Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Thank you, much appreciated. I really must get on with a bit of modelmaking tonight! 

We got dragged off to make the numbers up for a quiz last night on the grounds that we're educated and well traveled blah blah. 

It was okay after two beers, but we were both thinking about what we could be doing at home...

Does that make us antisocial?

No railway or industrial history questions, though we nailed geography, ancient Greece, classical music and WWII.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wasn't a Spork some 1970s wonder invention that was going to change the face of cutlery, but never caught on?

THIS OFFER IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THE SHOPS!

(Because it's s*ite...)

Quite popular with us lightweight campers though. I've even got a Titanium one because well .... it's Titanium innit.

• Like 2

There was also the Splade, a similar device, which as you say, is probably still popular with campers.

Lightweight camping for me was army spoon/fork/knife clip, mess tins, a bivvy sheet, 18ft of parachute cord bundled together with my outdoor sleeping bag and tied on the bike, a toothbrush and a toilet roll flattened so it would fit in the toolbox. That was it apart from a trench lighter in my coat pocket.

Nowadays I have the perfect excuse, in that although the memsahib will ride to the ends of the earth on a seventy odd year old motorcycle, she does NOT do camping and certainly not in the woods or an abandoned railway building like I used to when walking old lines.

• Like 5

I have actually done a bit of modelling.

Well, hacking about some bits of secondhand RTR wagons.

Boards picked out in various browns and greys, edge protection strips in a base colour of dark rust and the Bachmann chassis modified for sprung 3 link couplings

IMG_20221025_212551.jpg.807f5bad4af880f651975ab549418ea5.jpg

The jury is still out on the Dapol chassis. I don't think that it should be a 10'0" wheelbase and the way those brake levers are moulded means that they are about a scale 9" thick.

If I can get at the box of doom without triggering an avalanche, I am going to size up a Cambrian 9ft WB chassis as they supplied with two different lengths of solebar. 

My reasoning being that it can't be any worse than the original...

• Like 11

It's going rather well, if I say so myself, I even found and reattached the bit of end stanchion I snapped off and dropped into the maw of the carpet monster.

I was just about to dig out the chassis kits when someone woke up from an obviously rivetting technical book and announced that it's bedtime.

I'm also pleased to report that my furniture repair was a success and we haven't woken up in a pile of firewood.... Yet.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

These arrived early this morning from 4D Models, London E1, (usual disclaimer) much sooner than anticipated too. I ordered two packs just in case!

IMG_20221026_101352.jpg.0075398470b260aaa8ba98d1a3c76448.jpg

But it has made me determined to finish the wagons above, as I need the space on the Bench of Bodge.

I did of course get a light hearted guilt trip around "Ooh, flowers through the post and they're not even for me"...

Accompanied by that expression which all females develop by about the age of three that is all big eyes and bottom lip, generally known as the "Daddy.... I want a pony!" face...

So I made a sneaky phone call to the florist...

Carefully timed so that the brownie points arrive just after I go out.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Your bacon is saved for a couple more days. I thought you might have earned a couple of brownie points from that bed repair.

I'm banking them all for when I either:

1. Buy something stupid.

2. Do something stupid.

She does say that such insight is an advantage to having an older partner.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

These arrived early this morning from 4D Models, London E1, (usual disclaimer) much sooner than anticipated too. I ordered two packs just in case!

IMG_20221026_101352.jpg.0075398470b260aaa8ba98d1a3c76448.jpg

But it has made me determined to finish the wagons above, as I need the space on the Bench of Bodge.

I did of course get a light hearted guilt trip around "Ooh, flowers through the post and they're not even for me"...

Accompanied by that expression which all females develop by about the age of three that is all big eyes and bottom lip, generally known as the "Daddy.... I want a pony!" face...

So I made a sneaky phone call to the florist...

Looks just like salad cress to me Mr Wolf.

Are you sure Miss R hasn't switched them when you were busy ordering her flowers.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

1. Buy something stupid.

2. Do something stupid.

Regrettably, all points vanish immediately on 1. or 2., and you're immediately in the red.

In my experience, the best way of accruing points is to hand deliver flowers to her at her place of work for no reason. When her co-workers ask what you've done, she has to say "nothing".

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

1. Buy something stupid.

2. Do something stupid.

She does say that such insight is an advantage to having an older partner.

12 hours ago, Graham T said:

Don't bank them for too long Mr W - in my experience they have quite a short shelf-life...

Based on my experience, items 1 and 2 mean that they won't be banked for very long at all.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm expecting a tricky moment later. I had an email led, internet based, purchase orientated, financial accident which has resulted in a 'package in transit' situation. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm expecting a tricky moment later. I had an email led, internet based, purchase orientated, financial accident which has resulted in a 'package in transit' situation. 

Rob. 

Ah, the Christmas sale email. Fiendishly clever way to encourage brownie points production. I made some yesterday. It's that time of year!

Happy Christmas Rob,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Is the contents of the package, expensive?

Morning Sibs. 

Well, ahem..... no, not really. 'They' were a third off.......however, when combined, ....cough.....possibly.......

R

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

Well there's equality at work, normally it goes like this (fortunately not in this house)

Him: Why have you bought more shoes?

Her: They were a bargain.

Him: How? They cost three hundred!

Her: They were half price!

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 hours ago, Graham T said:

Don't bank them for too long Mr W - in my experience they have quite a short shelf-life...

There speaks the voice of experience costly divorce....

15 hours ago, John Besley said:

Interesting thought which flowers will keep their bloom longest... the 4mm ones or the 1:1 ones...

Interesting, but cynical perhaps. She will soon forget I bought flowers for the train set, but a spontaneous romantic gesture,  that is going to live in the memory longer than the blooms in the vase.

Tip for cut flowers, don't put them in water, snip off an inch from the cut stalks and use cheap lemonade, the sugar and CO2 more than doubles the life.

14 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Looks just like salad cress to me Mr Wolf.

Are you sure Miss R hasn't switched them when you were busy ordering her flowers.

As advertised on Little Muddle, they turned out pretty damn fine for that project. I'm hoping that it's contagious!

12 hours ago, aardvark said:

Regrettably, all points vanish immediately on 1. or 2., and you're immediately in the red.

True and you can't expect immediate forgiveness even with a grand gesture, you have to do your doghouse time and take it like a man.

12 hours ago, aardvark said:

In my experience, the best way of accruing points is to hand deliver flowers to her at her place of work for no reason. When her co-workers ask what you've done, she has to say "nothing".

Unfortunately, the romcoms lied to us, in the modern world such an ostentatious gesture is seen as attention seeking for yourself / the last desperate act of a man who knows he is about to be replaced by someone taller and much richer.

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Based on my experience, items 1 and 2 mean that they won't be banked for very long at all.

I take it that you have managed to both do and buy something stupid without the approved breathing space and most likely several times within the same lunar cycle?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4