Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

As it's too cold wet and windy to play outside, the last unballasted patch has been dealt with and some ash / gravel has been applied along the fence line between the foot crossing and the goods yard. 

I'm hoping that it will lighten as it dries. If not, it's out with the paint.

IMG_20220220_133152.jpg.e5c6d50ba8830e60f626cd654240bc26.jpg

The pin drill marks the position of a gate post!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 10

The question was asked as to the purpose of the drill and the ballasting department immediately pointed out that the grass verge should not continue across said gateway.

I think I got carried away when applying the static grass.

IMG_20220220_142946.jpg.f43eba92310cd008d5b68e7e30190658.jpg

Remedied.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Well I suppose that's one way to keep the maintenance bill down, but I can't see the lads of the verge gang liking it. There down at the Kangaroo at the moment, something about a darts competition with the Stuka crews was mentioned so there be there some time. If your lucky it'll be dark when they get chucked out so they won't see it till the morning. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A small but heavy parcel arrived today. No, it's not another loco.

It's a vital piece of equipment. A model makers / jewellers vice.

IMG_20220221_161235.jpg.92bc7bd038bf0cc1d8b5ac080449b09f.jpg

It's not as rusty as it looks in the picture! 

I bought a used item for several reasons.

It was cheaper than a new item at £6.50.

It's undamaged and still perfectly serviceable. (Repaired and reused NOT recycled.)

Although it was probably a cheapie back in the 1950s, the casting is vastly superior to anything you can buy new. Even the big names such as Record are now made in China and are no longer made of such close grained cast iron. 

There's no slop in the pinching screw, so it won't come loose ( unlike new cheapies) and the jaws close evenly.

You're doing your bit for the environment and not contributing to the economies of countries with dubious human rights records.

Old tools are nicer to use and far less toylike!

I bought my Record 70 over 50 years ago and it's still in perfect working order.

• Like 1

Down in the Profanium, there's a Record No25 and a No4. Both were scrounged from scrap piles. The 25 was virtually like new but missing a jaw (probably why it was thrown out. I spent £40 on a pair of new jaws and screws. That may sound a lot, but a brand new No25 (Made from Christmas tree chocolate pennies) will set you back over £500.

Due to the table top being a bit too thick, I had to cut a little trench in the timber for the vice body to sit in.

It also serves the purpose of stopping the vice twisting and having to rely on the single thumb screw to keep it clamped to the table.

IMG_20220221_231956.jpg.98b3f1df065e0295dfa44210e56ed381.jpg

No, that isn't our dining table. It's one of those 1970s "knotty pine" breakfast tables. A neighbor had it in their garage and was throwing it out.

A good cleaning and regluing the joints and it's the perfect height for bodging trains on.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

My Mother recounts that when I was a teenager I asked for a modellers vice for a birthday gift, and so my Father (who has a rather mischievous sense of humour) completely embarrassed my Mum by walking into a hardware store and asking the young lady behind the counter if she had any vices...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That could have backfired on him if the girl had replied "Yes, lots, would you like to review them over breakfast?" 

Which presupposes that to be a problem in any way…

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Which presupposes that to be a problem in any way…

There's no way that Al's father could have responded due to the fact that his mother was also present in the shop?

That's just the first thing I thought of, there are other possibly more important moral dilemmas....

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yes, his hands were tied... Metaphorically speaking only, of course, my mother isn't that sort, really... :D

Maybe the shop girl was?

We'll never know now.:mellow:

My parents were married 56 years until my father passed away. I don't ever recall them having an actual row.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3