The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Sean Connery passes

DavidB-AU

Very sad. He set a very high mark for his succeeding Bond actors, and EON Productions clearly wanted to pay tribute to him in recent Bond films by featuring the Aston Martin DB5. He joins Roger Moore in being shown around Desmond Llewelyn’s workshop in the sky. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, exet1095 said:

Poor Sir Sean has died. He didn’t pass anything. And if he did, it would have been, “Shir Sean Connery pashesh...”

Think "passes" is a US coinage, unlike UK "passed away / passed on". 

- Do you want to come over tomorrow Sean?

- Love to.

- Ten-ish?

- But I haven't got a racquet.

Back on topic, He did a lot more than just Bond. I quite enjoyed him in Hunt for Red October and Name of the Rose, and wasn't there an early film (maybe black and white?) where he was a lorry driver trying to do the right thing in a crooked haulage firm.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

That was 'Hell Drivers' from 1957 with Stanley Baker and Patrick McGoohan. Other notable films are 'The Hill' from 1965 and 'The Offence' from 1972, both of which show what a good actor he really was.

RIP Commander Bond

The Offence.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Reading about him the other day. Mostly about the incident with Johnny Stompanato.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Stompanato

So a tough guy in real life rather than just an actor playing tough.

If I wrote a list of my favourite 100 films I would think Sean Connery movies will be well in double figures.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I always wondered how he kept a straight face in the exchange between Billy Fish (Saeed Jaffreh) and Peachy Carnehan (Michael Caine) in The Man Who Would be King.

Billy Fish: He wants to know if you are gods?

Peachy: Not gods — Englishmen. Which is the next best thing.

Best wishes 

Eric

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Violence towards anyone is not a feature I admire in anyone, though sometimes I approve very highly of  justified retaliation. 

No apologies for speaking ill of the living if they come into that category.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Think "passes" is a US coinage, unlike UK "passed away / passed on". 

Its a US affectation; everybody passes now, nobody dies anymore, they pass but they're just as dead!:bye_mini:

Brian.

• Agree 2