My new Drummondesque Class X 0-6-4 tank engine.

Hi all,

As I said in my previous post about the Class 45. I have started on the Drummond Class X. So here is where I am at at the moment.

Removed the original chimney and put a nice new one on.

Removed the safety valves and the mounting hump from the body. Damned hard job that. Took me the best part of an hour to get rid of it.

GWR style safety valve cover fitted.

Filed down the steps to make them more Drummond like. He seemed to like quite narrow steps.

Made new handrails on the boiler and rear of the coal bunker as the body I have did not have any.

New couplings front and rear.

New coupling hooks front and rear.

Vacuum pipes front and rear.

Lamp brackets fitted.

Steps fitted where needed.

Fitted extra high coal rails and added real coal.

Made up set of sand boxes on the front.

Made a  hatch on the roof of the cab

Fitted a brass whistle.

Made a mounting bracket for the rear pony truck as the original mounting point would not work. I am really proud of this bracket as it worked straight away.

Made a smokebox dart and fitted it.

Glazed the cab front and rear windows.

Scratch built the water tank caps. Not sure if I like them as they seem a little too tall.

Still to do.

Needs more hand rails fitting round the cab.

Needs the roof ribs fitting when I get the plastistrip I ordered.

Needs a full repaint and numbering.

Again like the Class 45 it is not a perfect replica but it will do for me.

DSC_0960.JPG

DSC_0961.JPG

DSC_0962.JPG

DSC_0963.JPG

DSC_0964.JPG

DSC_0965.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 5

• cypherman changed the title to My new Drummondesque Class X 0-6-4 tank engine.
  • RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, cypherman said:

HI all,

Can any one tell me what this is fitted in front of the door opening of this engine. Is it the mounting frame for a canvas door.

X class.jpg

Automatic tablet catcher for single line running - it folded outwards to pick up the section tablet.

John Isherwood.

Hi all,

Done a bit more to the Class X.

Added all the ribbing on the cab roof. I have gone off the ribbing from the Class 45 as I cannot find any photo's looking down on this engine.

Added hand rails on the doors and just in front of the doors.

Filed down the steps on the front of the water tanks to a better shape.

More photo's tomorrow..... :D

Edited by cypherman

Hi all.

Here are the pictures I said I would post. I have done  a little bit more since I had last posted.

I have remade the tank fillers. They are now smaller as I thought the were too big. Unfortunately I have not found a clear picture of them to check just how big they were.

I have moved the rear vacuum pipe closer to the coupling hook as thanks for a picture from Londontram It was closer than I had put it.

Swapped the back footsteps for brass ones rather that the plastic I had used.

Now due to the picture provided by Londontram I have a conundrum. The real engine had a very sparse back. Basically 3 lamp brackets and the vacuum pipe. Rather than the back based mine upon which was that of the Drummond Class 45. So I need to know did the LMS ever add extra footsteps and handrails to this engine or should I remove the ones I have put on. Or just leave them on.

X Class back.jpg

DSC_0966.JPG

DSC_0967.JPG

DSC_0968.JPG

DSC_0969.JPG

DSC_0970.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

Hi all,

Well pH has come up trumps for me and found a picture showing LMS did alter the back of the Class X slightly. They added hand rails to the top of the bunker backplate and one down each side of the side plate of the bunker at the back.. So I was not far off what I had originally done. Just waiting for the transfers to arrive and then a spray of matt varnish

Edited by cypherman
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

Well here are the penultimate pictures of the Class X. Just waiting for the transfers to arrive. Then a quick varnish. I have really enjoyed doing this engine and the Drummond Class 45 0-6-2 I did earlier. Never thought I would ever get any of Drummonds engines. Now I have to decide what else I want to tackle...... :)

DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0973.JPG

DSC_0974.JPG

DSC_0975.JPG

• Like 1