Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Literally waiting for paint to dry.

IMG_20221013_225447.jpg.68794722f709743f038284e0377124cc.jpg

Lovely finish on the road surface, Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Literally waiting for paint to dry.

Well worth the wait. Superb modelling Rob. Looking forward to seeing this corner of the Aston empire completed *.

* a layout is never completed, but you get my drift .

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Well worth the wait. Superb modelling Rob. Looking forward to seeing this corner of the Aston empire completed *.

I do indeed get your drift, shall we settle for "less like a workbench"?

I'm looking forward to it too.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Spot on Monsieur Fishyplatter. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just an idle thought... something I've noticed in travels where there's a bump in the road in older times there used to be splashes of oil stains from hot sumps (not so much these days with under engine covers) how would this work by a level crossing....

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, John Besley said:

Just an idle thought... something I've noticed in travels where there's a bump in the road in older times there used to be splashes of oil stains from hot sumps (not so much these days with under engine covers) how would this work by a level crossing....

To say nothing of grubby deposits from various road traction engines, waiting for the gates to open!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, teaky said:

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the sublime beauty of the spatial relationships contextualize the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

Heck, that's what I was about to say. But I'll paraphrase: it looks very nice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Has anyone chucked tomato soup over it is the question one should really be asking?

Or "How to alienate the vast majority of people from your cause, however worthy you may think it is".

If someone comes up with a clean alternative for ordinary people to put in their tanks and keep their old cars going so that they can keep putting bread on the table, they'd get my full support, until then?

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, teaky said:

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the sublime beauty of the spatial relationships contextualize the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

Why thank you, that's most encouraging!

I do sometimes wonder if what I'm doing is plausible enough, given that I'm pinching bits from here and there around the Shropshire / Herefordshire / Welsh borders. As you probably know, all there is at this point at the real Aston on Clun is a twitch in the road and a few ridges in the field where a platform and other structures might have been. 

When I started this, I wasn't even aware that the original plans, such as they were, for a light railway down the Clun Valley had even survived, or carried so much detail.

PS, I do know that you are having a laugh!

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I seem to recall that Damien Hirst recently destroyed a lot of his "art".  No bad thing, in my opinion.

And don't get me started on Tracey Emin ...

Which is why I recently emailed the Kremlin:

Dear Mr Putin,

If you really are going to go mental and push the big red button, might I suggest that your primary target be The Tate Modern?

I can assure you that it will confuse everyone into believing that you might actually have been capable of rational thinking after all.

Yours Sincerely...

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Are you intending to peddle Non Fungible Tokens for Bethesda Sidings as part of the spiel?

Don't use a big word when a singularly unloquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity.

So I've been told. 

The big word being spiel*

*Unless of course you appreciate the dulcet tones of the Minutemen?

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Funny 7