Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, enz said:

Would you really want your beer (national drink) indelibly associated with your Parliament?

PM Bob Hawke held the Guinness world record for downing a yard glass of beer while at Oxford.

Or was it  Cambridge?

Anyway, some posh English school.

Apart from maybe the gun  reforms  of 1996 by John Howard, I honestly cannot think of any other  Great  Australian Prime Minister moments, so I guess that beer IS indelibly associated with  parliament, by me at least..

46 minutes ago, enz said:

And do Aussies really need an excuse to imbibe?

It gets BLOODY hot, alright!?!    🙂 

image.png.7897e1ee7d58c3e6a46d2810639635be.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, CKPR said:

Have parishioners recovered from staying up all night on Thursday to Friday and/ or over-imbibing over the same time period ?

It was much more Australian time zone friendly. 10PM  there is 7AM here so no staying up or drinking at work was involved.

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I hope no members of the Parish have been caught up in all this.  I'm running Debian Linux on my everyday use computer so I haven't noticed anything, but I'm certainly not going to try accessing any on-line banking or payment systems until the 'All-clear' is sounded.  Just goes to show just how fragile the World-Wide Web is.

Lm4mGrk.jpg

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Indeed.  I wonder how the "we don't need cheques and cash anymore" brigade are feeling this evening -* especially if they are a business taking card/digital payment only

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Agree 3

BBC here have reassured folk that this is unlikely to affect personal computers or personal data.  I've just bought something from John Lewis using PayPal with no problems.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The local Supermarket yesterday had 80% of their self-serve checkouts displaying the Windows blue screen of death, but they all looked happy again when I went down there this morning.

Home users would be unlikely to be running the Crowdstrike security software so they should be unaffected.

• Agree 1

I'm due to return to work in the NHS on Monday after my obligatory post-pension purdah (and a week's holiday in Porthmadoc) and already wondering what the situation will be for my clinical appointments given the Trust's reliance on Windows with it's interminable updates.

Edited by CKPR
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, CKPR said:

I'm due to return to the NHS on Monday after my obligatory post-pension purdah (and a week's holiday in Porthmadoc) and already wondering what the situation will be for my clinical appointments given the Trust's reliance on Windows with it's interminable updates.

My Geepee called off a blood test yesterday morning, just in time.

It was a blood-sugar test as my previous annual batch of tests showed a slightly raised blood sugar count, and it triggered the NHS computer which shouted that I was on the diabetes threshold. [On it, not above it, I'm normally below it]  Something to do with my birthday, and fathers day immediately preceding my annual tests....All that cake and sweety stuff that my family gave me....obviously it was ''too much'', and I hadn't managed to dilute the sugar quickly enough.

Anyhow, the NHS and EMIS  computers had gone crunch, and probably the lab computers as well, so only 'death's door' patients were being seen.

My first response was to extract from my freezer, one of the slices of local farm shop Victoria sponge I had frozen some time beforehand...

Two weeks without cake can have a deleterious effect on the likes of me.

[The whole cake was cut in half, and one side went to my Ex wife #3....Me keeping the other half.....Trite not to buy it as it was reduced..The local farm shop gets a huge table full of cake delivered every Thursday....and they sell off the previous week's unsold stock at a reduced price.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

His Majesty's Loyal Opposition are casting around for a new leader and early manoeuvrings put me in mind of the Dutch fans at the Euros. Naar Links Naar Rechts (To The Left, To The Right)

https://youtu.be/OLfKJS3VHh4

although more recent developments are firmly in the vein of keep going right.

Alan

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've getten um Yorksha gowd teeur made i' 'arrogate 'n afta suppin it uz voice 'as gone orl strange.

aWoZJbe.jpg

Is eur gran' drop o' teeur though.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, Annie said:

I've getten um Yorksha gowd teeur made i' 'arrogate 'n afta suppin it uz voice 'as gone orl strange.

aWoZJbe.jpg

Is eur gran' drop o' teeur though.

Thank you for this ‘potentially’ valuable post. I tried using Babelfish to translate the text but it didn’t recognise it?🤔

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Thank you for this ‘potentially’ valuable post. I tried using Babelfish to translate the text but it didn’t recognise it?🤔

Ayup lad, tis t' Yorksha way o' speytin.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I’m not qualified to comment on the quality of tea from Yorkshire, because all tea tastes like boiled eau de cologne to me, but I can comment on Taylor’s coffee bags: truly appalling!

I bought some to take on a bike camping trip, because I haven’t got a tiny, easily packable coffee-maker, and regretted it from the first sip.

PS: went to Harrogate recently, lovely countryside roundabout, pretty much like the pictures on tea packets, oddly enough.

IMG_0966.jpeg.7647e425d037523c9a7218cfd868d181.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m not qualified to comment on the quality of tea from Yorkshire, because all tea tastes like boiled eau de cologne to me, 

Rinse the pot out.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Deeps said:

If ye canna jalouse whit it seys, ye'll hae to spier frae a local.

We use Taylors groond coffee in oor machine and it's guid.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

(Sorry @Annie)

If I don't drink the tea regularly it wears off like now.  It was a lot of fun though.

Reading the words out loud will give the clue to their meaning.  Phonetics and all that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I live in an area where the watter [East Yarkshoire]...comes out of the ground..being located on chalk uplands [the Wolds]...

It does taste OK, but to avoid getting the coating of stuff in the electric kettle, I always empty it and refill with fresh watter after every use...

The hellyment looks to be quite shiny, even after many years of usage.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m not qualified to comment on the quality of tea from Yorkshire, because all tea tastes like boiled eau de cologne to me,

Pray do tell what occasioned you to boil eau de cologne, and then taste it - in order to make that comparison.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

A raging thirst, sir; a raging thirst.

Thirty days adrift in an open boat, and the fresh water all gone on the twenty-third. Not a morsel left of the weevily biscuits, so I ate the first mate, about whom all sorts of rumours had previously swirled, and drank his eau de cologne.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Rinse the pot out.

What! 

Maybe give it a scrape after a couple of years, but otherwise leave the inside well alone for a deep, rich flavour.

Alan 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Buhar said:

What! 

Maybe give it a scrape after a couple of years, but otherwise leave the inside well alone for a deep, rich flavour.

Alan 

In general I would agree but the issue here was to remove the taste of boiled eau de cologne with which his pot had become contaminated. We have a similar issue after using the pot for certain herbal teas.