The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianmianmianm said:

Please contact your local Cats Protection or other charity and get these kittens and their relaitves trapped and neutered. They will do this for free. You could easily have a feral colony of 25 in under 6 months time as these kittens will themselves be fertile in 3 months from now.  

They're not here now, but probably somewhere on the estate.  I think the mother is local, although still could be feral.  Some cats leave home to give birth.

4 hours ago, petethemole said:

Some cats leave home to give birth.

Quite so. Back in the early 70’s our neighbours cat gave birth to her kittens under our shed. We ended up adopting two of them. They were tortoise shell sisters and we named them Roberta and Isambard Kingdom Brunel (I was heavily into his legacy at the time). The names were subsequently shortened to Nobby & Dizzy.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

For many years I taught in a "temporary " classroom. Bought second hand in 1967 they were finally demolished in 2006. In the mid 80s a cat took up residence under the hut and gave birth to a litter of four kittens. Cat food and water was provided.  As the end of term approached I made plans with a member of a cat rescue group to come and catch the family. On the first day of the holiday we all turned up but there was no sign of the cat or kittens. When we returned for the new term a colleague who lived in the village reported that his neighbours cat had returned,  a journey of around 400 metres, along with four almost weaned kittens.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, petethemole said:

They're not here now, but probably somewhere on the estate.  I think the mother is local, although still could be feral.  Some cats leave home to give birth.

Please still report this. There is a cat population crisis in the UK at the moment, the general consensus if that the numbers are the worst they have been. 

The mum won't have moved far from where you saw them if she has kittens in tow. The charities are used to tracking down kittens in a lot of cases. 

There are active branch volunteers of Cats Protection in Southampton who you can contact, as well as the The Cat Welfare Group in the area that does similar work.  It takes a few minutes to drop either of them a message.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Deeps said:

Our last cat became too stressed when transported in any form of ‘cage’ so the routine was for her to just sit on my lap, with the wife driving, when taking her to the vets for its annual check-up and flu jab. She would have a collar and lead on (the cat, not my wife!) and although the police would have taken a grim view of the cat not being properly  secured all went well. 

In the vets waiting room the cat was quite happy on my lap, even when other people brought dogs in. I sensed there was a sort of truce between all the animals there as they knew what lay ahead and were mutually sympathetic to each other.

Harvey was similar.  A large tabby and white who simply refused to be caged.  He travelled on the back shelf of a hatchback.  We always took both cat and dog to the vet together; Harvey carried in, Toddy walking to heel.  Then Toddy would sit in front of whichever lap Harvey decided to sit on (which could be a complete stranger) purring very loudly.  Then into the consulting room together, onto the table, where one would be the patient and the other the nurse.  Never any problem.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This is where Fred spends the majority of his evenings waiting for darkness and the hunting hour to arrive.

f005.jpg.b72f600a906008b6849075e2e754b977.jpg

A couple of evenings ago, as Mrs R and I were settling down to watch the telly there was a loud farting noise. "Was that you?" I asked Mrs R. I was informed that it certainly was not. Well it wasn't me so I can only conclude that cats are capable of noisy farts; who knew?

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Our Cats are certainly capable of the "silent but violent " type.

The dog however sounds like someone pulling the neck of a rapidly deflating balloon and has that "it wasn't me expression" on her face. The Wife however can blow the duvet of the bed. Good job she doesn't read this!

Edited by didcot
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Remedee's first visit to the Vet went without too much grief, much mewing from the carry cage there and back but the last time she was in there I tore her away from her family...so probably justified.

Ok on the table, fat tail at the mean lady poking her with sharp metal. But she is now chipped and first jab done.

The healthcare plan bod wasn't there though, so I ended up handing over around £126, I'd be grateful if I'll get a large chunk of that back when I do sign up for their subscription payments...or pretty vexed if they don't.

C6T.

• Friendly/supportive 6

11 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

...... the look on the dog's face.. 🤣

It'll be off to the other end of the house as fast as possible to establish an alibi.

• Funny 3