York station in the 1950's.

kirtleypete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2024 at 07:43, Harry Lund said:

These crossovers enable a train to travel 'out and back', but need an auto-reverse section to make it work electrically.   (A problem my first layout, H-D 3 rail, did not have!).   Section 40-8 is 'hatched', showing an auto-reverse section.   

Not all trackwork is detected.   Sections/zones that the signaling software needs to read to set the correct aspects, or that report the position of trains in the hidden storage yards, are detected.   Carriage sidings and the loco yard in the scenic section are not detected.

IMG_4369.jpg.e6e602dcf74877716339a92e3a58c248.jpg

Building up the underside.  Each section of rail wired through to copper clad strip under, itself cut into the relevant 'zones'.    Note each wire is annotated, as is the copper clad strip.   Black for J, Red for K, White for a section that needs to be switched between the two, ie common crossings and auto-reverse sections.

Using DCC rather than 2-rail DC does take you back to one feature of 3-rail.  Forward/reverse depends on which way round the loco is facing.

Not directly relevant to the purpose of this particular diagram perhaps, but the highlight pen shading brings to mind a colour coding convention used on the prototype in signalbox diagrams of the NX type and similar.  Separate track circuit sections are shown in alternate colours - blue & yellow (easily remembered as colours of the sky) for Up lines, green and brown for Down lines (colours of the ground).  Orange/purple/pink may be used where junctions and crossovers would otherwise cause clashes, and black for lines not track circuited - as seen here on one of Eastleigh's panelsNX032.jpg.598fb335c30f20b4114ad1936a3370cd.jpg

Not providing detection in carriage sidings and on shed is a sensible cost saving - such areas would not be track circuited on the prototype either, and as trains would not be subect to signals they should be driven on sight, that is under manual control and of course slowly.

I like your wiring number convention - and more particularly the fact that you have numbered the wire both where it emerges through the baseboard and where it connects.  That comes into its own in those busier areas where you ran out of wire tidies!  Murphy's law says if you hadn't done that you'd catch some of the wires under the baseboard one day and be struggling to work out where to reconnect.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Michael.

The service board is coming together.

From the front.   

IMG_4475.jpg.cfb6cbebe3421da542aef9338989407c.jpg

And the back

IMG_4474.jpg.560af5f2399c09386ce825ab4125a518.jpg

Hopefully done in the next few days, then its a case of refitting and bolting the baseboards, this on the IKEA IVAR posts under, connecting up, and fingers crossed ....

Signal cables are to a separate board.   I forgot this when cutting holes in the front board - hence the row of empty holes for boards 40, 17 and 19.

Giles

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A question.  Can anyone shed light, or even better have a photograph, of a combined semaphore (home) and colour light (A, AA, G) signal?   There were two of these on the Up Scarborough line near then Burton Lane box.

Thanks

Giles

BurtonLaneBox.jpg.bd9c87f38f8d0eb261b62775ac12b0e5.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Harry Lund said:

A question.  Can anyone shed light, or even better have a photograph, of a combined semaphore (home) and colour light (A, AA, G) signal?   There were two of these on the Up Scarborough line near then Burton Lane box.

Thanks

Giles

BurtonLaneBox.jpg.bd9c87f38f8d0eb261b62775ac12b0e5.jpg

The web site https://www.railsigns.uk/info/appsig1.html has details of approach signals (Semaphore to Colour Light Transition) which includes an example photo of Signal BL3 at Belasis Lane (Billingham) near the foot of the page. 

• Like 2

I have certainly seen photos (old thread on here?  on some other website?) of such signals on the ECML introduced as part of a limited resignalling to cater for faster services.  The distant signals were no longer far enough out to allow adequate braking in some cases, so additional outer distants were provided capable of showing YY/G, effectively upgrading existing semaphore signalling to 4-aspect on the cheap.  Classic case of Neville Shute's comment that an engineer is a man who can do for ten shillings what any fool can do for a pound!

In some places the extra signal would coincide with the starter of the previous box, so they would add 3-aspect (Y-G-Y) lenses below the starter, unlit when semaphore was on.  I think they also replaced oil lamps on the semaphores to high intensity lamps to improve visibility in fog and to avoid risk of "reading through" to the next colour light ahead.  Unfortunately, the line had been resignalled and controlled from Kings Cross PSB only a couple of years  before I moved to Hitchin. so I don't have any photos.

I wasn't aware of these on the Scarboro line though.  Looking at the layout, I suspect the reason was different here - I suspect it was partly to allow Burton Lane box to be opened only when required for the Foss Islands branch and partly because of York shunting towards Burton Lane on the Up Scarborough - semaphores would be cleared on the down when the box was switched out without any problems.  However, you'd need these colour lights in the UP direction to allow the box to switch out because when Burton Lane was switched out, York would have to obtain permission from Bootham for the shunting.  There's a brief explanation in Ch. 16 of "Signalling Centres in the North East Vol 1 - York" by Richard Pulleyn.  I'd be prepared to bet he's got photos of these signals - suggest you contact him (via the Signalling Record Society or NER Associaton).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Although not one of the signals in question, here is an example of a similar signal not too far away on the ECML at Riccall. Photo by Frank Dean.

353115913_282738550900515_3947338436699355413_n.jpg.21519bc349ba5d408dc01314fbe8a098.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks so much everyone.  I have much to learn, and will do a bit of head scratching about how to build these two signals.  At least I know what they should look like!

Major progress this week.   Earlier on this page I have shared the development of a distribution board for one of the power districts 

I've now completed the other end, i.e. the panel end, to replace the hotch potch that has served the layout so far.

Bottom shelf are the power supplies.  From left to right:

12V DC 5A

16V AC 

3 x DCC Concepts 18V DC 5A, two of the newer ones and an older discontinued, with fan that occasionally squeaks!

Top shelf, left to right:

Outlets to power districts

DCC Concepts Alpha Box to power the accessories Bus

Lenz Expressnet board

LV103 DCC Amplifier to power districts 3 & 4

LZV100 DCC Command Station

And in front receiver for wireless handset

And behind a DCC Concepts intelligent circuit breaker for power districts 1-3.  I'll install a second for districts 4-5.

IMG_4735.jpg.0380885c4a40393aa136068d7ead4468.jpg 

and the distribution board:

From L to R:

2 pin for Programming Track

Zone 1s to 5, each with a 4 pin chassis socket with switchable Track Bus and 16V AC, 4 pin PCB socket for Accessories Bus and 12V DC, and up above the input jack sockets for the Feedback Bus. 

IMG_4736.jpg.e68325072cc7d8e45f01a8995cfa2415.jpg

Hopefully all connected up and trains running in the next week or two.

As ever

Giles  

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you David and Grahame.   The panel is only 200mm deep at its deepest point.  The illusion is not yet complete.  The skyscene is a temporary piece of painted hardboard that Paul uses during the development of a panel.   The final backsheet is aluminium and will have the skyscene and a painted horizon ('the moors in the distance') a cm or two above the skyline on the panel, adding more depth.

Giles

• Like 4