The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

19 minutes ago, grahame said:

Get your cat microchipped - then there's no need for a collar.

Our current cat is microchipped, but it seems that you have to pay an additional sum for the device to be effective. We didn't know this until he went missing last week for four days. £18 has been paid more out of anxiety than anything else. He came back home at 0300 last Thursday hungry, thin, very dirty and very confused. He's now OK, sort of, but he's very clingy.

• Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, grahame said:

It was a flea collar, not one with a name nd contact number on it. Fleas don't tend to take much notice of a microchip! One and only time we've used a collar, though, never again. 

13 minutes ago, Hobby said:

It was a flea collar, not one with a name nd contact number on it. Fleas don't tend to take much notice of a microchip!

Flea control can be undertaken without the need for a collar.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, grahame said:

Flea control can be undertaken without the need for a collar.

Just as well, it's rather difficult to get the collar on the flea...

• Funny 5

1 minute ago, Edwin_m said:

But do you have to snip the capacitors out of the cat for it to run properly?

He should have had those snipped off when he was neutered.

;-)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, big jim said:

The kitten is now called Nicola!

ahes a little fighter, loves climbing up the side of her canvas playpen and ends up looking like a Garfield window stick on

Let her out for a fuss and play earlier 

A9D4A2BB-E926-4703-9372-3F79316C13CF.jpeg.4ea9e03d4dcc96e060d510879f93f75c.jpeg

EC84C72D-21EC-4881-8180-A35FC630EB68.jpeg.5710b5235af067c7cb470a5fac68b715.jpeg

With those expressions it's already obvious that she's going to be a cat that doesn't miss much.:)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2021 at 17:26, grahame said:

True, I never had a collar on Spike since he got chipped. Part of the reason was all the fur rubbing off his neck, another was he was costing me a fortune in collars/tags as he kept losing them. However when he did have his collar on, it meant the dozens of people who found him in/around their houses could call me right away (up to almost a mile away). They would have had to have taken him to a vet otherwise to get him scanned, which most people probably wouldn't bother with. However, the one time he went AWOL for 3 months, the chip was what got us reunited.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 22/06/2021 at 10:19, BrushVeteran said:

Over on the farm where we restore our buses we have an 'adopted' cat we call 'Sidney' and he follows us around everywhere. I do give him a few biscuits now ad again which I 'steal' from my own two at home but last week in the hot weather I unfortunately left my car windows open................................... 

IMG_3625.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

Catnav, aythangyow.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, big jim said:

Here are a few more pics and video of Nicola

Something tells me that, if you are fostering her, she will be very hard to give up to a future adopter!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a grammar error.
  • Agree 2

All I would say, not as a criticism (I've loved doing the spider finger thing with kittens and find their needle sharp but thankfully powerless claws and teeth no bother) it's probably a bad habit to get them into thinking a human hand is a plaything. Best to use toys for play and reserve tactile handing of young Mog for mutual grooming, feeding etc.

Take this advice as you see fit folks, each cat is different and a well looked after cat should be able to differentiate a kill or cuddle hand. But you'll often be able to tell a confused mistreated kitty by its reaction to a hand.

C6T. 

• Agree 3

I've always found that with a young kitten, 'play fighting' is part of the learning curve that it would have got from its mother. Also my reaction when the claws touch, or the teeth, is NEVER to pull away, that is when damage occurs! After a while the playfight becomes a trust thing, we do it to each other, building up trust so that we know that neither of us will hurt one another. My Rafferty, from the RSPCA about 12 yrears ago has never hurt me (nor me hurt him) as we bonded together this way. He still likes a playfight now and again, we both trust one another, and it always ends with a big 'thank you' head butt from him.

Stewart

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

One of our old cats ‘benson’ used to play fight but as soon as you went ‘ah ah ah’ he would stop fighting and start licking you better instead 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

Absolutely Stewart, it is very much a trust thing between the individual cat and the human and a loved cat will soon differentiate between play and fuss.

I only mention it in passing as I have known kittens of some less cat aware people that'll go straight into attack mode when a hand comes towards them, probably because cat never knew the intent of the human.

That's obviously not Jim and his cat-centric family and I'm sure Nicola will be fine.

C6T. 

• Like 5