The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Rolls Royce

steve1

• RMweb Gold

It does indeed have a different style to it. There's enough room to get a roof rack on top for my ladders, and a bucket for the Chamois leather... 

A couple of friends and myself considered a new venture, called Veyron Plumbing Services. You don't carry many tools, but we were bl**dy quick....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 03/09/2020 at 02:18, tigerburnie said:

I'm more of a Bentley fan myself, I'd have a Bentayga for going to the shops, but a Land Cruiser would be more useful for fishing and getting up the hills(getting too old to climb Munroe's these days lol)

The "road" I live on is unsealed(read dirt) and in the hot summer weather just turns into a dust bowl, so last year I was more than surprised to see an open topped Bentley come gliding up the hill containing four wallies having a right old time, I reckon a few sherberts had been consumed, hopefully not by the driver though, as the road is treacherous. All that had to happen   was for a car to come in the opposite direction and they all would have been covered in crap. It would have taken ages just to clean the car's interior, if it was the daily milk tanker.................:(

Mike

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Arguably this Rolls does not look like a Roller either. But I like it.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/coachbuilt-rolls-royce-shooting-brake-revealed/42993

With a ridiculous slope to the rear like that it ain't a shooting brake, nor even an estate car.

When did designers lose their way?, early 1980's I reckon.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

With a ridiculous slope to the rear like that it ain't a shooting brake, nor even an estate car.

Mike.

Plenty of space for the Purdeys. Or golf clubs.

So qualifies as a shooting brake to me but then I used to own a Scimitar SE6 which was surprisingly practical.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

In the industry they are generically called “wagons”........although not sure RR would actually like that :lol:

I genuinely like that RR Shooting Brake (it couldn’t be anything else really) as above the Purdeys would sit comfortably under the floor in their locker and the chilled F&M hamper plugged happily into the rear power socket ;)

• Like 2

On 02/09/2020 at 20:29, polybear said:

Imagine how p1ssed off you'd be when some scrote keys it......

A neighbour of mine took his Bentley to a multi-storey car park in Canterbury. The spiral ascent was a little tight. However, the descent, being on the 'inside' curve was so tight that he ended with a longitudinal scratch the length of the car. I believe it cost him over £8000 to repair the damage.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I used to work at RR, the Aero Engine Division in Elton Rd Derby and I remember a couple of blokes who were in the town visiting, they worked at the Motor Car Division in Crewe and dropped in to say hello. I'll always remember one of them saying..........the wages are crap but Jeez you can't beat the company cars;)........true story.

Rgds.....Mike

On 03/09/2020 at 02:18, tigerburnie said:

I'm more of a Bentley fan myself, I'd have a Bentayga for going to the shops, but a Land Cruiser would be more useful for fishing and getting up the hills(getting too old to climb Munroe's these days lol)

The "road" I live on is unsealed(read dirt) and in the hot summer weather just turns into a dust bowl, so last year I was more than surprised to see an open topped Bentley come gliding up the hill containing four wallies having a right old time, I reckon a few sherberts had been consumed, hopefully not by the driver though, as the road is treacherous. All that had to happen   was for a car to come in the opposite direction and they all would have been covered in crap. It would have taken ages just to clean the car's interior, if it was the daily milk tanker.................:(

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

yes you could take a Rolls Royce or Bentley home for the weekend if you achieved a certain level of management. All the Vickers (who owned Rolls Royce and Bentley at the time) Divisional Board Members had a Rolls Royce as their company car. Our Director in Defence Systems didn't like it  so used to "loan" it out for company trips to Newcastle site!

Biggest problem was,, Vickers bought Cosworth.. the RR/Bentley boys didn't want them anywhere near "their" cars.. shame really..

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Plenty of space for the Purdeys. Or golf clubs.

So qualifies as a shooting brake to me but then I used to own a Scimitar SE6 which was surprisingly practical.

9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

In the industry they are generically called “wagons”........although not sure RR would actually like that :lol:

I genuinely like that RR Shooting Brake (it couldn’t be anything else really) as above the Purdeys would sit comfortably under the floor in their locker and the chilled F&M hamper plugged happily into the rear power socket ;)

Call me old fashioned, but;

A shooting brake is intended to carry a shooting party, generally 4 beaters and 4 hunters, guns and cartridges and food hampers containing two meals including champers for each and plenty of room for a successful bag.

Can't see it myself!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A shooting brake is intended to carry a shooting party, generally 4 beaters and 4 hunters, guns and cartridges and food hampers containing two meals including champers for each and plenty of room for a successful bag.

Can't see it myself!

Mike.

Beaters in the same vehicle as the "guns"? Surely not.

I have seen various pictures over the years of R-R's that had received an estate style body, in wood, which were used to transport the servants and, perhaps, the bag.

My father owned one from 1964 to 1965, his third R-R. We went on holiday in it all the way from Surrey to Aberdeen and back.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Can't see it myself!

Mike.

11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have seen various pictures over the years of R-R's that had received an estate style body, in wood, which were used to transport the servants and, perhaps, the bag.

My father owned one from 1964 to 1965, his third R-R. We went on holiday in it all the way from Surrey to Aberdeen and back.

I think it's OK as long as the beaters ride on the open tailgate :D

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just recalled the term "station wagon" which I think more accurately reflects the type of vehicle that my father had: a bodywork designed for a chauffeur or footman to collect guests' luggage and personal servants from the nearest station.

It was certainly not a luxury vehicle. The rear seat was a very poorly constructed affair. If Dad had to brake suddenly, the seat cushion would slide off and leave any passengers on the floor. 

This was our Shooting Brake that we had through the early '60s. A Roll's 20 (1927). That were quite cheap in those days....

It's the first car of ours that I really remember

49596343313_c41b290ebf_3k.jpg2020-02-28_06-28-57 by giles favell, on Flickr

EDIT. ....and I think they've gone aesthetically downhill from then....

Edited by Giles
  • Like 6