Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

This engineer might have thought about a longitudinal spine too - just to be sure, to be sure.

The curvature of the roof and the division into cells has worked fine, good enough for ships etc. 

One thing that we did find is if you put too much material in it cures at a different rate, which can also cause distortion, it only needs enough to make it behave, more creates other problems.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The curvature of the roof and the division into cells has worked fine, good enough for ships etc. 

One thing that we did find is if you put too much material in it cures at a different rate, which can also cause distortion, it only needs enough to make it behave, more creates other problems.

Fair enough! When I posted I was actually thinking of a ship (inverted) with its keel and ribs.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 57xx said:

They do do ends, a couple of roof profiles, but not the most useful LE7N and I've not seen any floors from them though. I use Mainly Trains chassis for that.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire.php#OOGaugeEtchedSidestoConvertRatioCoaches

The LE7N ends are normally available, but they are now out of stock, since I bought the last one at Railwells.

• Informative/Useful 4

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Fair enough! When I posted I was actually thinking of a ship (inverted) with its keel and ribs.

It will be fine as long as we don't start flooding compartments...😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I remember actually going to the factory in Buckfastleigh (several times, in fact, they had (?have?) a decent selection of stuff on sale there, including RTR from other manufacturers like Hornby) and asking if I could buy some parts from one of their kits (a curved 'barn' type corrugated roof), which at the time they were happy to sell me (and even allowed me into the factory floor area). When I tried the same thing a few years later, the policy had changed and it wasn't possible any more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire.php#OOGaugeEtchedSidestoConvertRatioCoaches

The LE7N ends are normally available, but they are now out of stock, since I bought the last one at Railwells.

There is no LE7N roof to go with the ends, never said there were no ends of that profile. 😊

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I remember actually going to the factory in Buckfastleigh (several times, in fact, they had (?have?) a decent selection of stuff on sale there, including RTR from other manufacturers like Hornby) and asking if I could buy some parts from one of their kits (a curved 'barn' type corrugated roof), which at the time they were happy to sell me (and even allowed me into the factory floor area). When I tried the same thing a few years later, the policy had changed and it wasn't possible any more.

When I worked the exhibition stand for Roger we always sold more kit parts than actual kits. The curved corrugated roof was a new addition back then and was very popular as punters wanted them for Nissan huts.

Regards Lez.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

When I worked the exhibition stand for Roger we always sold more kit parts than actual kits. The curved corrugated roof was a new addition back then and was very popular as punters wanted them for Nissan huts.

Regards Lez.

That doesn't surprise me at all. There's several kits involved in the construction of Aston on Clun, not that there's much left of any of them. 

The department of pedantry wishes to point out that it's a NissEn hut. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_hut

NissAn make reliable and not exactly inspiring motor cars (IMHO) but the older ones come with a reversible screwdriver in the toolkit which is the most useful thing ever.

In the days when you could walk around breaker's yards and pick bits off, a Nissan Motor screwdriver was the weapon of choice.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That doesn't surprise me at all. There's several kits involved in the construction of Aston on Clun, not that there's much left of any of them. 

The department of pedantry wishes to point out that it's a NissEn hut. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_hut

NissAn make reliable and not exactly inspiring motor cars (IMHO) but the older ones come with a reversible screwdriver in the toolkit which is the most useful thing ever.

In the days when you could walk around breaker's yards and pick bits off, a Nissan Motor screwdriver was the weapon of choice.

So what do you call it if you adapt a semicircular wartime corrugated building to house a reliable but uninspiring Japanese motor car?

(rather stupidly I forgot to retrieve the useful screwdriver when Mrs C's old Micra went for scrap...)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

So what do you call it if you adapt a semicircular wartime corrugated building to house a reliable but uninspiring Japanese motor car?

A Nissan Nissen?

2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

(rather stupidly I forgot to retrieve the useful screwdriver when Mrs C's old Micra went for scrap...)

I keep one in each of the bike toolboxes, very handy for tightening the bits that vibrate loose. 

Brake levers, light lenses, horn pushes... teeth....

