Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Bachmann - not Bachmann-never-be-afraid-to-be-dull-Europe, but those wacky folk at Bachmann Trains - have entered the list with a late entry that is surely going to give Hornby some concerns:

image.png.d9484ac6f2e87f4aedb46bbcb8c8445b.png

The most disturbing thing about this HO  ...thing... is that the price is $259 (or £204 plus postage and customs if anyone is wierd enough to order one from the UK)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

You are probably right Stephen.  The deliberate irony will be lost on many.

I understood it, and I'm an Austraylian.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webbcompound said:

The most disturbing thing about this HO  ...thing... is that the price is $259 (or £204 plus postage and customs if anyone is wierd enough to order one from the UK)

I did a google image search and I reckon its a blatant ripoff of this, though it  has  apparently paid a visit to the local rebirthing place to give it a new paint job that also doubles as a valuable resource in learning about what colours the American flag is -  as the commentary explains.

As a bonus, who could ever get sick  of watching it go round and round?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I got phone call from a 12 years old girl who the Tories had tied to a telephone to ask some daft questions yesterday.

The first question was who would I rather vote for as prime minister, to which I asked if she understood the UK electoral system, which confused her. 

Then she went on about some Tory and Reform policies (which seem to be based on the fact that we are overwhelmed with immigrates coming over on boats the size of the Queen Mary every minute). 

The last question was how bad it would be if Labour got in and reduced the voting age to 16. I said that if that was the case, she'd be able to vote next time!

Every question was on a subject that isn't even a minority issue, and I prided myself in answering each one in a way that she wasn't expecting, so would be worthless to their stats!

Trussy is door stepping this time round, a friend had her knock on the door, and was asked if she could rely on her vote, she was somewhat taken aback to hear that there was fat chance of that happening!

Our local Independent candidate started his pamphlet with 'vote for me, as you don't really want Truss back do you?' Although a Tory in disguise, how could you not vote for someone like that?

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 4

The SNP launched their 'Battle Bus' today.  They will have to have hired it as the nice shiny Neiman & Bischoff £100,000+ A class motorhome they had purchased for the purpose a few years ago (and kept parked on the driveway of the CEO (NS's husband)'s mother in Falkland) is currently in police custody having been impounded as part of their investigations into the party's finances.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, uax6 said:

I got phone call from a 12 years girl who the Tories had tied to a telephone to ask some daft questions yesterday.

The first question was who would I rather vote for as prime minister, to which I asked if she understood the UK electoral system, which confused her. 

Craftsmanship/Clever

4 hours ago, uax6 said:

Then she went on about some Tory and Reform policies (which seem to be based on the fact that we are overwhelmed with immigrates coming over on boats the size of the Queen Mary every minute). 

The last question was how bad it would be if Labour got in and reduced the voting age to 16. I said that if that was the case, she'd be able to vote next time!

Every question was on a subject that isn't even a minority issue, and I prided myself in answering each one in a way that she wasn't expecting, so would be worthless to their stats!

Trussy is door stepping this time round, a friend had her knock on the door, and was asked if she could rely on her vote, she was somewhat taken aback to hear that there was fat chance of that happening!

image.png.f96b2f0eeed6c46209ec7c8ab7aa2bbf.png

4 hours ago, uax6 said:

Our local Independent candidate started his pamphlet with 'vote for me, as you don't really want Truss back do you?' Although a Tory in disguise, how could you not vote for someone like that?

Ours had a leaflet saying 'don't vote for me, I don't want to be an MP'

4 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

• Funny 3

9 hours ago, webbcompound said:

This is not a HO (or H0) thing but what they call in the US a G gauge thing. It is made to run on 45 mm track. 

Regards

Fred

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, sncf231e said:

This is not a HO (or H0) thing but what they call in the US a G gauge thing. It is made to run on 45 mm track. 

Regards

Fred

You are correct! But are they narrow gauge or gauge 1? Now I find there are dozens of the little bleeders in all kinds of colour schemes. They appear to sell for as "little" as £160 on ebay, listed in Germany. This is terryfing. Apparently they are called "eggliners". Who buys all this stuff?

Our constituency is Weald of Kent, a new one formed by carving the most dyed in the wool Tory areas off Maidstone, Ashford and Tunbridge Wells and ramming them together. I believe it's the only one in SE England to be predicted for the Conservatives by all 5 MRP polls. The blue candidate is someone called Katie Lam, who used to be some kind of gofer for Suella Braverman. Driving to Tenterden recently I've noticed that she has a lot of support from people who live on road verges, at least if the posters are anything to go by.

• Friendly/supportive 4

7 hours ago, webbcompound said:

You are correct! But are they narrow gauge or gauge 1?

A lot of US-market 45mm gauge models representing standard gauge prototypes are roughly 1:29 scale, or roughly 4’ 3” gauge, a bit like 00 in this country. I think the idea is to give roughly the same size as big European metre gauge prototypes modelled at 1:22.5 scale.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

Driving to Tenterden recently I've noticed that she has a lot of support from people who live on road verges

Surprising. Unfortunately for her, homeless people sleeping rough at the side of the road are disenfranchised under our electoral system.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, webbcompound said:

You are correct! But are they narrow gauge or gauge 1? Now I find there are dozens of the little bleeders in all kinds of colour schemes. They appear to sell for as "little" as £160 on ebay, listed in Germany. This is terryfing. Apparently they are called "eggliners". Who buys all this stuff?

These "eggliners" were "invented " by Lewis Polk. an importer and toy shop owner from the USA. He started Aristo Craft that made 1:29 scale train to run on gauge 1 track (which caused the start of G scale and G gauge and all kinds of stupid out-of-scale things now running on 45 mm track). The story goes that he was looking at the  first examples made from the mold for a US observation  car and held two of these together and liked the result 😉. He was a toy man and not a model man so maybe he should be excused.

I do not know who buys this stuff, but Lionel toy trains etc are still a big thing in the "big is beautiful" country of Trump/Biden.

Regards

Fred

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Isn’t this t illegal to display party material outside a polling station?

(good dog!)

Not where I vote!

image.png.8ef05575a269140438c7c6127ae3df61.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not where I vote!

What a mess!  Anything like so much as a whiff of a political pamphlet being waved about on election day, - never mind a billboard, - will catch you a whole pile of trouble with the law here in New Zealand. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Anything like so much as a whiff of a political pamphlet being waved about on election day,

Our usual first view of the polling place. 

image.png.00a2278f6fcc6c91399c231a7898ed3c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The ballot paper must be about a mile long. Is it issued to you rolled-up to permit alternative uses?

The senate can get a bit crazy.  

image.png.c0f2b7673bfc7361e7b02a8689b8bfc9.png

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The senate can get a bit crazy.  

image.png.c0f2b7673bfc7361e7b02a8689b8bfc9.png

And here must be the reason for the Democracy Sossie - you'd need feeding to recover after trying to complete that!. 

(How about a zesty (non alcoholic) Democracy Drink as well).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Please explain!

image.png.5138335f841a82cd737697d9211ef404.png

Would you really want your beer (national drink) indelibly associated with your Parliament?

(And do Aussies really need an excuse to imbibe? - tho I suppose the same could be said for barbie food consumption.)