Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

Aha! 

You know my thoughts on backscenes.......the plainer the better....

Right up this particular sheep's street. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bits everywhere. Chassis, wheels and backhead painted with a mixture of Humbrol black 33 and gunmetal 53.

The reversing lever is from a scrap Dean Goods and the Belpaire backhead is from the @chuffinghellparts bin.

The red bufferbeams are also from the Dean Goods, but were too narrow, the printed ones that I'm fitting with Slater's Churchward pattern sprung buffers are way better anyway.

IMG_20220615_010828.thumb.jpg.794fcebe23d0c229578cc0ebc79f8af9.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A new arrival in the yard at Aston on Clun.

Steam trials have been conducted despite all the missing parts!

IMG_20220614_215604.thumb.jpg.e34738c71adad57fec137cbfa4b2737d.jpg

The quality of your print is way beyond a ‘professional’ company I purchased from previously. This is looking great Rob and makes me wish I had the time to invest in 3D printing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, JustinDean said:

The quality of your print is way beyond a ‘professional’ company I purchased from previously. This is looking great Rob and makes me wish I had the time to invest in 3D printing.

Thanks Jay, but I can't take credit for the print, that's down to Chris's skill and patience. We just kept bouncing the model's details and manufacturing methods back and forth and the whole thing grew from sawing up a Triang Jinty to cannibalising modern Hornby and Bachmann items for the running gear, sourcing a few of the details that needed to be robust and making the rest.

I think that the only stumbling block to leaving behind the RTR parts is knowing where to source coupling rods of the right length.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Chassis, wheels and backhead painted with a mixture of Humbrol black 33 and gunmetal 53.

You augment/replace either colour with Matt leather (62) to get a more weathered appearance, and indeed use the Metalcote gunmetal (27004) for a more “sooty” look on things like the cab roof: a bit of burnishing with a clean dry brush brings out a few shiny bits nicely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks Jay, but I can't take credit for the print, that's down to Chris's skill and patience. We just kept bouncing the model's details and manufacturing methods back and forth and the whole thing grew from sawing up a Triang Jinty to cannibalising modern Hornby and Bachmann items for the running gear, sourcing a few of the details that needed to be robust and making the rest.

I think that the only stumbling block to leaving behind the RTR parts is knowing where to source coupling rods of the right length.

Well it seems like a productive and worthwhile collaboration mate and if you guys ever fancy a crack at LNWR tenders used as water carriers or the NLR tanks used on the C&HPR do let me know.

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A new arrival in the yard at Aston on Clun.

Steam trials have been conducted despite all the missing parts!

IMG_20220614_215604.thumb.jpg.e34738c71adad57fec137cbfa4b2737d.jpg

What was it printed on and with?

(Machine and resin.)

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

What was it printed on and with?

(Machine and resin.)

Printed on an Anycubic Mono using Anycubic basic resin

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I'm thinking the heavy cast iron type that are about 2-3/4" diameter. That way I can use the old dodge of track pins, unless anyone knows of a better way?

Unless you have some 1mm round styrene rod, if you have a small offcut can be cut and filed round to make it more knobesque.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

the old dodge of track pins, unless anyone knows of a better way?

Brass lace-making pins, put into a pin vice, which in turn is put into the chuck of a mains electric drill, ensure everything is nice and tight and then turn down to preferred size with a needle file. Result - nice shiny brass door knobs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5