Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

Excellent job there Jeff with the walling. Just when I think you can't top  it you go and raise the standard several more notches.

One word of caution though in terms of the materials used to 'close' the hole in wall. Timber would have been used sparingly particularly machined timber as per the photos due to the cost and the difficulty in transporting it too site. May I suggest that barbed wire be used instead. This was light weight and relatively cheap.

• Like 1

Superb upgrade to the walling there, Jeff.

I’ve been catching up post Glasgow and haven’t been helped by the current state of the site.

Winslow Boy has certainly thrown down the gauntlet regarding the barbed wire.

I look forward to seeing scratchbuilt true scale barbed wire making an appearance.

• RMweb Premium

The discussion re. barbed wire instead of wood is a fair one, but actually moot in this context.

The wall DID fall down in places and, albeit temporarily, the authorities DID go to the trouble of shipping wooden fencing up to the site, as shown in the prototype pics. As wooden fencing provides a nice contrast with stone walling, I'll be proceeding as planned.

As for barbed wire, it's actually not THAT difficult to model, but you need a bit of luck. In the pics in the next post, the fence poles have a "barbed wire" line at the top. Painting this wire to make it stand out (it's white and nigh on invisible otherwise), the paint tends to clump along the wire because of surface tension. I try to remove this, but if left to dry the beads do resemble the barbs in barbed wire....

• RMweb Premium

Today's update pics.

I'm now nearly 300 stones on the way uphill in the background, but that's just mundane walling - maybe discuss that when I reach the top.

More layering work around the path with a bit of flock. And an hour or so fitting the first set of fence poles with a wire along the top. This has to go in now - I made the mistake of putting this feature onto the diorama when I'd already done the longer grass. Made it a bit tricky to see the fine holes the plastic rodding is seated into!

It's still too neat for my liking, but nature will take over in a day or two - grass, flowers, a few shrubs, a bit of hedging are all waiting in the wings....

And btw, serious comment, I do apologise for the sequence of "samey" pics this week. Same angles - but they do show a progression and I know that some of you want to see what's going on - rather than "hey, look - here's one I made 2 weeks ago".

20220308_182049rs.jpg.4dcc029cec45dee7be6f613709b9b7c8.jpg

20220308_182056.jpg.9aab71c46acdfe314be2c4f22c498415.jpg

20220308_182106rs.jpg.d4087467dd48b446a8aad7d2b1de37be.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Today's update will be the last for a few days as I'll get a fair bit done and then show some real progress.

Today: Fence poles and wire onto right wall, longer grass onto left path border, another 100+ stones on the wall that's gradually creeping up the hill.

20220309_180141rs.jpg.1e10c98025a0721bfe3a4c2ffbb5dd68.jpg

20220309_180150rs.jpg.9120a47ec634efb82e2ff092155c8a9c.jpg

20220309_180228.jpg.b9596bf6378371f0de7415647c63aff4.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold

I concur with Rob, I’m liking the fence against the stone wall. It’s a feature you seldom see modelled.  Good stuff so far Jeff - looking forward to things getting a tad more wild. 

Jay

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Just discovered this amazing thread. And so taking my time walking through the many pages here. I was fascinated to see the how you're producing the stone walls. I used a similar method on Bovey Tor. As a lot of the landscape was meant to look like Dartmoor. I experimented with a number of clays. Starting with Das but later trying out various oil based clays. In the end using Chavant NSP hard, a professional oil based clay used by sculptors. You can soften it by warming in the oven, which makes it rather easy to cut and shape.

Hawthorn1a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Wouldn't be concerned about what clay Jeff uses, as I believe that he manufacturers his own to ensure he gets only the finest quality materials.

He gets the raw material from his clay quarry. Mind you now that he's gone into fence manufacturing he might be tad busy. What with his timber mill and barb wire mill I'm surprised he has anytime left for anything else.

He's created a proper little cottage industry just to support Gill Head.

Edited by Winslow Boy
It's Jeff not Geoff Der
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Wouldn't be concerned about what clay Geoff uses, as I believe that he manufacturers his own to ensure he gets only the finest quality materials.

He gets the raw material from his clay quarry. Mind you now that he's gone into fence manufacturing he might be tad busy. What with his timber mill and barb wire mill I'm surprised he has anytime left for anything else.

He's created a proper little cottage industry just to support Gill Head.

If only there was a support industry - to make the DAS strips, which is bl**dy boring. As for the clay quarry - I think the DAS company should give me some honorary shares - I've used around 40kg of the stuff in the last year. Hardly a pack in sight now.

