The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Theft of Amazon deliveries

gordon s

22 minutes ago, Fenman said:

There was I thinking you must be the Duke of Wellington, and you live in Number 1, London...

Which just has to be the best address in the country, doesn't it?

Paul

Well, not really, because:

1) It's right next to, and directly overlooking, the Hyde Park Corner gyratory so the traffic is horrendous, and

2) That's not, and never actually has been, the postal address of Apsley House.  It was allegedly given that nickname because it was the first house passed by visitors travelling in to London via the toll gates on Knightsbridge (at the SW corner of Hyde Park, close by where the Albert Hall now stands).  Its official address is 149 Piccadilly, and it has the modern postcode W1J 7NT.  The reason it stands on its own is that a number of lower-numbered Piccadilly addresses were demolished to accommodate the widening of Park Lane (I think the next-lower numbered property still extant is number 139, two doors down from the Hard Rock Cafe).

• Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Well, not really, because:

1) It's right next to, and directly overlooking, the Hyde Park Corner gyratory so the traffic is horrendous, and

2) That's not, and never actually has been, the postal address of Apsley House.  It was allegedly given that nickname because it was the first house passed by visitors travelling in to London via the toll gates on Knightsbridge (at the SW corner of Hyde Park, close by where the Albert Hall now stands).  Its official address is 149 Piccadilly, and it has the modern postcode W1J 7NT.  The reason it stands on its own is that a number of lower-numbered Piccadilly addresses were demolished to accommodate the widening of Park Lane (I think the next-lower numbered property still extant is number 139, two doors down from the Hard Rock Cafe).

I think the correct internet response to that Homeric humourlessness is "Whooooooosh".  :unknw_mini:

Paul

• Agree 3

Grocery and parcel delivery drivers (but not the Post Office) get confused with the development in which we live. The houses are numbered 1, 2, 3, etc which, for some reason they find a problem. Mind you. no 8 doesn't have a number, just a name, which might add to the difficulty.

As for missing parcels, none that I can remember and Mrs Plane gets numerous deliveries. We have a safe and weatherproof space behind a tall gate. It's an unused plastic compost bin!

steve

• Like 1

Fortunately we live in a cul-de-sac where everyone knows each other and we take in parcels for each other if nobody is in.

One of the posts above reminds me of an episode of The Simpson's. Homer was trying to get rid of a trampoline. He tried everything; even throwing it away down a gorge but it bounced back. Eventually his neighbour suggested chaining it to a post. Within seconds it'd gone...

• Funny 6

There was I singing Amazon's praises, when we got a mail confirming a delivery this evening.....:D

This is the gate to our driveway with the footpath to the right. I found the guy nicking stuff hiding in the hedge between the two. I guess this is what happens with temporary Christmas delivery staff. The blue bag is our weeks rubbish, so it it wasn't pinched overnight, it could have gone off with the blue bag......:D 

(They wouldn't do that, our bin guys are priceless)....:drink_mini:

DSCF1423.jpg.6e7d95df7917cbae20f68b26f6b9afb9.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, EddieB said:

In fairness to the delivery drivers (though I’m sure it doesn’t apply here), there are many properties where the house number is not displayed, or cannot easily be seen from the street outside.

I worked in transport it was unbelievable the number of commercial premises with no sign up. 

Post codes narrow down to a group of houses although our last 2 houses on modern estates the postcode applied to the street as a whole. 

• Like 2

There wss a council estate on our round when i worked for the council that must have been named and laid out by someone on mind altering substances at the time. The streets were named after rivers not the problem the problem was that the houses were set out in such a way that there would be 4 houses of one street next to 4 of anotherstreet and so on .Confusion reigned

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The first house we owned was a row house on a court (cul-de-sac). There were 2 rows on our side. The unit at the start of the street had an address on the street we came off of. 84 Elmvale was attached to 2 Pontiac.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The estate we lived in in MK, was built in outward facing squares with a playground inside the square.

That meant each square had its own name but faced 3 or 4 roads. The walk up one road towards work had a dozen named squares six on each side..  confusion was high on that one..

You'll note I said 3 or 4 roads, if the square hit the side of the estate there was no road, just a foot path.

Great for emergency access or furniture delivery...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

There wss a council estate on our round when i worked for the council that must have been named and laid out by someone on mind altering substances at the time. The streets were named after rivers not the problem the problem was that the houses were set out in such a way that there would be 4 houses of one street next to 4 of anotherstreet and so on .Confusion reigned

ever been to Washington (Tyne and Wear).. it is confusing.com!

Baz

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

You'll note I said 3 or 4 roads, if the square hit the side of the estate there was no road, just a foot path.

Great for emergency access or furniture delivery...

Reminded me of a colleague many years ago who got a letter from Readers Digest saying he had won a prize in the draw. The letter began with the words "imagine the suprise on the faces of your neighbours when you arrive at your front door in your new luxury car" he lived in a similar development.  Sorry even more OT.

• Like 1