The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

I just played that clip and next second had a wide eyed Inky arrive from across the room looking for a fight…..

Roger

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Dagworth said:

It's interesting to note that the On Dogs thread, though started before this one, has only a tenth of the replies. Can we conclude that RMweb is ruled by cats?

Andi

Humankind is ruled by cats, surely?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 21C123 said:

I just played that clip and next second had a wide eyed Inky arrive from across the room looking for a fight…..

Roger

My two were somewhat curious. She climbed up on the settee to get to the speakers (laptop connected to hifi) and he came from his food bowl to see what was happening. 

Andi

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

You're half right.

C6T.

Actually that's unfair. When I were a nipper, Dad's girlfriend had an Alsatian called Odin and he was a lovely dog. I knew that from having to share the back of a Reliant Supervan III with him and he didn't want to rip my face off.

However I've often found dogs, and horses for that matter, basically daft animals. Spend four hours with a cat though and you will find a complexity of thinking. It's that unknown I think I find appealing, and when eventually you do actually connect with mog on a level you can read them, that's a good thing.

C6T.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Well what a day.

We have been expecting the feline family to increase from 22 for a few weeks now.  We have a black and white cat called imaginatively <<Felix>>.  For a few weeks we have spotted a near doppelganger - slightly less well fed and rather dirtier - around the garden and nipping in and out of our two buildings - presumably helping themselves to free food.  

However today while I was out doing the main shopping, OH nipped around the corner in torrential rain to get a couple of bits and bobs.  On the way back she was accosted by a very wet ,unhappy  and distressed ginger cat which she scooped up and brought home.  Very hungry and thirsty, once the initial needs were sorted a quick inspection showed a mass on the rear foot about the size of a golf ball which was obviously very painful.  When I got home we allowed her to settle and then decided an emergency call to the vet was in order (closed of course on a Saturday afternoon.)  Very friendly and comfortable around people (the cat as well as the vet)  - which not all of ours are when they arrive - she has clearly been used to being handled (only the cat.  I think the vet might complain.)

So a rush down the hill to the vet.  She has now received antibiotics and is being rehydrated and will stay with the vet over the weekend with surgery expected on Monday morning.  All being well she may just have to loose a toe but she may need more serious attention depending on what is found once the operation commences.

Of course, she carried no tattoo or chip - both a legal requirement in France -  and as I light heartedly exchanged with the vet, the next one will be the first.

Well whatever it looks as if number 23 is now well on the way to installation in our family.    I will have to find a better name than number 23 though!2

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

...snip... Well whatever it looks as if number 23 is now well on the way to installation in our family.    I will have to find a better name than number 23 though!2

If you had started the first cat with a name beginning with an "A", the second with a "B". there would be no problem as you would till have three more to go!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To do a minor edit.
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

We have had a slight problem with litter this week.

Our vet didn't like the clumping litter we were using and also thought it was too deep. We bought a couple of new litter trays and some old type clay litter. We have spent a couple of frustrating days not being able to see the liquid or remove it from the tray. We have decided to go back to clumping but low level.

Other problem is that the makers have gone completely over to lightweight litter.  We rejected this as long a possible as it was too light to fall promptly off the back of the cat.

15 hours ago, big jim said:

Also this made me laugh 

760B5479-1039-4C8A-BEF4-0485D511588B.jpeg.e48593a3ac14ead2ae771ad002c9a7e7.jpeg

Hmm, I don't find it so amusing. Cats are gonna kill stuff. So where does cartoon guy even get the idea that his outrage is going to alter his mog's hardwired evolution to find, hunt and dispatch small animals?

The TV show 'Cat from Hell' often demonstrated this, that the cat was less of a problem than said 'owners' misconceptions of how they expected a cat to behave.

I hope cartoon cat proceeded to defecate cartoon guy's shoes.

C6T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Ours are too busy trying to scrounge pieces of chicken to worry about such minor matters!

EDIT

One shouldn't scold a cat (or dog) for being a cat and hunting. One feigns pleasure/admiration and removes the offending item when they aren't looking.

As, mentioned in the On Dogs thread, we said goodbye to Deacon yesterday. One of his last exploits was to bring in a large rat, obviously left as a present by one of the cats!!!! (This was quickly disposed of, needless to say!).

That same morning,  I went out to bring in the rubbish bin (collected daily first thing in the morning here) and on returning saw a tiny face peering out of the shelter box we keep on our doorstep. At first I thought it was one of the kittens we have already, "How did she get out? - She must have been out all night!

Then I realised it was too small, so was another kitten. Inspection showed a second kitten inside the box.

Panic - get them inside, fed, cleaned and housed, all while keeping an eye out for their mother.

There's been no sign of her, so we assume they have been left to the care of the "Crazy cat people".

Anyway they soon settled in and luckily are old enough for solid food, though still only paste. The other residents have all accepted them, which is good.

They are not worried about the dogs at all, despite not being much bigger than their paws.

Pandora is beautiful!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

No sign of her, so we assume they have been left to the care of the "Crazy cat people".

Anyway they soon settled in and luckily are old enough for solid food, though still only paste. The other residents have all accepted them, which is good. They are not worried about the dogs at all, despite not being much bigger than their paws.

Pandora is beautiful!

Photos of the bundles of joy, please!

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Well the young lady reported on last Saturday is now home - minus one toe.  [The next step would have been amputation of the full leg.]   Me minus a number of €uros but there you go.

Very quiet and not inclined to take food, though she will take cat milk.  It is going to take a few days at least for her to settle in.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4