Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not at all, I'm not certain how to search within a topic though, perhaps it's not a feature of the mobile friendly version? 

My mobile won't open the DocX, just to annoy me...😄

I have put another post on with the links directly on it.  They all appear to work for me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2023 at 13:30, MrWolf said:

The problem with clicking carelessly on these pages is that it often leads to temptation:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/dia-e140-b-set-gwr-shirtbutton-livery/

These I have no doubt will be far superior to the last RTR offering, (Something that gets slated for its inaccuracies, but let's not forget it was forty five years ago and they were like something from another planet at the time.) I have had a good look at the unpainted prototype pictures and I'm sure that they will sell out.

That said, I have several mint Airfix versions I couldn't sell and I can't really justify / afford the asking price, particularly as the Memsahib's current job is possibly as much learning as it is earning.

About a thousand years ago it seems, I did take a marquetry chisel to all those fictional door handle surrounds, block off a window IIRC and add some underframe details to a pair of B sets.

I think that there was a how to article in one of the monthly comics, but I'm not 100% certain. 

Hattons have them at £144 - but even at that price point, it’s an expensive purchase….

Thankfully at Henley, the carriages were not used.

Although I have 6 Airfix / Hornby ones….. I need more Toplights and accurate Clerestory carriages, I reckon the latter will be coming from Worsley works at @£45 which I think by comparison is very good value.

Once I have more prototypical variety, then the Airfix ones can be PX for something. Although I see Hattons are selling the Airfix Centenary carriages between £7 and £12 so the B sets, don’t have much value…..

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Although I see Hattons are selling the Airfix Centenary carriages between £7 and £12 so the B sets, don’t have much value…..

I'm not so sure about that. the Centenaries are a drug on the market - they're practically useless as is, with only van third and composite. Whereas it seems anybody modelling a GWR west country BLT needs a B set or two.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not so sure about that. the Centenaries are a drug on the market - they're practically useless as is, with only van third and composite. Whereas it seems anybody modelling a GWR west country BLT needs a B set or two.

It was the closest comparison I could find in a quick search this morning!

At the time the Centenaries were a nice choice, but also an odd choice to go for! Ho Hum, it's given me the basis of a train 😎

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

It was the closest comparison I could find in a quick search this morning!

Perhaps a comparison with the Airfix LMS lavatory non-corridor carriages would be closer. Those seem to be around £24 the pair (and operationally, a pair is the thing - much the same usage as a B set especially in the west - an S&DJR classic, with a Southern PMV on the rear). I was interested therefore to see the going rate for an Airfix B-set pair is a bit less - around £22.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

The Airfix Centenaries are a funny thing. Lots of coaches out there, very few brake coaches. There is a market for them for conversion, I sold one sans bogies and corridor connection for £8. But it's a niche market. 

B sets did sell steadily, at around £10-12 apiece until the word got out that  a completely new model would soon be available.

I had a mint boxed pair with different numbers with a starting bid of £12 on eBay for three months and not a sniff. 

Rather than giving them away I put them aside whilst I figured out how to upgrade them, as I knew that I wouldn't be affording the latest offering.

It's been the same story with the old Mainline Siphon H that used to regularly get bid up to £25, now you can't give them away. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

B sets did sell steadily, at around £10-12 apiece until the word got out that  a completely new model would soon be available.

I had a mint boxed pair with different numbers with a starting bid of £12 on eBay for three months and not a sniff. 

Rather than giving them away I put them aside whilst I figured out how to upgrade them, as I knew that I wouldn't be affording the latest offering.

It's been the same story with the old Mainline Siphon H that used to regularly get bid up to £25, now you can't give them away. 

That indicates that, despite the moaning one sees in certain areas of RMWeb, there are plenty of people willing to pay the prices being asked for the new models, with the bonus that for those on a budget, prices of the older models will be further depressed. (Not so good if your aim is to sell, of course.)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That indicates that, despite the moaning one sees in certain areas of RMWeb, there are plenty of people willing to pay the prices being asked for the new models, with the bonus that for those on a budget, prices of the older models will be further depressed. (Not so good if your aim is to sell, of course.)

