Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Workbench Witterings #25 Canute for Cantue Road Quay – a PD&SWJR inspired might have been

https://southern-railway.com/2024/07/24/workbench-witterings-25-canute-for-cantue-road-quay-a-pdswjr-inspired-might-have-been/

849_3.jpg.f5fcae0c8ff393a1488f0f7652d0cf36.jpg

I like that Graham, that idea works really well with this type of locomotive.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

I'm using the excellent Planet Industrials model to represent ex GWR 2161 in its' condition after it went to Ashington Colliery, It was scrapped in  December 1951. and that's a touch early for my layout, but I can live with it.  

I have tracked down 3 photos, and all show detail differences, A visit to my thread in the Kitbuulding Section will show them Basically they show the loco shortly after arriving at Ashington, a later undated one in ACC livery as No 21, and a 1948 shot in NCB livery- presumably Black.

The loco seems to have arrived in GWR livery with "traditional"  front steps, It lost them at some stage, and this was how I assumed it ended up. Not so, as the last photo in the ITS M Handbook shows a lubricator and small front steps on the LH side. I don't suppose anyone would know or have an informed guess as to whether these would have been replicated on the RH side of the loco? The lubricator is driven by a rod from the crosshead. I've never seen this before, and would love to have a go, but it may be a step too far.

I had assumed the loco was converted at Swindon in the same way as 266/7, but not so, This was a pity, as I had already ordered and fitted etched overlays and trumpet safety valve cover, I also changed the dome,Now I;m going to have to fit the small steps and lubricators to get it to 1951 condition. I attach a photo of what I had thought was the completed model

IMG_20240723_152654.jpg

IMG_20240723_152726.jpg

• Like 6

I'm posting , with some hesitation as I'm unsure of the copyright, the photo I have of No 21 at Ashington in 1948. This shows the LH side, with the lubricator and mini- steps added, It is impossible to tell what the RH side looked like, but I;m going to make my changes on the assumption that the steps were on both sides, but the lubricator was not. Many locos - J39, Q7, RSH industrials, had this arrangement, However, if anyone knows better, please let me know.

I THINK the decals are yellow, but could be persuaded that they are white. I'm also staring at the buffers, and wondering if they too have been changed. They appear a bit bulkier than those on the model, and I have a feeling they may be ex-NER. I;m loathe to change them. Any ideas.

img004.jpg.19ae18ad4a02866b22686d888c335cc1.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20240822_114543.jpg.e50259fd73af0a3e1b1067e1071c0bac.jpg

No 21 ready for the layout. This was a straughtforward enough conversion, once the photos had been found to show what was what. The vrarious dates for the photos shown quite noticeable changes to this loco as it passed from the GWR to the Ashington Coal Company and then to the NCB, making life interestinf for the modeller. Transfers are from Railtec.

IMG_20240822_114619.jpg.d986761aa619031e2f48f7bedebc9354.jpg

• Like 11