The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

whats the loco

peanuts

The subject of the original photo was the bus behind the support wagon, with the comment "This is what it used to be like on Saturday mornings on the A62; crawling along at 4m.p.h. behind an outsize load"; and before the M62 was built, that's exactly what it was like!

I remember it well.  Travelling in a Hudson Ward of Leeds lorry to Liverpool.   Under the 'Dockers' Umbrella'.  Collect a load of grain and return to Leeds.  At times we would be the slow moving vehicle going 'up the hill'.  :dirol_mini:

There appears to be a handy description of the loco on the side of the low-loader, but it is at such an oblique angle that I can't quite read it. 

Edited to add, are the first words on the top line "Newton-Chambers"?

Edited by jonny777

17 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

There appears to be a handy description of the loco on the side of the low-loader, but it is at such an oblique angle that I can't quite read it. 

I think that the sign refers to the name of the hauliers.

Charlie

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

Towards the end of the top line there appears to be "DIESEL ELECTRIC" and the bottom line is certainly "STOCKTON ON TEES", which suggests MetroVic to me (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowesfield_Works).

I know very little of their output, but it bears quite a lot of similarity with the WAGR X class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAGR_X_class

Edited by Jeremy C
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The second line reads "Stockton on Tees" if that's any help.

Beaten to it with Stockton, but I agree there's a very close resemblance to the X-class.  Looking at the sign again it does look like "Metropolitan Vickers", but enlarged it goes to gibberish.

Edited by petethemole
updated

• RMweb Gold

The more I looked at the wording on the trailer the more I thought it said Metropolitan-Vickers. I had a quick Google and I think the loco is an XA class built for the Western Australia Government Railway. The locos were built at Stockton-on-Tees. They were built in three batches between 1954 and 1963, which fits with date of the photo. The arrangement of the grilles etc match the various photos I found. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I reckon it is an X/XA - the lack of portholes on the side threw me, but they have been blanked-off for transit, making me think they were something else.

Excellent detective work, if I may say so. 

Looks like one has been preserved - http://www.hothamvalleyrailway.com.au/xa_diesel_loco.htm

That looks to be Albion Farm in the background too with the chicken sheds.  Egg production locally was popular.  One of my neighbours was involved and said there was a bonus for producing 1 million eggs per year.  He missed that bonus 3 times apparently, only getting 950,000 or so.......

And mice too.....one of Larry Goddard's books tells of chaotic scenes at Delph station once when mice that had been bred for use in labs got out and ran amok until rounded up again.......

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

Newton chambers were based in Chapeltown sheffield part of the group that produced izal and the Ronseal range 

...... and the enclosed double-deck car carriers used on the ANGLO-SCOTTISH CAR CARRIER service.

John Isherwood.

21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Newton chambers were based in Chapeltown sheffield part of the group that produced izal and the Ronseal range. I do believe they had some connection with the steel industry as well in the past

They certainly owned collieries and coke-ovens; hence the wood preservative, disinfectant etc.

1 hour ago, S&DWatty said:

That looks to be Albion Farm in the background too with the chicken sheds.  Egg production locally was popular.  One of my neighbours was involved and said there was a bonus for producing 1 million eggs per year.  He missed that bonus 3 times apparently, only getting 950,000 or so.......

And mice too.....one of Larry Goddard's books tells of chaotic scenes at Delph station once when mice that had been bred for use in labs got out and ran amok until rounded up again.......

The photo came from the "Memories of Saddleworth" group on Faceache.

• Like 1