Where did it all go to? Answers on the reverse of your enclosed cheque, please....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gedward said:

Hi Jeff

Just discovered this amazing thread. And so taking my time walking through the many pages here. I was fascinated to see the how you're producing the stone walls. I used a similar method on Bovey Tor. As a lot of the landscape was meant to look like Dartmoor. I experimented with a number of clays. Starting with Das but later trying out various oil based clays. In the end using Chavant NSP hard, a professional oil based clay used by sculptors. You can soften it by warming in the oven, which makes it rather easy to cut and shape.

Hawthorn1a.jpg

Hi Jedward.

Is that a username, is it Jed....I like to refer to people on here by first names, where possible.

I'm glad you've enjoyed looking through the thread. The philosophy is both "listen and learn" and "onwards and, hopefully, upwards" - principally due to the feedback and ideas generated on here.

Nice to see someone modelling stone features in a different context - and a good job you're making of it.

Keep the input going!

J.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I said I'd wait a few days before posting again, but I've just tried something new - to me, that is - and I'm pleased with the results.

Some sections of hedging from rubberised horsehair. The third pic shows the few I made (spent all of 30 minutes on this, just before tea - ironically after cleaning up.....flock, horsehair, static grass, spray then made a real old mess, but sod it!) just plonked in place behind one of the walls for a "photo op". I think there'll be a production line of these, in different sizes, shapes and colours, in the near future.

Oh, cr@p - just another thing to make!

1961374518_20220310_154813cr.jpg.00504d9f910b1dd17513b3dd046cf8a4.jpg

1998765020_20220310_154830cr.jpg.9071835f68fa63d029bf93192b706e18.jpg

1745262893_20220310_163457cr.jpg.8a6cd87244b2168d9f48d2fab4663a89.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Jedward.

Is that a username, is it Jed....I like to refer to people on here by first names, where possible.

I'm glad you've enjoyed looking through the thread. The philosophy is both "listen and learn" and "onwards and, hopefully, upwards" - principally due to the feedback and ideas generated on here.

Nice to see someone modelling stone features in a different context - and a good job you're making of it.

Keep the input going!

J.

My first name is George. Gedward is just a username.

Like you, I'm on this ride for the modelling, less so railway operations. For that reason I've chosen to model a small harbour town called Bovey Quay, at low tide. Hoping that there'll be so much modelling to do, I'll never actually finish it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Gedward said:

My first name is George. Gedward is just a username.

Like you, I'm on this ride for the modelling, less so railway operations. For that reason I've chosen to model a small harbour town called Bovey Quay, at low tide. Hoping that there'll be so much modelling to do, I'll never actually finish it.

Thanks for the reply and apologies that I couldn't even spell Gedward correctly!

Agree about the modelling. I may have some locos running at some stage, but in the meantime it's a lot more fun creating the landscape.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A very nice set of photos, Jeff. Liking very much the different textures and shades of foliage. Perhaps a suggestion of moss and lichen growing on some of the walling. It's very wet in this part of the country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

In fact, it's chucking it down right now...

What did you use for the darker green weeds / nettles  in front of the wall?

It's a bed of 12mm grass - Noch green and beige mixed together, allowed to set in place and then the tips of the grass dabbed with neat PVA. Then Noch leaves - I think I used a middle green - sprinkled over the top, allowed to set and vacuumed off.

I did the same thing with the "beds" of yellow weeds/flowers, and the effect was first tested (for me) on the diorama.

It's quite effective ground cover mixed in with a few shrubs and other grass lengths.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 08/03/2022 at 18:55, Rowsley17D said:

Around our way as a child an old bedstead filled wall gaps. Nowadays it's pallets.

Even in the eighties you'd still find quite a few enamel signs jammed into hedge bottoms also. I spent quite a bit of time liberating them. People thought I was weird.

I was a step ahead of them, I knew I was weird!

• Funny 3

This is moving up to a whole new level Jeff. You certainly have been blessed with an eye for detail.

I hope to be able to have a look at the real thing soon. We have taken the plunge and are finalising the bookings for a trip over in a couple of months. To hell with the prospect of WW3. Until then, I’ll be spending a bit of time on Google Earth checking out exactly where it is and how to get there!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neilgue said:

This is moving up to a whole new level Jeff. You certainly have been blessed with an eye for detail.

I hope to be able to have a look at the real thing soon. We have taken the plunge and are finalising the bookings for a trip over in a couple of months. To hell with the prospect of WW3. Until then, I’ll be spending a bit of time on Google Earth checking out exactly where it is and how to get there!

Hi Neil.

Good to hear that you've got a visit in the pipeline. I'm sure the UK weather will bring back many happy memories!!

As for Arten Gill - I'll be passing by that way, weather allowing, the week after next. Jonathan (Rowsley 17D) and I are taking a trip from Settle to Carlisle and back, so it'll be nice to see Arten Gill after a passage of years since the last visit.

As for the layout, re-walling continues - I'm now over half way there. Newly "discovered" interests such as tree-making are slowing me down!

• Like 1