Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Annie said:

I can remember being told that these Midland & South Western Junction Railway brake vans were essentially a LSWR design.

The instructions to this kit http://bitly.ws/RNdI say, "In Southern Railways Wagons Vol.1 it is proposed that the LSWR had lent the M&SWR the drawings".  Elsewhere, that I cannot now find the reference to, I read that provision of the plans may have involved payment of a leasing or licencing fee.

Michael Barnsley, writing on the GWR website http://www.gwr.org.uk/nomswjr1.html states: "M&SWJR goods brake vans Nos.12 – 23 were very similar to LSWR road vans, but with a central pillar veranda support (which carried the central tail lamp) and full arc roof strips instead of the LSWR 'eyebrow' style."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 25/08/2023 at 23:12, lezz01 said:

They probably tried to ignore it rather than forget it due to the fact that it had the word Midland in it's title.

Regards Lez. 

I was actually talking about obscure castoffs for the line that Swindon forgot, the erstwhile Clun Valley Railway. 

On 26/08/2023 at 08:42, Compound2632 said:

And came to them with money owing to the Midland / LMS.

In the interests of balance and impartiality, have to point out it also had "South Western" in its title.

You can bet that any debts were swiftly disappeared by some clever accounting, this wasn't some aggressive corporate takeover, but as you know, a government approved semi nationalisation, enthusiastically supported by the Lloyd George government and by the Labour party, who a hundred years ago actually had the best interests of the workers at heart.

Although the Midland almost kept it's name, buried in the middle of LMS, and the North Eastern, ditto, LNER you have to wonder what the loyal workers of the small companies all over the British isles made of the imposed changes. 

Perhaps they were just glad to still have a job in the 20s as staffing numbers shrank and stations closed? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

The instructions to this kit http://bitly.ws/RNdI say, "In Southern Railways Wagons Vol.1 it is proposed that the LSWR had lent the M&SWR the drawings".  Elsewhere, that I cannot now find the reference to, I read that provision of the plans may have involved payment of a leasing or licencing fee.

Michael Barnsley, writing on the GWR website http://www.gwr.org.uk/nomswjr1.html states: "M&SWJR goods brake vans Nos.12 – 23 were very similar to LSWR road vans, but with a central pillar veranda support (which carried the central tail lamp) and full arc roof strips instead of the LSWR 'eyebrow' style."

Thanks for the information contained in your post Pete, I now have a verified running number for the last survivor.

That is the print I had originally planned on using, but as you had mentioned the existence of the Kernow product, I found it more cost effective both financially and time wise to go down that route.

It can be converted along with the Oxford Toads as a batch job.

All I need to do now is get Miss R to dismantle it.

Any hidden fastenings that we should be aware of? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

If you’re referring to the Oxford Toads, just be sure to remove the whole buffer assembly….

IMG_9448.jpeg.43c07cb456ab471e8830b6cdf2695e08.jpeg

….as they hold the body onto the chassis

IMG_9446.jpeg.f03f12b4e33a2a7a00fb3d321efa9d63.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting - the same as the Oxford GW brakes. There's evidently a rogue dentist out there designing RTR brake vans.

EDIT: Bother. Just realised @chuffinghell's post is about the Oxford vans. Sorry. 

It’s my fault for miss-reading Robs post and causing the confusion so if anyone should apologise it’s me….sorry about that

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks for the information contained in your post Pete, I now have a verified running number for the last survivor.

All I need to do now is get Miss R to dismantle it.

The number I've gone with is 56788 .

Not having a demon deconstructor available, I studied the Kernow brake van and decided to apply the idea of risk and reward - and modified it whilst still in one piece. Painting the inside of the veranda was probably the most awkward part.

Recently I was looking at Cambrian Railways Album - 2 by C. C. Green (Ian Allan, Shepperton 1981)  - particularly page 64 and the Ifor Higgon picture of the ex Helston Branch outside-framed GW road van. Despite the caption, even after trying to minimise the halftone, I cannot see any evidence to suggest that the side doors were sliding doors.  I mention this as you have previously mentioned building one of these. As his images are within copyright to at least 2042 and possibly longer, I've not copied it here.

I noticed on page 56 of the same book, a picture of a GW,  ex Port Talbot Railway, brake van that appears to be a LNWR D17 6 wheel brake van with a small window in the central side panel. I'm not after a brass kit but if anyone could guide me towards a RTR or a cast resin or 3D print version (4mm), I'd be grateful.

Pete

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There was, but unfortunately I can't recall who, a member who posted on here that had built an outside frame road van using a D&S AA16  as a basis. It definitely had hinged doors as per the Mink "A", but I recall that they had to be fabricated to suit the relatively low sides of the AA16. 

Something similar to the old Cooper Craft Low Mink I would think.

I'd (wrongly!) assumed that you had dismantled the LSWR brake van. 

I'll give the van and a few tools to Miss Riding Hood and let the little voices in her head take over....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'll give the van and a few tools to Miss Riding Hood and let the little voices in her head take over....

It is my understanding that that was how they built the first atomic bomb.

May I suggest that for the purposes of National Security and the fact that last thing we need is Miss R armed with a nuclear device, you don't leave any fissile material or for that matter TNT lying around.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

It is my understanding that that was how they built the first atomic bomb.

