Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

1 hour ago, LittleWesternModelRailway said:

The T3 Wagons look fantastic! Whole thing 3d printed and just sprung buffers, bearings, coupling and some wire added? Amazingly well detailed! Where do I get one :D 
(Spending far too much on looking for Rolling Stock rather than actually laying my trackwork :D )

They were originally something of an experiment, but Chris now has the print perfected. As you'll see from previous pages, we've been working on a number of obscure GWR wagons. They are also available in 3D printed form.

Drop a PM enquiry to @chuffinghell, tell him Mr Wolf sent you...😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Glad to hear news from Wolf Hall.

I hope your insurers made restoring your singed bike manageable and covered your labour cost!

Painting all those droplights must have tried your patience though it was a bit alarming seeing those coach bodies stacked as if they were at a car breakers yard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking like a Victorian version of Vic Berry's scrapyard at the moment this is another view of the Tri-ang coach projects.

IMG_20230820_154217.jpg.7d620ecb7a215e593c4cae3a0f8ea715.jpg

I've added partitioning from.030" plasticard and seating by Ratio. It's surprising how much of the stuff turns up secondhand at exhibitions, so I guess we're all guilty of having unfinished projects!

The coach on the very bottom of the stack is a C10 from the compartment ends of two brake thirds, (as discussed earlier on @Neal Ball's Henley on Thames thread, the brake ends of which ended up on a Ratio chassis as a V5 PBV. 

Both are here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/protriang.html

The coaches shown were modified by @nickwood of this parish. I've never met him, but he has been most helpful with rolling stock projects and his scenic work has provided inspiration for the station at Aston on Clun.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Looking like a Victorian version of Vic Berry's scrapyard at the moment this is another view of the Tri-ang coach projects.

IMG_20230820_154217.jpg.7d620ecb7a215e593c4cae3a0f8ea715.jpg

I've added partitioning from.030" plasticard and seating by Ratio. It's surprising how much of the stuff turns up secondhand at exhibitions, so I guess we're all guilty of having unfinished projects!

The coach on the very bottom of the stack is a C10 from the compartment ends of two brake thirds, (as discussed earlier on @Neal Ball's Henley on Thames thread, the brake ends of which ended up on a Ratio chassis as a V5 PBV. 

Both are here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/protriang.html

The coaches shown were modified by @nickwood of this parish. I've never met him, but he has been most helpful with rolling stock projects and his scenic work has provided inspiration for the station at Aston on Clun.

Wow! Hang on a second there Rob @MrWolf you’ve got 5 carriages there…. Details please! 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

For me Summer always seems like a point where modelling takes a back seat, then as we head towards September it’s time to take stock and start planning ahead. 
Looks like you’ve got plenty going on there Rob, and also good to hear progress on bringing the bike back to life. 

Jay

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll try to explain all in the morning, I'm out on a friend's 40th and it's all got a bit silly (who the hell has a pub crawl on a Sunday?) Fortunately a week off for the memsahib as she has already crashed and burned, although to give her credit, her high heels haven't given way yet. 

There's some strange bearded tranny DJ who hasn't heard of The Smiths despite playing an 80s night who has managed to incur her wrath. 

Things may get interesting....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, GWR57xx said:

Definitely not them,  they were a different band altogether …

A band apart indeed. 

When we first met, Miss R and I were walking up Morecambe beach bawling "Hand in glove" at the top of our voices before retiring to the Midland hotel for cocktails. 

We got strange looks off people, but if the people stare then the people stare.... (And the sun shines out of our behinds....)

• Like 5

Well, despite being a size eight on a bad day the Memsahib has managed to hog around twenty eight square feet of bed and I'm too far into blurred vision for any late night railway modelling, so I'm going to have to do a Spike Milligan und sleep in ze shape of ze swastika on the top left corner of ze bed....

Bah humbug.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well, despite being a size eight on a bad day the Memsahib has managed to hog around twenty eight square feet of bed and I'm too far into blurred vision for any late night railway modelling, so I'm going to have to do a Spike Milligan und sleep in ze shape of ze swastika on the top left corner of ze bed....

Bah humbug.

You could sleep on the floor (been there, done that....).

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Just now, St Enodoc said:

You could sleep on the floor (been there, done that....).

Yes, but I am in no sense in the doghouse, so not expected to sleep on the floor.Chivalry prevents me shoving, so I'll have to use stealth to obtain my share of mattress.

Anyone who has owned a dog bigger than a Border Collie will know how this works....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

20 hours ago, JustinDean said:

For me Summer always seems like a point where modelling takes a back seat, then as we head towards September it’s time to take stock and start planning ahead. 
Looks like you’ve got plenty going on there Rob, and also good to hear progress on bringing the bike back to life. 

Jay

Thanks Jay,

It's very much the same here and as much as I love building models I wouldn't miss the summer for anything, so we get out and about as much as possible.

There's an awful lot still to do at the layout, mostly small details, but the really big omissions in ascending order of me not looking forward to doing them are:

Trees

Telegraph poles

Signals

Wire fencing.

So I think that the first thing to do is make a simple jig, GWR wire fencing for the construction of.

The bike is by comparison a much simpler task, although blasting the cycle parts has revealed some old bodges that I had my suspicions about ever since I bought it.

Nothing that can't be sorted out with the right tools and a little task appropriate profanity.

• Friendly/supportive 8

5 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Wow, did you build that?

5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Yep 1 : 1 scale.🤣

I'd like to be able to say yes and that I knocked it together in a spare afternoon between adjusting the clutch on a Vincent and showing the memsahib how to make a proper Lahori chicken....

But no.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Hotel,_Morecambe

Edited by MrWolf
Added link.
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1