Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 1466 said:

And Black Tower and Hungarian Bull’s Blood ?

A proper Hungarian Egri Bikavér (Bull's Blood) is a very nice drop indeed.

• Agree 1

Good morning folks,

In the bad old BR engineering days the first thing after getting on site (depot/works, not trackside) was to have a brew (tea usually) and discuss the day's work with the host.

Tea was always strong/well stewed, otherwise known as 'railway tea '.

When I met the Boss (SWMBO) she politely put up with my railway tea but said she preferred it slightly weaker.

I then became aware that several of her friends and work colleagues were the same.

Except one who hailed from Merseyside.

So now we have two versions - railway/Scouse tea (well-brewed) or Derby tea ( wave the bag at it but don't leave it).

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GMKAT7 said:

In the bad old BR engineering days the first thing after getting on site (depot/works, not trackside) was to have a brew (tea usually) and discuss the day's work with the host.

Tea was always strong/well stewed, otherwise known as 'railway tea '.

Ah yes, strong railway tea, one of the two key essentials to running the railway, the other being bad language...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Nobody has dared to mention Camp coffee…

Used by book restorers to "age" paper. 

I note that both chaps on the label are now seated, not just the weak white fellow.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Coffee
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

I note that both chaps on the label are now seated, not just the weak white fellow.

Tampering with the historical record, in both cases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Anyone remember Blue Nun?

'Blue Nun'? Wasn't that one of those 'exotic' films you could see in certain cinemas in London's Soho, back in the 1950's? LOL

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, steveNCB7754 said:

'Blue Nun'? Wasn't that one of those 'exotic' films you could see in certain cinemas in London's Soho, back in the 1950's? LOL

You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Nobody has dared to mention Camp coffee…

I suspect that it is no longer PC to describe anything as "camp"?

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Also handy for aged leather.

Apparently you can drink it too.

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I've not taken the trouble to find out if the label was altered because of a complaint by the professionally offended, or whether the brand owners have gone into panic mode.

But.

The image is clearly meant to represent a campaign or battlefield.

The Indian chap is clearly not a servant, he's a soldier. He's wearing cavalry boots for a start, so likely to represent a Bengal Lancer or something like.

So is he the officer's batman? Has he made coffee for a comrade as it's his turn? 

The long dead original artist's ideas will never be known.

camp-coffee-bottle-v-g-c_12715_main_size3.jpg.03e941cc3fd6f27aa20ac1912d1d767a.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The Indian chap is clearly not a servant, he's a soldier. He's wearing cavalry boots for a start, so likely to represent a Bengal Lancer or something like.

So is he the officer's batman? 

This, I'm sure, was the intention, though as he's clearly Indian Army, I don't see why the officer is in highland dress - the artist may have been making it up as he went along.

I'm sure that as an Imperial subject in the service of his colonial oppressors, he's smirking inwardly at the appalling stuff the British will put up with rather than partake of the delights of real Indian coffee - coffee being introduced to India in the 17th century, I read, by way of seven seeds smuggled from Arabia in the beard of a pilgrim returning from Mecca.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

This, I'm sure, was the intention, though as he's clearly Indian Army, I don't see why the officer is in highland dress - the artist may have been making it up as he went along.

I'm sure that as an Imperial subject in the service of his colonial oppressors, he's smirking inwardly at the appalling stuff the British will put up with rather than partake of the delights of real Indian coffee - coffee being introduced to India in the 17th century, I read, by way of seven seeds smuggled from Arabia in the beard of a pilgrim returning from Mecca.

Not to mention that India does a splendid line in tea, which no doubt is being drunk by the gallon by everyone else regardless of race or status.

Speaking of which, as the Memsahib is at work, I am promoted to Char Wallah and it's nearly three o'clock....

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I don't see why the officer is in highland dress - the artist may have been making it up as he went along.

Why wouldn't he be in Highland dress, the manufacturer is in Glasgow.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A modicum of task appropriate profanity and a lot of tea has the Herald looking a lot better.

IMG_20240821_105515.jpg.b0c8a9ec5ea47fa1471d00ec77a2251b.jpg

Reconstructing the bottom of the A post is the final hurdle.

IMG_20240821_105524.jpg.f190499531e3c5cf8d8474b0b85a8842.jpg

I'm also now halfway through constructing the plantation.

IMG_20240821_1306292.jpg.7e9a36705d076286c10f0a78a455e787.jpg

IMG_20240821_130646.jpg.95aedfb450e1395a63c67ca900a88b87.jpg

Looks like the Forestry Commission have been busy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, cliff park said:

Why wouldn't he be in Highland dress, the manufacturer is in Glasgow.

Yes, I take that point, but from the point of view of historical accuracy (this is after all a forum for railway modellers, many of whom are compulsive pedants, self included) if he has an Indian Army batman, he's surely an Indian Army officer, rather than a British Army officer of a highland regiment stationed in India?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

Seeing that Hollywood knowingly distorts historical facts, particularly in relation to the British empire and pretty much any other, I don't think we can blame a Glaswegian manufacturer of Ersatz coffee for dramatising their labels a little. 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

A couple of quick snaps taken from my friend's van of the floor of an established plantation, just for reference.

IMG_20240720_135042.jpg.eca61d667b903cb1a00caf006cdfe21c.jpg

IMG_20240720_135119.jpg.a1a7d18050b6f0deaa95ccaaab2e61db.jpg

The outside edges of a wood is almost always more overgrown and has a real mixture of plants.

IMG_20240720_135052.jpg.93d87fcae7dbf43ea3e28800529ebf0b.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

A couple of quick snaps taken from my friend's van of the floor of an established plantation, just for reference.

IMG_20240720_135042.jpg.eca61d667b903cb1a00caf006cdfe21c.jpg

IMG_20240720_135119.jpg.a1a7d18050b6f0deaa95ccaaab2e61db.jpg

The outside edges of a wood is almost always more overgrown and has a real mixture of plants.

IMG_20240720_135052.jpg.93d87fcae7dbf43ea3e28800529ebf0b.jpg

That's because when you walked in Forestry Commission plantations thirty to forty years ago they were very silent as they didn't support much wildlife. A decision was taken to no longer plant monocopic woods. This led to a greater variety of trees being planted.

Of course the original plantings were to supply timber for paper making and mines. As the latter have now all but disappeared the Forestry Commission has had to find a 'new' use for the woods. Hence the 'encouragement' to see them as places of leisure rather than of business.

It also occurred, as if, at the same time that tax breaks for that type of planting were stopped. Remember the scandal where certain politicians were investing in such plantations so as to claim the tax back.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2