May I suggest that for the purposes of National Security and the fact that last thing we need is Miss R armed with a nuclear device, you don't leave any fissile material or for that matter TNT lying around.

No need to panic and take up residence under your dining table old chap, the only thing that she's blown up recently is the microwave...😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

No need to panic and take up residence under your dining table old chap, the only thing that she's blown up recently is the microwave...😉

Ok then I make a start on putting the lounge and dinning room doors back on there hinges. Argh I've just thought of something that may mean I need to start digging a big 'hole' in the back garden instead. When you say blew up the microwave it wasn't a Michael Caine job was it? You know where he says, assuming an east end accent, your just meant to blow off the bloody doors, as the van disintegrates into several hundred/thousand pieces. Is the kitchen in one piece or more to the fact the roof still on the house?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2023 at 19:22, The Stationmaster said:

Toomers were more than just Henley as they had retail coal businesses in Wokingham, Twyford. Marlow,  Basingstoke, Fleet and Overton.    Their head office was in Reading and I think they were in the coal factor business as well.  I can't confirm it but they might also have dealt with retail coal in Reading

I am sure you are right about Toomers  the name was very familiar to me. What I cannot remember is whose name was on the coal wagon I used to see at the pub in Queens road Caversham. I remember the horse though.

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2023 at 03:00, MrWolf said:

Yes, but I am in no sense in the doghouse, so not expected to sleep on the floor.Chivalry prevents me shoving, so I'll have to use stealth to obtain my share of mattress.

Anyone who has owned a dog bigger than a Border Collie will know how this works....

We now have a small dog less than 4kg it is surprising how much pressure he can apply to your back to create extra room.

• Funny 1

15 hours ago, Donw said:

We now have a small dog less than 4kg it is surprising how much pressure he can apply to your back to create extra room.

Small dogs are worse for that, the big ones are fortunately more likely to find their own spot to sleep, usually on the dog shelf.

Thanks for the substantially better photos Mike and sorry for getting your name wrong, I'd be useless with name dropping at upmarket gatherings!

Also thanks for the invite to Pontefract! All I will say is that there's a reason for the buffer stops on Aston being made of metal and secured with epoxy resin!

So what else have I been up to? 

Well, @Compound2632 posted that he had accidentally created a seven compartment third out of Tri-ang clerestory brake thirds due to a "computational error". (Eloquently put if I may say so.) 

I had a couple more rough old coaches, so I decided to make a seven compartment third to diagram C4.

(Pages 67-68, A Pictorial Record of Great Western Coaches Part 1 (1838-1913) J.H.Russell.)

Rough? But VERY firmly glued in "seats". I had to rip them out with pliers.

IMG_20230829_013943.jpg.4b0503be1ae6b5c13d6c5deee6f17340.jpg

Sawn off, draw filed and ready for assembly

IMG_20230830_135056.jpg.3840e37f5e762b1b5147bf254077917a.jpg

Bogie rivet heads drilled off, bodies glued squarely together and reinforced with a piece of.030" styrene that also covers the holes left by the Triang gas cylinder / truss assembly.

IMG_20230830_221532.jpg.0f5035a46b952a1307d60b7bd7f287b7.jpg

I've been sawing up lots and lots and lots and lots of Ratio coach seating, well maybe not that much, but it's tedious, especially when I have an almost equal number of partitions to cut, but it will stop me from being able to see right through the coach.

Once I have the rooves made and the bodies painted, I might just take @Winslow Boy's advice and finish off the six ton crane which has also been languishing, before we have to install rubber wallpaper...

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Like 16

Cruel close up. (Has this furry fool no shame?) But it is level, honest!

A little filler will hide the joint.

Possibly....

IMG_20230830_231440.jpg.3d5e0e4cb1aa34e5bba620e4570e7acd.jpg

One thing I have found when bodging these old coaches together is that there are discrepancies, caused perhaps by age, differing materials or cooling when released from the mould. It's only a few thou, but can be frustrating.

As with many things model railway, compromise is the answer. Once painted, it's not noticeable.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Plus some more of The Warren. Which I was taken with too. I could so something NC&DJR with that, on the light railway between Torrington and Halwill Junction.

IMG20230828150245.jpg.e9d96dbfc48d698b2b9359c340ffa436.jpg

IMG20230828150259.jpg.8b682cdf5deda26ca99f4c62ceaac81e.jpg

IMG20230828150252.jpg.bb2d8e539f0106cfc936a453afc5d5a9.jpg

Why stick the stand number on the front like that?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Why stick the stand number on the front like that?

Morning John, 

It's far from ideal, probably best described as ugly isn't it ? 

However, to a certain extent, I can understand it, though would never do so myself. 

I've previously discreetly displayed the stand number at shows only to have visitors ask what number it is, despite a whacking great name board practically at visitor eye level.........

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning John, 

It's far from ideal, probably best described as ugly isn't it ? 

However, to a certain extent, I can understand it, though would never do so myself. 

I've previously discreetly displayed the stand number at shows only to have visitors ask what number it is, despite a whacking great name board practically at visitor eye level.........

Rob. 

I know it's got to go somewhere but in that instance I think I'd have placed it higher up, on the wooden facia. Anyway, it's not my layout and I wasn't there, so really it's got nowt to do wi' me.

• Agree 1