The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

11 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Sad happening today.  I went to check on my mothers house (she has been in a nursing home for awhile) and found a dead cat in the front garden.  Stiff and cold so clearly dead for some time but no signs of injury and did not look uncared for.  Took it down to the local vet who I hope will read its microchip and let  its owners know.

Sadly cats can suffer sudden heart failure, which may have happened here. Let’s hope it’s been chipped and then its owners will know what’s happened rather than fretting and searching for their missing pet, they will no doubt be very grateful for your kind efforts in trying to ensure the owner is found. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

When we lost Oliver ,a regular visiting feral, to a sudden heart attack we got the vet to scan him but to no avail. Endof story? Not quite. Some months later my daughter saw a facebook request for information about a male tuxedo that hadn't been seen in a while.  She passed on the sad news and got several replies. Looks like Oliver had at least three feeding stops on his daily round and had originated as a farm cat about half a mile away.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Got Remedee booked in at the vet for a week on Friday, I asked about chipping and the receptionist said it'll likely be up to the veterinarian to assess whether she's big enough. She mentioned chipping at the same time as spaying (like Andi's Jessica) so that's only another four months away anyway.

They appear to run a scheme of payment much like my dentist in that rather than paying for each appointment I can pay a sub that'll cover much of the routine fees. As I'd like to give 'Dee regular healthcare this seems like a good idea to me, what's the general consensus?

And forgive me for using the thread for personal messaging but if Andi is on, which vet are you using mate? I've traditionally used Stowe Vet Centre in Bury Road. The most local to me and they've been very good to us.

C6T.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

And forgive me for using the thread for personal messaging but if Andi is on, which vet are you using mate? I've traditionally used Stowe Vet Centre in Bury Road. The most local to me and they've been very good to us.

They were always good when I lived that side of the country. now I'm in Cheltenham and using Medivet Leckhampton, formerly Vets On The Park who I've bee with for more than 20 years.

Andi

• Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

They were always good when I lived that side of the country. now I'm in Cheltenham and using Medivet Leckhampton, formerly Vets On The Park who I've bee with for more than 20 years.

Andi

Sorry Andi, as you didn't mention it when I offered a beer in the Gladstone or operations help on your Ipswich layout I assumed you were still resident in Combs (or thereabouts). I stand corrected.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A possible mistake, I gave Jessica some roast chicken broken up in my fingers to encourage her to eat after her op, now Felix is not good enough...

"I want chicken Dad"

And Pan and Jareth are thinking that if Jessica can have chicken so can they.

Jessica did bring me toys last night demanding that I throw them so she could play fetch so she is very much back to herself. She wouldn't keep the collar or the dressing on but isn't at all bothered by the surgery site on her side so I'm happy to leave her to be herself.

And now she has just decided that she will eat the Felix, but only because the bowl is ON MY DESK!

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
Add more
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

And now she has just decided that she will eat the Felix, but only because the bowl is ON MY DESK!

You are definitely being kept well under paw and with any cat that is exactly how it should be.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

10 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Felix is not good enough...

"I want chicken Dad"

A rod for your own back... The wife bought coldwater prawns for Myla which she loves (Phoebe won't touch them) and after extensive (expensive) research we now know; Aldi, not acceptable. Tesco, Morrisons, yes, ok if you insist. Waitrose, yes, favourite!. But all up to a point where she gets bored and leaves them, until 2 weeks later when they are again nectar of the gods.

Having had multiple cases where a plate of Encore fish (in jelly NOT in broth - heaven fofend) is refused, she tried putting it on the dining table and plonking the reluctant cat next to it - it seems to taste FAR better that way (but we now have a cat that expects its dinner on the table).

Felix can only be in jelly (as good as it looks only mind) and we cycle through phases of "love beef!" "Can't stand beef." "Love Tuna!" "Can't stand Tuna." ad nauseam to sounds of "What?! But you wolfed down a whole pouch of it yesterday!!"

(sigh) My son who is currently visiting says we treat the cats like they are our children - but where's the problem with that?! 😀

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I hope you're holding it tilted to the correct angle😉

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Tolly, who departed some 3 years ago, had a love of prawns whereas his sister (also departed) wouldn't touch them. I recall buying a small 'snack pack' for him in M&S and being asked by the cashier whether I needed any cutlery for it - when I replied that they were for my cat she looked appalled!

Here he is serving himself:

He is much missed!

Tony

I can just imagine the VoiceOver on the TV ad.  😀

"Not just prawns.  They're M&S prawns."

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

Further news on the little cat.  It was microchipped so the owners have been informed.  Apparently hadn't been missing for long so at least they haven't had to worry for long. Probably suffered from heart failure.

A clear indication of the value of microchips in cats.

Edited by eastglosmog
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

(sigh) My son who is currently visiting says we treat the cats like they are our children - but where's the problem with that?! 😀

That's not good enough! You should be treating them far better than you own children!

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dagworth said:

A possible mistake, I gave Jessica some roast chicken broken up in my fingers to encourage her to eat after her op, now Felix is not good enough...

"I want chicken Dad"

And Pan and Jareth are thinking that if Jessica can have chicken so can they.

Jessica did bring me toys last night demanding that I throw them so she could play fetch so she is very much back to herself. She wouldn't keep the collar or the dressing on but isn't at all bothered by the surgery site on her side so I'm happy to leave her to be herself.

Andi

As  for making a rod for your own back, 3 years ago neighbours brought a small kitten in to us.  Found in their allotment and less than six weeks old, she was clearly infected with cat flu - streaming eyes.  She was however eating Felix and seemed to thoroughly enjoy it.  This was late evening so it was next day when she went to the vet for treatment.  On return home Charlie (as now named) had lost her appetite.  She would drink cat milk but seemed to have forgotten how to eat solids. 

In desperation we took Felix and semi-forced it into her mouth.  She ate.  So we held some in our hand and she ate some more.

3 years on and she still demands to eat her Felix from the sachet.  We slowly squeeze it out of the top of the sachet while she breaks off chunks and chews.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Not a thread I usually frequent, but I thought that these might be appropriate offerings. The artist is Bec Dennison, if you want your gable end enlivened!

Look again - The Cat House - Newhaven 20 6 2024.jpg

Look again - The Cat House artwork and inspiration - Newhaven 20 6 2024.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 4