be alot of lockers!

Many thanks for that information @The Stationmaster Modelu figures arrived this morning, very nice they are too. Might need to get myself scanned in a couple of poses for the coaling stage...:)

• Like 1

I've taken the plunge and decided to start a blog about this project.

Rospeath Lane - BR(WR) Engine Shed

Thought about a topic in the layout forums but find the threads can get side tracked and very long. When finding an interesting topic that has many pages I tend to only skim read or just look for eye candy and therefore miss some important info. So I'm thinking if I do start a layout thread it will be for general chat/updates/discussions with links to relevant parts of the above blog or requests for information.

Sorry if this may be going against the grain.

Oh If you do intend to read this first entry, be warned, it is a tad long...:)

Edited by Yan
  • Like 1