The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Gold

...birds and cats came to an agreement a long time ago. For every bird a cat takes, the birds will replace it with just one bird...

(I think - Terry Pratchett.)

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2021 at 21:57, doilum said:

This morning Oliver turns up at the back door demanding breakfast. My wife opened a pouch of one leading brand onto a clean plate and set it before him. He sniffed and licked before shaking his head and settling down on the steps. I took out a plate with a another leading brand which was quickly devoured.

My sister-in-law's husband* was sent out to scour the Lidls (or was it Aldis) of SE London and NW Kent for "Ocean Spray" - a cut price catfood with, going by the name, no more than the hint of aroma of fish - which was the only thing their cat would touch.

*How does one refer to such a person? Brother-in-law-in-law? I've never known.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

My sister-in-law's husband* was sent out to scour the Lidls (or was it Aldis) of SE London and NW Kent for "Ocean Spray" - a cut price catfood with, going by the name, no more than the hint of aroma of fish - which was the only thing their cat would touch.

If they are married isn't it just brother in law?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibling-in-law

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My Hornby suspension bridges have piers under the middle (bottom of the suspension) because one of the cats walked across it a number of years ago.

We were on a trip and leaving a campground after a week. One of the cats couldn't be located. We went all around the campground. I eventually noticed that the other cat was next to a drawer and I found the cat at the back of the sock drawer.R_D_0868.jpg.38d15c295be9f2bd7ee6ce23fa15c1cc.jpg

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Speaking of cats and bridges, here is my late Tyger doing a bridge inspection on an O scale bridge about three months after I moved in; the bridge had just been delivered (ebay win) along with another double-track version a couple of days before:

IMG_2307.JPG.cc39b4c56ca540c9354f9f91f04a9ce3.JPG

Note: I was able to sell the 2-track one to friend for his brother's LGB empire.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To replace a missing photo
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Following recent supply problems to local supermarkets it now comes via Amazon prime. Only the best for our visitor. Our surviving cat Teaser, catches about 50% of her food but does have a serious biscuit treat addiction.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Trog said:

Have just had a baby Blackbird removed from its nest in my log store and killed by a cat presumably belonging to one of my neighbours. Why people are allowed to just let such vicious and destructive vermin roam free is beyond me. 

Their is a line of thought that cats should be not be neutered immediately and allowed a litter, that way they will evolve over time and the need to hunt diminished.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Trog said:

Have just had a baby Blackbird removed from its nest in my log store and killed by a cat presumably belonging to one of my neighbours. Why people are allowed to just let such vicious and destructive vermin roam free is beyond me. 

The state of Victoria, Australia, had a large cull of feral cats a couple of years ago. They now have a huge rat problem, and don't know how to deal with it...

Cats are natural predators, it's what they do. They don't kill for fun. The vicious and destructive vermin are the ones on two legs who insist on meddling with nature...

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The state of Victoria, Australia, had a large cull of feral cats a couple of years ago. They now have a huge rat problem, and don't know how to deal with it...

Cats are natural predators, it's what they do. They don't kill for fun. The vicious and destructive vermin are the ones on two legs who insist on meddling with nature...

The same thing happened in my neighborhood in Baltimore, MD; eventually the feral cat community returned and the rats slowly disappeared. Tell Victoria to let the cats return; no cost to the taxpayer!

56 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There has been a few outbreaks of rats around here (gardeners compost heaps attract them) since my Tilly retired from the ratting business two years ago.  

• RMweb Premium

When we were out today, SWMBO bought a pram for Marco. He is a fully indoor cat and I think does not want to go out. He did not object to it and we took him around the block until we thought it too hot.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nick C said:

I do....  :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick C said:

And at least cats don't insist on trying to keep the rest of their kind alive artificially, even though they live (sometimes) thousands of miles away and are unknown to one another, in defiance of nature.

Some may find my comment cruel but the planet is being overrun by humans, so if it's deemed unacceptable to let humans die because of the forces of nature why do some people want to deny any animal similar protection?

Out of our two cats, one is far too laid back (lazy) to catch anything, the other occasionally brings a bird, two so far this year, both of which have been liberated seemingly unharmed. To put that into context there have been at least three that have flown into our windows with two certain deaths.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good point GC I always find it strange that we put down our pets when they get ill with something we can't cure but don't allow our fellow humans to do the same, even when they desperately want to, to end their suffering. 

However I think we should get back to cat piccies, much more pleasent! 

• Agree 5