Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I think we managed to scratch together enough information and pictures of the cabs, although they don't always tally with the two diagrams represented by the upgrade kit.

Any help required, just ask and if the paint won't come off your old coach, you're welcome to my spare one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think we managed to scratch together enough information and pictures of the cabs, although they don't always tally with the two diagrams represented by the upgrade kit.

Any help required, just ask and if the paint won't come off your old coach, you're welcome to my spare one.

Thanks Rob on both counts.

I recall seeing cab photos on one of the threads, just couldn't remember which one. I already have some of the relevant pages bookmarked.

My aim will be to add it as a carriage build blog, so all my photos are together in one place.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Some rather impressionist splodges of green / grey / brown applied to the back scene and the plantation has been planted.

This is roughly what I was aiming for and I think that @Winslow Boy will approve of the lack of ground cover.

woodland-spring-fresh-green-needlelike-260nw-1713133897.jpg.ae7e3698c3a5e181a31bde7c0f29dc14.jpg

I flattened the back of the rear row of trees so that any shadows will hopefully merge into the painted background.

IMG_20240909_0029112.jpg.f7f4b8f4c069ba99bd668fb025690e3c.jpg

IMG_20240909_0026112.jpg.439c47521d53fa523920fc593c080eb6.jpg

IMG_20240909_0026163.jpg.94d29de84f62a6f2137055644065ed05.jpg

IMG_20240909_0028552.jpg.9d80b9fcbe3b90cb5a6a7fb8a051014d.jpg

The light makes a big difference.

Excellent Rob, really great scene, love the broken gate 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Some rather impressionist splodges of green / grey / brown applied to the back scene and the plantation has been planted.

This is roughly what I was aiming for and I think that @Winslow Boy will approve of the lack of ground cover.

woodland-spring-fresh-green-needlelike-260nw-1713133897.jpg.ae7e3698c3a5e181a31bde7c0f29dc14.jpg

I flattened the back of the rear row of trees so that any shadows will hopefully merge into the painted background.

IMG_20240909_0029112.jpg.f7f4b8f4c069ba99bd668fb025690e3c.jpg

IMG_20240909_0026112.jpg.439c47521d53fa523920fc593c080eb6.jpg

IMG_20240909_0026163.jpg.94d29de84f62a6f2137055644065ed05.jpg

IMG_20240909_0028552.jpg.9d80b9fcbe3b90cb5a6a7fb8a051014d.jpg

The light makes a big difference.

That’s really impressive, Rob. I can almost fear the pheasants!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That’s really impressive, Rob. I can almost fear the pheasants!

I hope we don't hear pheasants, we'll have grandpa in law up here with his shotgun!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A bus tractor would do the trick.

A bus would just result in another big hole in the backscene...

A tractor would be a good idea, but, I'm trying not to overpopulate the layout with vehicles and / or figures particularly at this end.

Even today, Aston is a quiet place, somewhere the tourists just pass through on the way to Clun castle.

I've only planned for a few figures, one at the garage, immersed in swearing at a recalcitrant Austin 7, then two or three at the station.

It's a bit of a balancing act.

• Like 10

One thing I would like to include on the western side of the bridge is a linesman's telephone hut as I imagine that the branch would be part of the economic maintenance scheme, or at least save walking back to the signal box at the opposite end of the layout.

The only picture I have handy is this one taken from the book on the Shipston On Stour branch. I imagine it to be about 4ft deep, 3ft wide and 7ft 6 inch to the ridge.

Does anyone have any better photos or an actual drawing for these?

IMG_20240909_1246512.jpg.87c3c29b968685493daeaddf3b22bfeb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

One thing I would like to include on the western side of the bridge is a linesman's telephone hut as I imagine that the branch would be part of the economic maintenance scheme, or at least save walking back to the signal box at the opposite end of the layout.

The only picture I have handy is this one taken from the book on the Shipston On Stour branch. I imagine it to be about 4ft deep, 3ft wide and 7ft 6 inch to the ridge.

Does anyone have any better photos or an actual drawing for these?

IMG_20240909_1246512.jpg.87c3c29b968685493daeaddf3b22bfeb.jpg

That is a terrible photo.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

That is a terrible photo.

Regards Lez. 

Yes, it is.

Which is why I was hoping someone else has a decent photo. 

They always seem to have a telephone pole behind them too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll have a look in my books and see if I can find something but it's probably gonna be Midland or LMS I don't have much in the way of GW book wise although I do have some of the old Bristol-Birmingham line and lines around Birmingham so I might get lucky.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing in my two GWR books that aren't either Broad Gauge or Loco Drawings, also broad gauge, Ok so it is a little weakness of mine, I have some BR books as well about the west midlands so I haven't given up other than that it's midland or LMS. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2

Thanks for taking a look, I've found a couple of pictures but they are in deep shadow and only recognisable by size and the short telephone pole at the back. 

I have a small mountain of books to go through methinks.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping to find one b4 I hit the MR/LMS and derivatives section. I have so many of them it'll take weeks.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Rob I'm going to show my ignorance here, but here goes. Never stopped you before comes the cry back.

Wouldn't a lines man hut be the same whether it was? It is just a hut containing a telephone after all and at the end of the day it would be a fairly simple affair i.e four walls and a roof (pitched or sloping) just big enough to fit a man inside.

As I said I know nothing so freely ignore, but just thought I'd try and stop you before you disappeared down a rabbit hole.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I can't remember whether I've got a book on GW signalling, I suspect that would be the most likely place to find a drawing. Having now moved, I've just emptied most of my boxes of books onto actual shelves, so I may even be able to find it, if I've got one, though I think there are still some boxes in the garage...

Thoroughly enjoying this thread (even the diversions)!

Cheers,

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I found this photo of a 7mm model GWR linesman’s hut which says it is based on an article in Great Western Journal no 27:
http://www.gwr.org.uk/galatkinson1.html (scroll half way down the page).

edit: I just checked my stash of GWJ and unfortunately I don’t have no 27, however the WesternThunder index says p178 contains a drawing of a "Standard Fog Hut" together with a photograph.

Edited by GWR57xx
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3