Although I have mostly antediluvian coaching stock (Both intended and unintended) I thought it would be rather a good thing to have a variety of stock on the layout, the excuse being it's 1938 and new stock being introduced.

If I had the necessary disposable income, I'd be willing to buy a pair of new B sets, it's just a matter of can't afford it.

I don't see the point of moaning about the price of models, it won't change anything.

I can understand people moaning about the cost of essentials, or being ripped off for motor insurance, that's fair enough.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Unfortunately moaning is very easy and doesn't require much effort I'm afraid Rob. Plus in this day an age everyone is entitled to express their opinion no matter what it is or what impact it has.

Sorry to go off thread.

Re the cost of B sets that I'm afraid reflects what the suppliers think we should pay and not what they cost.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I think there's a chapter (or part thereof) in the Scalefour Society "St Merryn" book about upgrading the Airfix/Hornby B-Sets to something more prototypical, certainly a description of it.  

https://www.scalefour.org/publications/stmerryn

Edited by Tim Dubya
Linkage/codeine
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks Tim, those are really useful links and a copy of the book has been ordered,

( I'll get away with it as the Memsahib often says that you can never have enough books - though this may relate only to her books .)

Speaking of whom, my vague plan for Stafford at the weekend may be scuppered if I don't have the necessary spares in my stash as I got a call from Miss R about 9am to tell me that the brakes have gone on her car.

Apparently all was well until pulling into the car park at work and the pedal went to the floor. She was very pleased to tell me that she'd sailed across the car park, missed everything and stopped it on the handbrake.

Not the least bit shaken, doubtless due to her "Wheeeeeee!!" approach to crashing...

I'll be digging out the parts stash in the Profanium tonight no doubt.

german-heavy-transport-trailer-2.jpg.c103c5b17962b13a10744dcfd464597a.jpg

Miss Riding Hood 's safe and sensible little motor being collected by the AA...

Back on the railway, I've had a look at what bits I can buy from MJT et al and also found some better wheels in my stash. Those plastic wheels I always thought were the worst thing about Airfix coaches that contributed nicely to the infamous wobble over points. 

A 5 thou mica washer and a little electrical grease twixt bogiie pivot and bearer should sort out the rest.

I'll dig out my GWR coaches volume two later.

Elsewhere, I have been busy making rooves for the rest of the mutant Tri-ang clerestories. Pictures tonight.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks Tim, those are really useful links and a copy of the book has been ordered,

( I'll get away with it as the Memsahib often says that you can never have enough books - though this may relate only to her books .)

Speaking of whom, my vague plan for Stafford at the weekend may be scuppered if I don't have the necessary spares in my stash as I got a call from Miss R about 9am to tell me that the brakes have gone on her car.

Apparently all was well until pulling into the car park at work and the pedal went to the floor. She was very pleased to tell me that she'd sailed across the car park, missed everything and stopped it on the handbrake.

Not the least bit shaken, doubtless due to her "Wheeeeeee!!" approach to crashing...

I'll be digging out the parts stash in the Profanium tonight no doubt.

Back on the railway, I've had a look at what bits I can buy from MJT et al and also found some better wheels in my stash. Those plastic wheels I always thought were the worst thing about Airfix coaches that contributed nicely to the infamous wobble over points. 

A 5 thou mica washer and a little electrical grease twixt bogiie pivot and bearer should sort out the rest.

I'll dig out my GWR coaches volume two later.

Elsewhere, I have been busy making rooves for the rest of the mutant Tri-ang clerestories. Pictures tonight.

Oh mucky pictures. I can't wait.

Hope you'll include the usual disclaimer before you publish them Rob. Don't want to scare the old, innocent and Z Generation and everything.

• Funny 6

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

-

The Memsahib frequently questions my need to buy more books.

To which my reply is "If I die first, you can sell all my books and have a couple of good holidays out of them"

Her reply "What if I die first?"

Me "I get to keep all my books"

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Intresting big of kit, what actually is it... or is that just the steering rear boige, as forward vision is restricted by said shopping car...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Intresting big of kit, what actually is it... or is that just the steering rear boige, as forward vision is restricted by said shopping car...

