Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There's no way that Al's father could have responded due to the fact that his mother was also present in the shop?

That's just the first thing I thought of, there are other possibly more important moral dilemmas....

Maybe Al’s father was asking on behalf of Al…? ;)

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Perhaps we ought to have a whip round. Oh no, I've started something now.

That might pay for the vice…

(Although as you are a [retired?] “man of the cloth”, I am not sure if I am surprised that you know about these things or not. On the assumption that only the fallen can be restored/saved from their sins, I will go with understanding that your calling may have brought you into contact with the vice of others?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Your phone camera doesn't do your modelling justice, Rob. Perhaps we ought to have a whip round. Oh no, I've started something now.

Thanks. Sometimes it takes decent photos, then it kind of falls off the wagon...

I do have a proper digital camera, don't know why, I don't have a computer and the memsahibs laptop is overburdened with her work material.

You don't still have access to a collection box do you? 

I tried picking one up once, but it burns!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'll try a little harder with the pictures, it does bug me that I have to take five to get one.

Obviously I can't keep passing it off as I'm going for a 1970s Railway Modeller / Model Railway Constructor theme to the layout...

(Though some of my locos and stock had rave reviews in the aforementioned tomes.)

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nah, that's the Catholic confessional.

Everyone else tries to behave in the first place, rather than do it anyway and expect to be forgiven...:P

There’s the old saw:

”As a child, I prayed regularly to God, asking for a new bicycle. Then I realised that He doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness…”

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks. Sometimes it takes decent photos, then it kind of falls off the wagon...

I do have a proper digital camera, don't know why, I don't have a computer and the memsahibs laptop is overburdened with her work material.

You don't still have access to a collection box do you? 

I tried picking one up once, but it burns!

Have you tried taking a step back and then zoom in by cropping the picture to the size you want. This is a simple way of increasing the depth of field but does require a large pixel size and good room lighting.

Does the phone allow to pick where you want to focus by touching the screen?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, KNP said:

Have you tried taking a step back and then zoom in by cropping the picture to the size you want. This is a simple way of increasing the depth of field but does require a large pixel size and good room lighting.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

27 minutes ago, KNP said:

Does the phone allow to pick where you want to focus by touching the screen?

It does and it's probably pilot error that I can't get it to behave on this new phone.

Time for a bit of practice I think.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

That might pay for the vice…

(Although as you are a [retired?] “man of the cloth”, I am not sure if I am surprised that you know about these things or not. On the assumption that only the fallen can be restored/saved from their sins, I will go with understanding that your calling may have brought you into contact with the vice of others?)

That was going to be my defence alongside the claim that I am Anglo-Catholic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

1938... And just like today ominous rumblings in Europe...

The difference being that if we'd have kept out of it, the two dictatorships would probably have worn each other down to nothing.

I've spent some time in eastern Europe, complicated isn't the word.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Maybe the shop girl was?

We'll never know now.:mellow:

My parents were married 56 years until my father passed away. I don't ever recall them having an actual row.

My ex-wife and I had plenty of rows but never in front of, or within earshot of, the children.

• Friendly/supportive 3

If I put the layout against the other wall, the backscene is slightly distracting:

IMG_20220222_214304.jpg.00e3ef83e008e4ba994134fe882d1898.jpg

However, there's a bit of timber fabrication taking place that may or may not be connected with backscenes...

IMG_20220222_230237.jpg.ab9051e102689d487f72f96cc2acb611.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
The usual
  • Like 11

40 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

My ex-wife and I had plenty of rows but never in front of, or within earshot of, the children.

It's perhaps fortunate that I didn't have any children with my wife. She did however put on the sweetness and light act whenever there were people around.

One evening on the way home from work I bumped into one of her friends who was on her way round to our house, so I gave her a lift.

As soon as I stepped through the back door of the house, dear wifey started mouthing off from the front room with her usual demands, none of which appealed.

She was still loudly demonstrating her general lack of class as she came into the kitchen to see her friend standing there.

So she immediately switched into perfect partner mode, hoping that nobody would notice.

It was an epic fail on her part.

• Friendly/supportive 11