The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

New Rolls Royce

steve1

I think the blue on the grille may just be a protective covering for the Chrome, it looks like you can see the badge underneath, and there are other bits on the doors etc. At least I hope that's what it is... Can't decide if I like the two-tone colour scheme though, it's a feature that seems to be making a bit of a comeback.

Alan

2 hours ago, John Harris said:

Remember a Rolls-Royce these days is essentially a posh BMW, made in Sussex.

jh

Ouch! (but true)

I think that the last good looking Rolls Royce was the Silver Cloud (last produced in 1966), much like the last good looking Bentley was the S2 (last produced 1962 - although the Azure is fairly OK). Additionally, it has been rumoured that a Gentleman of means and taste will naturally gravitate towards a Bentley as Rolls Royce is now the vehicle of choice for "pop stars, footballers and the Nouveau riche" (and, before others comment, Bentley is now a posh VW!)

Bentley also make a SUV - The "New" Bentayga - which looks like the love child of a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Range Rover Velar.... Give me a Bentley S1 or S2 any day...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Bentley also make a SUV - The "New" Bentayga - which looks like the love child of a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Range Rover Velar.... Give me a Bentley S1 or S2 any day...

The VW group SUVs all look the same to me. Development seems to consist of changing the badges and lights

All the best

Katy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the Bentley wheels, I realised that we used to look after the diecast tooling, mostly on behalf of Jack Barclay of London. As we had a 4 on-4 off system, the tooling was arranged so that I got to inspect, overhaul, and if needed, repair anything that came my way relating to Rolls-Royce and-or Bentley after market wheels. 

I always thought that a vehicle of that calibre would come complete, but wealthy car owners would have bespoke wheel designs made up specifically for the customer. One little-known fact about these is that although they may look different, in many respects they are the same, especially when it come to things like wheel diameter, inset & offset. We would fire a fully assembled wheel & tyre into a 6" steel wall, to observe the crash-worthiness of the wheel.

Having a 3 ton Bentley cornering at 90-odd MPH, you really need to keep the tyres on!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, John Harris said:

Remember a Rolls-Royce these days is essentially a posh BMW, made in Sussex.

jh

True, but still the most luxurious car in the world, and built to standards even the most avid rivet counter could not criticise ;)

But they are a Shadow (pun intended, sorry) of their former brethren.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

We would fire a fully assembled wheel & tyre into a 6" steel wall, to observe the crash-worthiness of the wheel.

Having a 3 ton Bentley cornering at 90-odd MPH, you really need to keep the tyres on!

Don’t worry they all do that, we used to do a drop test of an assembled wheel onto the edge of a 6” steel block, and just to make sure a track test literally sliding sideways into a “standard kerb”, then of course there are the “Chuck holes” to negotiate, a series of right angled pot holes roughly 6” deep at alternating sides of the vehicle for about 20 yards.

If a Fiesta could get through that we were fairly confident your average housewife couldn’t buckle a wheel on the school run.........then again :lol:

• Funny 1

21 hours ago, jivebunny said:

I think the blue on the grille may just be a protective covering for the Chrome, it looks like you can see the badge underneath, and there are other bits on the doors etc. At least I hope that's what it is... 

Can't decide if I like the two-tone colour scheme though, it's a feature that seems to be making a bit of a comeback.

The blue is indeed protective film covering the chrome grill.

Two tone bonnets (hoods) have been a popular option on various Rollers for quite a few years. Mostly in the ME & DE Asia markets.

Lots of them in Dubai, for instance.

Chrome bonnets seem to be quite popular there.

Otherwise, I think the comments about the new Ghost are rather misplaced. I'm no fan of RR cars, but this new one is quite smart and good looking for a modern RR.

That is, until customers start specifying ghastly colour scheme options.

Rolls-Royce%20Ghost%202020%20-4.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t worry they all do that, we used to do a drop test of an assembled wheel onto the edge of a 6” steel block, and just to make sure a track test literally sliding sideways into a “standard kerb”, then of course there are the “Chuck holes” to negotiate, a series of right angled pot holes roughly 6” deep at alternating sides of the vehicle for about 20 yards.

If a Fiesta could get through that we were fairly confident your average housewife couldn’t buckle a wheel on the school run.........then again :lol:

Ah yes. They may 'all do that'. but from my perspective, passing those tests from our corner was paramount. 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Ah yes. They may 'all do that'. but from my perspective, passing those tests from our corner was paramount. 

It was from ours also......then again if we had a failure it was back to the supplier and a slap :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A Royce should ooze style and grace. The new ones are boxes on wheels..no grace or elegance there..

Nicest one to ride in? 1990s Silver Spirit ? The best of the bunch? Bentley Bentley Mulsanne Turbo R.. we used to borrow one to ferry VIPs around the British Defence Exhibitions..

They were boxy too but the headlight shape makes a difference..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

I think it looks OK apart from the front bumper and below, which all seems disjointed and square.  If the bumper was chrome and carried around the side to meet the wheel arch, and there were twin fog lights mounted under the bumper at each side, I think it would improve the look considerably.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Whilst the Bentley 'looks' like a Bentley, the Rolls doesn't, if you get my drift. No doubt styled with a view to the American market, as well as all of the markets located east of Dogger Bank.

Arguably this Rolls does not look like a Roller either. But I like it.

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/coachbuilt-rolls-royce-shooting-brake-revealed/42993

• Agree 1