Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Well there's equality at work, normally it goes like this (fortunately not in this house)

Him: Why have you bought more shoes?

Her: They were a bargain.

Him: How? They cost three hundred!

Her: They were half price!

We have a deal. I don't ask how much Veronica spends on shoes and bags, and she doesn't ask how much I spend on trains.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Surely that's a saving of three hundred though?  🥸

I see that you are one of those "new men" who is well and truly in touch with his feminine side...😆

I tried that once, I made it sore.

I can't imagine that you are one of those blokes who keeps announcing that he is a feminist, nobody is fooled by that attempt to ingratiate oneself, least of all, women. 

You wouldn't be on here for starters.

I think that Miss R has the balance right, unless she's at the gym or on a motorcycle, she likes to dress up like an Italian girl on a Sunday afternoon, but she's equally happy clearing out some long forgotten garage or dismantling an engine and doesn't feel the need to shout about it. 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

We have a deal. I don't ask how much Veronica spends on shoes and bags, and she doesn't ask how much I spend on trains.

We have a similar deal.  I spend my money on trains, she spends my money on bags (it's officially disguised as 'our' money but I know where it comes from and she does really sometimes spend her money.  So that's sorted, I think).

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There speaks the voice of experience costly divorce....

Two, actually.  And the second one was a lawyer...

30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Tip for cut flowers, don't put them in water, snip off an inch from the cut stalks and use cheap lemonade, the sugar and CO2 more than doubles the life.

Good grief!  Not only do you want me to spend money on flowers, but now to also waste perfectly good lemonade as well!!!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Well, in a rare moment of good fortune, the arrival of the delivery from Rapido corresponded with the Memsahib popping out..........sadly, that was not the "potentially expensive" item............

R

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Tip for cut flowers, don't put them in water, snip off an inch from the cut stalks and use cheap lemonade, the sugar and CO2 more than doubles the life.

Another tip - buy them from the Co-op. No idea what they do to them, but they seem to last way longer than those from any florist.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

We have a similar deal.  I spend my money on trains, she spends my money on bags (it's officially disguised as 'our' money but I know where it comes from and she does really sometimes spend her money.  So that's sorted, I think).

The memsahib spent her money on a motorbike, which I suppose you could blame me for, so I paid for lessons, clothes, shopping and everything else...

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Two, actually.  And the second one was a lawyer...

You could be forgiven for the first one...

My first wife's idea of marriage was to ignore me and spend my money while I was at home and party (exactly) like she was single and spend my money whilst I was away.

She still ended up with house, furniture, sports car etc.

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Good grief!  Not only do you want me to spend money on flowers, but now to also waste perfectly good lemonade as well!!!

We may be getting to the bottom of why you ended up twice divorced here...

Besides, cheap lemonade isn't even good, never mind perfectly good.

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, in a rare moment of good fortune, the arrival of the delivery from Rapido corresponded with the Memsahib popping out..........sadly, that was not the "potentially expensive" item............

R

Dodged the farmer with the can of pink dye again then? 

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

Another tip - buy them from the Co-op. No idea what they do to them, but they seem to last way longer than those from any florist.

I thought you were going to say take a walk around the cemetery, about teatime for the best selection...

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

I have also had a spend, a whole £6!!!

At which price, this book is a no brainer and it arrived this afternoon.

IMG_20221027_174305.jpg.54ac510f2280dde9a564ca4aa598188d.jpg

I'm not sure if these are photos of the real railway, or some IKEA based piece of sheepery.

If it isn't, it should be!

IMG_20221027_174315.jpg.a09d4ce088f0deb015fed8844cff0a03.jpg

Anyway, I don't consider it a frivolous purchase, everyone with even half a brain knows that filling your mind from books is most important...

ba574a8b31b38a86b791ffcdbdf6750d.jpg.1f7694d8d2fa563d92e401f36c246502.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I have also had a spend, a whole £6!!!

At which price, this book is a no brainer and it arrived this afternoon.

IMG_20221027_174305.jpg.54ac510f2280dde9a564ca4aa598188d.jpg

I'm not sure if these are photos of the real railway, or some IKEA based piece of sheepery.

If it isn't, it should be!

IMG_20221027_174315.jpg.a09d4ce088f0deb015fed8844cff0a03.jpg

Anyway, I don't consider it a frivolous purchase, everyone with even half a brain knows that filling your mind from books is most important...

ba574a8b31b38a86b791ffcdbdf6750d.jpg.1f7694d8d2fa563d92e401f36c246502.jpg

To be fair, an equally pleasant view from the rear as well as from the front with a nice bit of undergrowth poking through. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

See, I never noticed that, but I did notice that the colour of her lipstick matches her suspenders.....

"Supportive" seemed an appropriate response.

Nice work on turning that Dapol wagon round. That RCH steel underframe seems to be one of Cambrian's better efforts in the underframe department. Don't forget to put the little collars on the ends of the buffer guides, whatever buffers you actually end up using. 51L / Wizard do the 13" buffer heads but they keep being out of stock; an alternative would be to get complete RCH buffers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

That's a postcard album, though. 

3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Funny, I didn’t notice she was wearing spectacles, but I would have in the 60’s

Funny, I didn't notice the book.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

If you or anyone else has any of the old Bachman / Hornby chassis you don't want I'd be happy to make a contribution for them, as I use these under my own wagons on Exhill Works

As long as they will take pinpoint axles...

• Like 2

I may well have some Hornby wagons to demolish before long, I don't throw much away, but I don't hoard things that I don't need either.

The Groby Granite wagon is just something of a personal connection, the livery is the only genuinely accurate part as most of the 470 odd iron framed wagons were built by Staplefords of Coalville or Claye's of Long Eaton or in house using parts sourced from half a dozen companies. They were routinely repaired or rebuilt at Groby Wharf by the company's own fitters and their pedigrees were soon lost.

Some went missing in the Midland Railway's system and the company was compensated after much wrangling for all of the wagons that the Midland "lost". 

Who knows, there might one day turn up a picture of a wagon lettered MR that looks like nothing from Derby, prototype for everything?

Edited by MrWolf
Correction
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I

9 hours ago, John Besley said:

If you or anyone else has any of the old Bachman / Hornby chassis you don't want I'd be happy to make a contribution for them, as I use these under my own wagons on Exhill Works

As long as they will take pinpoint axles...

I've a couple of old Hornby wagons, "Tudhope" and "Chance & Hunt" but there're vacuum fitted with clasp brakes!

• Funny 2