Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this.

JI_1017_Tree_Identification_002-b509944.jpg.67de47a0603a97df206cd0cc169db4e7.jpg

Rob how are you intending to represent the needles- that's a technical term for the green stuff by the way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Rob how are you intending to represent the needles- that's a technical term for the green stuff by the way.

I'm glad someone asked the question.

Those hanging fronds are pretty unusual and even in 4mm are quite distinctive.

The advice given is to apply strong hairspray to the branches and apply long static grass.

The trick is that before the hairspray sets, take a hairdryer set on hot and blow the fibres downwards.

A cheap N nasty hairdryer is best for this.

I'll add some very fine turf mix (that Woodlands Scenics Fine scatter foam type ought to be about right) for the little seed cones and a dusting 2mm fibres on the crown of the tree.

Or I could:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1106481212/european-forest-larch-12-16-cm-51-4202?

Very nice indeed, but there's no way I'm spending half a grand on a dozen trees.

Never mind the Memsahib, I'd chase myself round the garden with a sword....

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think that @Re6/6 may have cracked the larch foliage question...

Any alternative method would be welcome before I commit to applying foliage.

Don't keep us in suspense!🤣

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The advice given is to apply strong hairspray to the branches and apply long static grass.

I would be inclined to use WWS or Peco (same thing) layering spray rather than hairspray the grip of which does deteriorate over time which I found to my cost!

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The trick is that before the hairspray sets, take a hairdryer set on hot and blow the fibres downwards.

I gleaned this method from a comercial manufacturer. 

32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I won't, but I'm not totally sure what his method is, so I was hoping @Re6/6 would see this and respond!

32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm afraid that I haven't perfected my method yet!  One could do no better than guidance from Gordon Gravett's conifer trees book.

This is a manufacturer's larch on Marsh Sidings..

MarshlarchA.jpg.4946ef552551ae42c9fc106c33364132.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

I would be inclined to use WWS or Peco (same thing) layering spray rather than hairspray the grip of which does deteriorate over time which I found to my cost!

Good point, Miss R said that the slightest amount of dampness in the air causes hairspray to degrade as it's designed to be washed out. Or if it rains, one's soft curls turn into Spaniel's ears...

I was going to add that I would be applying a mist of acrylic car  lacquer once the tree is complete, but as I have WWS layering spray in stock, I'll use that. Experience so far tells me that it's well worth the money.

7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

I gleaned this method from a comercial manufacturer. 

I'm afraid that I haven't perfected my method yet!  One could do no better than guidance from Gordon Gravett's conifer trees book.

Well, I'll share the results on here and maybe we'll all develop a method to make them. I'm working straight out of Gordon's book, first attempt at conifers, so I'm just working through the steps.

7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

This is a manufacturer's larch on Marsh Sidings..

MarshlarchA.jpg.4946ef552551ae42c9fc106c33364132.jpg

If I can get mine to look that good, then I've swam the Pacific!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Here's a superb site to trawl though (all 110+ pages of it!) The quality of the work is just top notch. After a lot of digging, there are some very useful 'how to' posts. Look out for one Dutch guy 'Grove Den'. His work is amazing. Google Translate will work well.

https://www.stummiforum.de/t18449f64-Baumbau-und-Str-ucher-105.html

TreesLarch.jpg.b49ec8199c535e88d101487d0852664d.jpg

TreesLarch.GroveDen.jpg.d788e8f56e0685120f3ae104bb788daa.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
Picture added
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

Am beeindruckendsten!

Or in English:

Wow!

Thanks for finding and posting. 

Might have to pull up the tracks and make more room for trees...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hmmm I think lowering ones sights might be being called for say Windermere as you could get the bus there.

Did you just say.... BUS .....?

dekeskui-dekeskoui(0).gif.1c43d2b3ae2d3d7ffca7d23d3b011876.gif

As for Windermere, £5 on the bike, £15 on the B*s.

Rowed across it, (hard work but fun), swam in it, (cold and just plain stupid).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/08/2024 at 22:09, MrWolf said:

Good point, Miss R said that the slightest amount of dampness in the air causes hairspray to degrade as it's designed to be washed out. Or if it rains, one's soft curls turn into Spaniel's ears...

I was going to add that I would be applying a mist of acrylic car  lacquer once the tree is complete, but as I have WWS layering spray in stock, I'll use that. Experience so far tells me that it's well worth the money.

You might also try misting on scenic cement such as Woodland Scenics. When it first goes on you'll have a "what have I done" moment as there are loads of white  blobs but it dries clear and matt. There seem to be many variants on a theme for tree making. Even Gordon Gravett's book suggests more than one so use what works for you.

Alex

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks Alex, I'll have a look at that, it sounds like the first time I varnished one of my paintings, the whole surface went milky, but the end result was really an improvement.

I think that because they've been around for decades we often forget that Woodland Scenics materials were quite revolutionary, before that it was dyed sawdust and felt raked out of old car seats if you wanted to create realistic greenery.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

I never cease to be amazed at people's ability to cut out rusted steel and weld in a purpose made replacement to get back to near original. The engineering guys on the NNR where I volunteer have cut a wasted section out of the bottom of the boiler of our Austerity 2-10-0 and fabricated and fitted replacement steel sections. 

Brilliant skill, patience and ingenuity by all concerned including Mr W. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1