Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

It's another of the duplicated components from the Ratio cattle dock kit. They seem to put a lot of useful little extras in their kits, much in the same manner as Wills' do.

It's even better if you have a habit of not building things straight out of the box.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Always useful to have extras. You never know when you might need one so never leave home without having an extra in your back pocket.

Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Or "How to alienate the vast majority of people from your cause, however worthy you may think it is".

If someone comes up with a clean alternative for ordinary people to put in their tanks and keep their old cars going so that they can keep putting bread on the table, they'd get my full support, until then?

well I dont recommend the tomato soup that will gim the plugs up.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I should have taken some photos of it in pieces but it was rather depressing and a lot of bits of wood. I'm going to have to make good the areas around the joints in a couple of places, because it had really been hacked about at some point. At least the gloop came off easily where the joints hadn't been cleaned out with what was probably a hammer and screwdriver.

IMG_20221023_172312.jpg.bab9ede50302379fc36e0187e847650f.jpg

The wagons are shown here waiting for paint to dry. Unfortunately the Dapol 5 plank only has interior details on the floor, probably why someone has adapted a Dapol coal load to fit. 

Maybe they had a dummy gravel load when new? 

IMG_20221023_172433.jpg.a369f56c673e7ca684d832f84bea75d7.jpg

I'm going to hide it with a new load, but weathered the top plank anyway.

Externally, I've distressed the planks and lettering a little, mostly around the top and the side door. I don't know what Dapol use, but their lettering is really good and my fibreglass pencil wouldn't touch it. A bit of 400 grit was the answer.

IMG_20221023_172608.jpg.c707b813e080a5858a84441667a817a0.jpg

• Like 19

Just as an afterthought, does anyone know what the business Morris & Griffin of Newport Monmouthshire was? It would help me decide what kind of a load to put on it.

I'm already aware of the amount of speculation that a mystery crate on a layout can generate...

Edited by MrWolf
Sheer incompetence
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Congrats on your century Senor Lupo!

Century? Who? What? 

I deny everything.

We were never there / I have no recollection of seeing any bodies / the safe was empty when we got there / I never wear underwear that colour.... 

Please circle as appropriate.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Morris_and_Griffin

Found them, I think.

The question is however, what on earth would they have wanted a flat wagon for?

You'd have thought most of their produce would go out in barrels of some kind, so a 5-plank would be more appropriate... 

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/grcwPOcw.htm says "PL402 shows a similar wagon supporting a wooden framework for a large rectangular slurry tank", with a cross reference elsewhere on the page: "PL = PLATE REFERENCE IN KEITH MONTAGUE’S BOOK " PRIVATE OWNER WAGONS FROM THE GLOUCESTER RAILWAY CARRIAGE AND WAGON COMPANY LTD" OXFORD PUBLISHING COMPANY 1981 SBN 86093 124 2"

Edit - the book Abe link

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That selection is a rather disturbing insight into how your mind works 😁

Good job I didn't wheel out any more then...

So what is the century then? 

Or is it a code I am not familiar with?

If you'd said "three" that was the number of clapped out GWR 2251's I saw yesterday and resisted buying, which I was quite pleased with myself about.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nick C said:

You'd have thought most of their produce would go out in barrels of some kind, so a 5-plank would be more appropriate... 

https://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/grcwPOcw.htm says "PL402 shows a similar wagon supporting a wooden framework for a large rectangular slurry tank", with a cross reference elsewhere on the page: "PL = PLATE REFERENCE IN KEITH MONTAGUE’S BOOK " PRIVATE OWNER WAGONS FROM THE GLOUCESTER RAILWAY CARRIAGE AND WAGON COMPANY LTD" OXFORD PUBLISHING COMPANY 1981 SBN 86093 124 2"

Thanks, that's a mine of information, I have no books on PO wagons, so that might be a good place to start.