35 ton heavy transport trailer by WaggonMaschinenFabrik, Bautzen Germany, I haven't read the full article, but it looks like it was captured in North Africa around 1942.

https://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt09/german-heavy-transport-trailer.html

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yeh there is a driver in the back of the trailer driving the rear wheels so it can go around corners easier.

It's a really good bit of kit as most of Germanys military vehicles were. Yes there were a few lemons but on the whole the Allies were playing catch up right up until the end of the war. The Germans got a bit of a nasty shock when they came up against the T34 and the KV1 but they answered them with the Panther and the Tiger and the Panther is considered to be the best tank of WWII the only issue was that they over engineered both of them. In actual fact the best AFV of WWII was the Hetzer but it's a tank destroyer not really a tank. It was based on the 38T chassis the T stands for Czech. I believe that Bruce Crompton has one of those trailers.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

He does, or did have one, IIRC brought back from the former GDR where it had been used for timber haulage after the war.

They could easily shift the Panzer I-IV and assorted Stug, Hetzer, Marder assault guns or tank destroyers. 

They were towed by vehicles such as the Bussing 900 6x4 tractor, shown here with the lighter (Typ116?) trailer and two Panzer I, or one of the larger half tracks such as the 18ton FAMO / Krauss Maffei. French LATIL timber tractors were also built for military use during the occupation.

Bussing-NAG_900_2.jpg.2b0918d5826ec6fc3b34b1c6c5b854d0.jpg

Picture: worldwarphotos

The problem with the superior engineering of German military vehicles was that they were unable to mass produce them. 

Edited by MrWolf
Dumkopf autokorrekt
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I remember him buying it from Italy along with one of those big trucks you've shown above.

Either way you've gotta love Brucey, he sure keeps me entertained anyway. He recons that he's gonna be buried in his Hetzer.  

Regards Lez.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back on the home front, I've been busy doing some more cut and shut work with Tri-ang coach rooves.

D7.

IMG_20230923_013253.jpg.27f04b57a4ce272279708fab7c48be39.jpg

MSWJR brake.

IMG_20230923_013641.jpg.2049afe81426a8503080a2d2f739a959.jpg

Something vaguely Cambrian.

IMG_20230923_013341.jpg.8c521b8dec8a0228f755568afe36c152.jpg

D15.

IMG_20230923_013747.jpg.cbbe59e8824f19fcf4dc5639c455c73b.jpg

C10.

IMG_20230923_015235.jpg.534bf4f10c4551cedbb164f79504eabf.jpg

C19.

IMG_20230923_013220.jpg.a56ca5e5f3c9083623361c8104494688.jpg

Just a roof to create for the seven compartment C4 Third and the major hacking about is done.

Fascinating stuff Rob…. To get the 7 carriages, how many did you start with?

Is it feasible to slice off the grab handles and replace with an etch? 

Im thinking of doing a similar project to get some variety in my stock.

• Like 5

Hello Neal, generally you can make two carriages from two carriages .

The C10 is made up of two brake third passenger compartments. This leaves you with the necessary spares to make a 4 wheeled V5 PBV, which uses parts from a Ratio 4 wheeled coach for roof and underframe.

The C4 is made up the same way and gives you yet another V5 PBV, but I suspect that other diagrams can be found.

The "Something vaguely Cambrian" is one of the Tri-ang Composites with the roof modified as a three arc type. It will run on Ratio LNWR bogies.

The C19 is a pair of Composites and you do end up with three compartments left over from each. If I can figure out a way to make a six wheel chassis cheaply (Don't forget these are budget "close enough" models) there's quite a lot you can do with the leftovers. Even if you just make a grounded body as a shed, they're not scrap.

The D15 is one brake third cut and shut with the guard's lookout and door reversed on one side to place the lookout directly behind the passenger compartment.

The D7 uses parts from two brake thirds, but the spare passenger compartment is used on the MSWJR brake along with bits leftover from the the brake compartment.

So effectively you break up eight coaches and end up with eleven and a few bits left over.

I've not carved off the door handles, as if painted carefully and lightly weathered, they stand the three foot test. But I have removed the rails from the ends as they are easily seen from the sides, also the steps but have left the backplate with the rivets in place. These will be replaced by something a little bit more convincing 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5