The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Firefox and PayPal

Torper

• RMweb Premium

I've been using Firefox as my preferred browser for years.  Unfortunately, however,  when I try to pay for online shopping I have as of late been unable to get into PayPal.  With considerable reluctance, therefore, I have been using the new Microsoft Edge for my shopping expeditions without any PayPal problems.  In fact, Edge is really rather good and if the PayPal problems persist with Firefox I may well change my default browser to Edge.  Anyway, has anyone been having similar Firefox/PayPal problems and, if you have, did you manage to resolve it?

DT

Do you have NoScript running - that always causes problems for me when paying online via Firefox, I tend to go to Chrome or Edge when I want to make payments on my own machine as it is safer than selectively opening up scripts whilst in the middle of a transaction.

The latest Microsoft Edge uses Chromium (Google open architecture) which is why it is rather good when compared with Microsoft's old Edge & Internet Explorer platforms.

• RMweb Premium

No, I don't have NoScript, so it can't be that.  And I'm running the latest Firefox (82.0.2).  I have however Googled the problem and see that many Firefox users appear to have had this problem over the last few years and that the solutions suggested have been, IMO, over complicated.  The problem occurs not so much when I go directly to PayPal, but rather when I'm directed to Paypal from another site after making a purchase.  I might try disabling Adblocker Ultimate (already disabled for RMWeb) when I go to PayPal to see if that helps, but if not I might just change to Edge, much as it would pain me to do so.

DT

• RMweb Premium

I have had that problem too with firefox in the past; I use Opera instead in those circumstances. I have found that after a while (possibly another update/correction) the problem goes away. Strangely, it hasn't so far affected more than one PC at a time.

Similarly I occasionally get formatting errors on ebay pages with Firefox; again not consistently, not across multiple PCs, and not even across adjacent tabs within the same Firefox window. I'm using Opera more and more as time goes by.......

I'm using Waterfox - which is based on an earlier version of Firefox  as my main browser, alongside FF and Opera and it seems to avoid the various niggles that plague Firefox these days. It has nearly all the functionality of its step parent and may be worth trying out if you are used to FF. I use the classic version on my desktop.

• Informative/Useful 1

I was ordering something for my wife on the Argos website a few weeks ago. We had a problem when paying via a credit card in that the website did not correctly deal with the expiry date "spinners". Wouldn't work, so we switched to Chrome which worked perfectly. I have found Firefox to be not entirely stable of late, with some peculiar behaviours on Flickr and Facebook. Can't figure a pattern to them, though.

Colin

• RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2020 at 22:24, Ben Alder said:

I'm using Waterfox - which is based on an earlier version of Firefox  as my main browser, alongside FF and Opera and it seems to avoid the various niggles that plague Firefox these days. It has nearly all the functionality of its step parent and may be worth trying out if you are used to FF. I use the classic version on my desktop.

I usually do but I've found one or two sites don't work the Classic Waterfox.

Nothing like that has cropped up for me, in fact it is Firefox that produces wobblies, but between the two I manage fine. I do have Opera as a back up but very rarely go to it. Guess we must be looking at different things! No problem getting RMweb on either, thank goodness......