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Aren't all screwdrivers reversible? Righty tighty, lefty loosey 😁

Oh you mean the one with a phirrips on one end of a shaft and flat blade the other, slotting into a handle? That must be a Japanese thing, as all my bikes have had them in the toolkits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Oh you mean the one with a phirrips on one end of a shaft and flat blade the other, slotting into a handle? That must be a Japanese thing, as all my bikes have had them in the toolkits.

It certainly seems to be, I have a couple of others marked "S" for Suzuki and "HM" for Honda Motor. Usually reversible screwdrivers are cheap gimmicks ( Snap Off Tools...) but even the plastic handles on these are made of seriously strong stuff.

Not sure if Phirrips or Posi Dlive though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

This engineer might have thought about a longitudinal spine too - just to be sure, to be sure.

He did and I also tried a diagonal/diamond bracing structure but that actually made it far worse because more supports were required hold the additional ribs which increased the stress (peel forces) on the print

Its difficult to explain but many variations were tested until a satisfactory compromise was found

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Depends if it’s a left or right handed screwdriver!

I’ll see if I have one in the shed. I think I put them near a box of spirit level bubbles just behind the tartan paint hung on a sky hook

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

He did and I also tried a diagonal/diamond bracing structure but that actually made it far worse because more supports were required hold the additional ribs which increased the stress (peel forces) on the print

Its difficult to explain but many variations were tested until a satisfactory compromise was found

That's what I told 'im .

18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

it only needs enough to make it behave, more creates other problems.

Sometimes, less is more.

It probably takes longer to work out the best way to construct and print these wagons than it does to draw them up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Sometimes, less is more.

Pannier tanks are an exception

Sometimes, less is more.

Ones monthly salary would also be an exception 

It probably takes longer to work out the best way to construct and print these wagons than it does to draw them up.

Spot on!

The actual drawing is easy. The difficult and most time consuming bit is adding the support structure for printing

Another difficult part is ensuring parts are thick enough to retain their strength but still look acceptable scaled down

There is also an element of compromise, luck and the use of dark magic

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It certainly seems to be, I have a couple of others marked "S" for Suzuki and "HM" for Honda Motor. Usually reversible screwdrivers are cheap gimmicks ( Snap Off Tools...) but even the plastic handles on these are made of seriously strong stuff.

Not sure if Phirrips or Posi Dlive though.

I would wager neither, the crossheads on Jap bikes are usually JIS. But doesn't work with the joke. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I would wager neither, the crossheads on Jap bikes are usually JIS. But doesn't work with the joke. 

Indeed they are, but the screwdriver manages to deal with all types of "cross heads" with impunity. The flat end has dozens of uses too. 

I rather like Japanese bikes, I just wish they'd stop putting the gear lever on the wrong side and assuming that all white men are eight feet tall...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

More obscure castoffs for the line that Swindon forgot!

IMG_20230825_222230.jpg.dfbdd63359c1879ca34095e089f54bd9.jpg

They probably tried to ignore it rather than forget it due to the fact that it had the word Midland in it's title.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

They probably tried to ignore it rather than forget it due to the fact that it had the word Midland in it's title.

And came to them with money owing to the Midland / LMS.

In the interests of balance and impartiality, have to point out it also had "South Western" in its title.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back on the layout, I have just scored this little beauty from The Bay of Fleas at a decent price. 

@Pete Haitch pointed me in the direction of this delightful Kernow model on the Midland & South Western Junction Railway thread. 

Some small modifications to the verandah supports and a coat of grey paint and it becomes a GWR ex MSWJR Toad.

I was originally going to buy a currently available 3d print for the body and fabricate a chassis, but this is much easier!

IMG_20230825_222230.jpg.dfbdd63359c1879ca34095e089f54bd9.jpg

Like buses, you wait for one GW road van on your layout. and then...

roadie vans.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was originally going to buy a currently available 3d print for the body and fabricate a chassis, but this is much easier!

I can remember being told that these Midland & South Western Junction Railway brake vans were essentially a LSWR design.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2